Chairman's Birthday Message to the U.S. Air Force

Old September 18th 04, 03:54 AM
Otis Willie

Default Chairman's Birthday Message to the U.S. Air Force

Chairman's Birthday Message to the U.S. Air Force

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2...004091708.html.

{EXCERPT} Special to American Forces Press Service

On the 18th of September, 1947, our Nation created the United States
Air Force. Over the last 57 years, the Air Force has changed
dramatically, employing new technology and responding to a changing
world. Today, we plan and fight as a Joint and Total Force, and the US
Air Force is performing all of its missions superbly, from patrolling
the skies of America, airlifting supplies to Afghanistan and fighting
in Iraq.

The War on Terrorism is a war we must win, to preserve our freedoms
and protect our way of life. The U.S. Air Force has a crucial role in
this war, accomplishing vital expeditionary and long range combat
missions, along with dozens of other missions critical to our national
security: flying satellites, controlling airfields, maintaining our
ballistic missile fleet, training technicians and leaders, and many
more. Preserving our liberties takes determination, hard work and
talent. The task is huge, but I stand completely confident that
America's Airmen are up to the challenge.

Today's Air Force inherits a tremendous legacy: a century of flight
and a history of boundless accomplishments. That legacy is in very
good hands. On behalf of the Joint Chiefs, to all the men and women in
the United States Air Force who serve, and have served, I thank you.
Happy Birthday, U.S. Air Force!

Sincerely,

Gen. Richard B. Myers, USAF

NOTE: View the original version of this web page on DefenseLINK, the
official website of the U.S. Department of Defense, at

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/Sep2...004091708.html.

Otis Willie
Associate Librarian
The American War Library