New fuel for GA?

Old May 13th 08, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default New fuel for GA?

Alan wrote:
In article Bertie the Bunyip writes:

Tell me this, what do you make of his claim that you can pour this stuff
straight into an airplane set up for Avgas? No timing or mixture
changes, no hardware changes?

If it really is a substitute for 100LL, then that would be exactly
what one would do.

A pretty big 'if', though. If he can really make the stuff, why is
he talking instead of mixing? If you can put avgas out at 1/2 the price
as he seemed to be claiming, he could get a lot of attention with a
pump pumping for $2.499 / gallon.

Of course, if he makes the stuff without lead, then I don't see why
it wouldn't work in most cars as well. At $2.499 / gallon, he could
sell all he could make.

*IF* he can do it.

Based on the claims, the only unknown for auto use would be the
oxygenate requirement, i.e. would alcohol have to be added and would
it be compatible.

As for sales, if he could really make the stuff significantly cheaper,
why isn't he doing it now?

The US isn't the only market for fuel in the world.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old May 13th 08, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Tell me this, what do you make of his claim that you can pour this
stuff straight into an airplane set up for Avgas? No timing or
mixture changes, no hardware changes?

Timing? probably, if the octane rating is there.

Mixture? You would probably have to adjust mixture accordingly. The
different fuel density would probably require adjustments to float
levels.

Other hardware changes?

I would have to see the materials compatibility tests before I started
using it. It has been known since the 1950s that the synthetic rubber
used in hoses, etc. can tolerate either petroleum-based or
parrafin-based fuels.

The problems arise when switching (either way) between the two, since
each type fuel has its own effect on the polymers.

Well, my luscombe had virtually nothing in the fuel system vunerable to
anything this side of Skydrol, but only because I installed a metal
float and an automotive fuel line. The float seat is metal of course and
there's nothing else in the system that anythign can melt. My KCAB is
anouther thing altogether. The LeBlond I'm going to have to check, but I
think it has a standard MS carb form the thirties anyway, so it should
be fine.

What about the flexible hose from the gascolator to the carburetor? I
would not use a hard metal line because of engine vibration and flexing.

It is the synthetic materials use in hoses that is mentioned in my
reference.

If you can find one (I found mine by accident) a good reference is:

"Aviation Fuels and Their Effects on Engine Performance,"
NAVAIR-06-5-501
USAF T.O. No. 06-5-4,
prepared by Ethyl Corp
supplied to
U.S. Air Forces
on Purchase Order AF-33(600)5312

Dept of the Navy BuAer
on contract No. 52-2002
Copyright 1951 by Ethyl Corp.

It is a comprehensive guide to aviation fuels and potential aviation
fuels and lists energy output, vapor pressure, octane rating, density
and numerous other pertinent qualities of those fuels.

It makes specific note of the potential materials compatibility problems
when switching between fuel bases.

Old May 13th 08, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news
In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Orval Fairbairn wrote in
news_r_fairbairn-D13E8E.10215613052008@70-3-168-

216.area5.spcsdns.ne
t:

In article ,
Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

[...]

We made one up from an automotive line that was resistant to every fuel
we intended to put in, including ethanol. I couldn't tell you which it
was now cause the airplane is gone. I'll ask the guy who made it up for
me what it was, though.

It is the synthetic materials use in hoses that is mentioned in my
reference.

Yeah, I figured, but there's all sorts of other rubbers and platics in a
modern system as well.

If you can find one (I found mine by accident) a good reference is:

"Aviation Fuels and Their Effects on Engine Performance,"
NAVAIR-06-5-501
USAF T.O. No. 06-5-4,
prepared by Ethyl Corp
supplied to
U.S. Air Forces
on Purchase Order AF-33(600)5312

Dept of the Navy BuAer
on contract No. 52-2002
Copyright 1951 by Ethyl Corp.

It is a comprehensive guide to aviation fuels and potential aviation
fuels and lists energy output, vapor pressure, octane rating, density
and numerous other pertinent qualities of those fuels.

It makes specific note of the potential materials compatibility
problems when switching between fuel bases.

Good stuff!

Bertie
Old May 13th 08, 10:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .

We made one up from an automotive line that was resistant to every fuel
we intended to put in, including ethanol. I couldn't tell you which it
was now cause the airplane is gone. I'll ask the guy who made it up for
me what it was, though.

It is the synthetic materials use in hoses that is mentioned in my
reference.

Yeah, I figured, but there's all sorts of other rubbers and platics in a
modern system as well.

Here we go again. Another "dog ate the homework" story.

You lying piece of ****. You don't even fly.

Funny when some one catches your ass lying.

Old May 14th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in news:58oWj.1156$xF6.574
@newsfe20.lga:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
.. .

We made one up from an automotive line that was resistant to every

fuel
we intended to put in, including ethanol. I couldn't tell you which

it
was now cause the airplane is gone. I'll ask the guy who made it up

for
me what it was, though.

It is the synthetic materials use in hoses that is mentioned in my
reference.

Yeah, I figured, but there's all sorts of other rubbers and platics

in a
modern system as well.

Here we go again. Another "dog ate the homework" story.

You lying piece of ****. You don't even fly.

Funny when some one catches your ass lying.

Yeh, right.

That'll come to a bit of a surprise to the 757 I just left standing on
the ramp.

Bertie