One more question...

Old July 7th 07, 04:07 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith

Default One more question...

In what format do you save your images on your camera's data card?
RAW
JPG/SHQ
JPG/HQ
(The E-510 will not shoot burst/continuous in RAW format mode.)
Old July 8th 07, 01:23 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scubabix

I shoot everything in RAW and then process with Adobe Lightroom.

Rob

--
Support www.HonorFlight.org
Show a Vet that you remember.

Old July 8th 07, 02:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Scubabix wrote:
I shoot everything in RAW and then process with Adobe Lightroom.

Rob

Jeebus Rob, at least wear a towel, there are innocent bystanders around
;-)

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old July 8th 07, 05:57 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

I generaly shoot in High JPG unless I am doing portraits, tricky exposures
or weird lighting. Then I shoot in RAW. Image noise and resolution is not
a problem as long as you are in the highest quality JPG.

As matter of fact I recently sold a 60+ inch enlargement and few smaller
ones that where shot with a borrowed EOS 5D in high JPG to a contractor.
Someone else had done a similar shoot with a Nikon D2Xs and shot their
images in RAW. In the end even though I was several hundred dollars more,
the contractor chose my images for enlargement. Quite simply I had better
colour and less noise than the Nikon shooter. To be fair about this though
I still say the Nikon system has the best flash technology of any of the
current camera systems.

It's a case by case basis for the old argument over which is better, RAW or
JPG. I have seen and encountered many situations in which RAW is the only
way to go, and many other times where JPG is best choice.

For software I would encourage you to download trial versions of:

Lightroom from Adobe,
IView Media Pro by Microsoft,

Capture One by Phase One,

and if your a Mac aficionado,

Aperture by Apple.

I have or have worked with almost all of these titles (Capture One is the
exception), and all are VERY VERY good.

Good Luck,

Andrew

Old July 8th 07, 06:46 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith

Thanks Andrew.
One of the things I have been told is that Lightroom is preferred over
Aperature because it integrates with Photoshop seamlessly, whereas
Aperature requires some fiddling to get it to work with Photoshop.
I do use Mac's and and played with Aperature a little but do not have
any experience with Lightroom. I am told they are very similar.

To the group:
How much RAM does it take to get RAW to load faster?
(All my RAW images are in the 8-11 MB file size.)

Old July 8th 07, 07:10 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Scubabix

"john smith" wrote in message
Thanks Andrew.
One of the things I have been told is that Lightroom is preferred over
Aperature because it integrates with Photoshop seamlessly, whereas
Aperature requires some fiddling to get it to work with Photoshop.
I do use Mac's and and played with Aperature a little but do not have any
experience with Lightroom. I am told they are very similar.

To the group:
How much RAM does it take to get RAW to load faster?
(All my RAW images are in the 8-11 MB file size.)

Any additional RAM will allow your system to run faster. I don't have any
experience with Aperture, but, I really like Lightroom because of the
previously mentioned integration with PS. If I'm just processing the image
and not manipulating it, I do almost everything in Lightroom.

Rob

Old July 9th 07, 12:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob Harrington

john smith wrote in news:468fac83$0$12223
:

In what format do you save your images on your camera's data card?
RAW
JPG/SHQ
JPG/HQ
(The E-510 will not shoot burst/continuous in RAW format mode.)

I shoot RAW + JPG (for a quick review) at the highest resolution - almost 40
years of shooting film has taught me it's a Good Thing to have a decent
original to work from.

I still chuckle at myself every time I swap CF cards after carefully turning
my back to the sun so I can keep them in shade...

Bob ^,,^
Old July 9th 07, 01:50 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Andrew-S

My Mac is running at 2 gigs of Ram (it's only a Macbook).

My PC has 4 gigs of ram

and my PC LapTop has 2 Gigs.

If my shoot runs a thousand images or more images I hate life on either the
Mac or the PC Laptop. My Pc Desktop just groans once and I have my thousand
or more images in JPG in about 10 minutes. If the images are in raw make
that a 1000 images in about 20 minutes.

Word of advise from someone who sells cameras and processes images in
batches of a 1000. Don't get too hung up on the power of Raw on the other
hand don't believe that a JPG can do everything. Each has their merits and
weaknesses; an intellegent balance of when to shoot one versus the other is
the best way.

Andrew

Old July 9th 07, 02:25 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
john smith[_2_]

"Andrew-S" wrote:

My Mac is running at 2 gigs of Ram (it's only a Macbook).
My PC has 4 gigs of ram and my PC LapTop has 2 Gigs.
If my shoot runs a thousand images or more images I hate life on either the
Mac or the PC Laptop. My Pc Desktop just groans once and I have my thousand
or more images in JPG in about 10 minutes. If the images are in raw make
that a 1000 images in about 20 minutes.
Word of advise from someone who sells cameras and processes images in
batches of a 1000. Don't get too hung up on the power of Raw on the other
hand don't believe that a JPG can do everything. Each has their merits and
weaknesses; an intellegent balance of when to shoot one versus the other is
the best way.

So the moral of the story is, have more RAM than the size of your
datacard? :-))
Old July 9th 07, 02:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Clairbear

"john smith" wrote in message
Thanks Andrew.
One of the things I have been told is that Lightroom is preferred
over Aperature because it integrates with Photoshop seamlessly,
whereas Aperature requires some fiddling to get it to work with
Photoshop. I do use Mac's and and played with Aperature a little but
do not have any experience with Lightroom. I am told they are very
similar.

To the group:
How much RAM does it take to get RAW to load faster?
(All my RAW images are in the 8-11 MB file size.)

Raw is good for the really important jobs but Jpegs a best fo the everyday
volume that I shoot