Another IFR Haiku

Old December 15th 07, 02:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dane Spearing

Default Another IFR Haiku

Instrument basics
Time, tune, turn, throttle, and talk
Save your life they will
Old December 15th 07, 04:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Time, turn, tune, throttle and talk.

You know the general heading, so turn then tune.

Old December 15th 07, 05:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Barry

Time, turn, tune, throttle and talk.

You know the general heading, so turn then tune.

I learned and teach:

Turn, Time, Twist, Throttle, Talk

Old December 16th 07, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

That too will work, but tuning is like talking, it can wait.
But time is often the reason to turn, so it often needs to come first.

. ..

Old December 16th 07, 07:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hilton

Jim,

FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember to
start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I put
my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.

As an aside, it is consistent with all approaches; i.e. yes, I time an ILS
because I want to and because my timing is automatic when I cross the fix -
same procedure for all. I never meant to move this thread into a "Do you
time the ILS?", so let 's not.

Hilton

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
That too will work, but tuning is like talking, it can wait.
But time is often the reason to turn, so it often needs to come first.

. ..

Old December 16th 07, 10:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Makes sense.
And time, but only as close as is reasonable, if my ground speed is the
issue, without GPS, it is just a guess based on winds that I don't know.

So I time to 10 seconds and remember that I need to see the runway 1/2 to 1
mile ahead in order to land. If I was on the ILS GS I'm aimed at the middle
of the touchdown and would be at 200 feet near the approach lights. If the
GS fails, you level out at the MDA and will be high. Unless the runway is
long [most ILS runways are] it will be hard to make a normal landing. If
the GS fails below MDA and above DH and you don't have the lights, a missed
approach is the safe thing to do.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFII-ASMELI, A&P

--
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
"Hilton" wrote in message
t...
| Jim,
|
| FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember to
| start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I
put
| my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
| Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.
|
| As an aside, it is consistent with all approaches; i.e. yes, I time an ILS
| because I want to and because my timing is automatic when I cross the
fix -
| same procedure for all. I never meant to move this thread into a "Do you
| time the ILS?", so let 's not.
|
| Hilton
|

| "Jim Macklin" wrote in message
| That too will work, but tuning is like talking, it can wait.
| But time is often the reason to turn, so it often needs to come first.
|

| "Barry" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Time, turn, tune, throttle and talk.
| |
| |
| | You know the general heading, so turn then tune.
| |
| | I learned and teach:
| |

Old December 17th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Seems that GPS makes the time thing irrelevant.

Watch the little airplane on the screen.

[...]

"Hilton" wrote in message
t...
| Jim,
|
| FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember
| start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I
put
| my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
| Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.
|
| As an aside, it is consistent with all approaches; i.e. yes, I time an
ILS
| because I want to and because my timing is automatic when I cross the
fix -
| same procedure for all. I never meant to move this thread into a "Do
you
| time the ILS?", so let 's not.
|
| Hilton
|

| "Jim Macklin" wrote in message
| That too will work, but tuning is like talking, it can wait.
| But time is often the reason to turn, so it often needs to come first.
|

| "Barry" wrote in message
| . ..
| | Time, turn, tune, throttle and talk.
| |
| |
| | You know the general heading, so turn then tune.
| |
| | I learned and teach:
| |

Old December 18th 07, 01:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Dave J

Also, FWIW, I managed to earn an instrument rating (and use it for a
couple of years before the $ ran out) without ever learning or using
any variation of the 4 or 5 T's. Sure, some of the aircraft I flew had
old bits of label tape with those words peeling off here and there,
but they remain something of a curiosity to me.

My instructor used a cribbed version if the PIC syllabus, I think.

-- dave j

Old December 18th 07, 11:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Dave J wrote:
Also, FWIW, I managed to earn an instrument rating (and use it for a
couple of years before the $ ran out) without ever learning or using
any variation of the 4 or 5 T's. Sure, some of the aircraft I flew had
old bits of label tape with those words peeling off here and there,
but they remain something of a curiosity to me.

My instructor used a cribbed version if the PIC syllabus, I think.

Nowadays, PIC sticks "5T's" labels all over the place. G
Old December 19th 07, 04:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrew Sarangan

On Dec 16, 2:57 am, "Hilton" wrote:
Jim,

FWIW: I put time first. Why? For "Turn, Time...", I have to remember to
start the time during/after the turn. But when using "Time, Turn..." I put
my finger on the start button, and as soon as I hit the fix, I hit the
Start - bingo one less thing to remember and more accurate timing too.

As an aside, it is consistent with all approaches; i.e. yes, I time an ILS
because I want to and because my timing is automatic when I cross the fix -
same procedure for all. I never meant to move this thread into a "Do you
time the ILS?", so let 's not.

Hilton

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

I never learned the 5T's (or 4T's) and don't teach, and don't
understand it either. Is it to remember the sequence or the actions
themselves?