Celebrity Pilots

Old February 21st 05, 05:50 PM
mindenpilot

"Bob Noel" wrote in message
In article lXlSd.37714$4q6.18320@attbi_s01,
"Jay Honeck" wrote:

How would young superstars have time? This is not a casual passion, is
it?

Young superstar actors, unless they are in a TV series, work an average
of
10 - 20 weeks per year.

The rest of their time is spent schmoozing, partying, and feeling great
angst (in preparation for their next role, of course). Hell, look at
Travolta. He makes two movies per year, earning enough to support a
Gulfstream and a Boeing 707. The rest of the time, he plays.

Now compare this to most of us, working full-time, with families...

I was under the impression that at least some superstars put in
considerable time
training (physical and acting skill).

--
Bob Noel
looking for a sig the lawyers will like

Even so, if I can get a PP-ASEL and own my own plane by the age of 30, with
a (more than) full time job and a wife and three daughters, then any "star"
with an unlimited budget and lots of free time should be able to accomplish
the same, no?

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old February 21st 05, 06:19 PM
ShawnD2112

I believe, and this is just based on rumor, that Angelina learned to fly
here in the UK.

Shawn

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
While contemplating a "Celebrity Pilot's Suite" (or something like that) I
was just absent-mindedly searching the FAA database for movie stars, and
found this:
Name : JOLIE, ANGELINA
Airman's Address : 1990 S BUNDY DR
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90025-5240
FAA Region : Western/Pacific
Date of Medical : Jun, 2004
Class of Medical : 3
Expiration of Class 3 privileges : Jun, 2007
Airman Certificates : Student Pilot
: Private Pilot (foreign based)
Airplane Single Engine Land
Any idea what the "Private Pilot (foreign based)" is all about? Does
this mean she's certificated in other countries that our own FAA doesn't
recognize as legit?

I know Harrison Ford and Tom Cruise are pilots, but can you list any
others?

Anyone know how to get in touch with these folks? I presume the addresses
listed in the database really aren't where they live, but it would be fun
to have pictures of each celebrity pilot in the suite, preferably
autographed...

Any ideas?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 21st 05, 06:24 PM
Icebound

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
While contemplating a "Celebrity Pilot's Suite" (or something like that) I
was just absent-mindedly searching the FAA database for movie stars, and
found this:
Name : JOLIE, ANGELINA

You could talk to her instructor, and score the gift which she gave him to
add it to the suite decor.......

http://www.femalefirst.co.uk/celebrity/7642004.htm

Old February 21st 05, 07:35 PM
Joe Johnson

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"John T" wrote in message

pilots licenses (certificates, if you're one of the picky)

It is not a question of picky. A certificate is what it is. Not a

permit,
license, pass, ticket, or rating. A certificate.

The FAA uses "certificate" and "license" essentially interchangably in
various publications...

Old February 21st 05, 08:01 PM
Casey Wilson

"Joe Johnson" wrote in message

"Some Guy" wrote in message

"John T" wrote in message

pilots licenses (certificates, if you're one of the picky)

It is not a question of picky. A certificate is what it is. Not a

permit,
license, pass, ticket, or rating. A certificate.

The FAA uses "certificate" and "license" essentially interchangably in
various publications...

Good point Joe.
Besides, a certificate is a "...written or printed statement testifying
to a fact, qualification..." and a license is "a formal permission to do
something; especially, authorization by law to do some specified thing..."
[Webster's Unabridged]
As in, the airman's certificate is a pilot's license to fly. The license
may or may not be a document.
In other words, I have a pilot's license granted by my airman's
certificate.
Some Guys just need to get over it.

Old February 21st 05, 08:52 PM
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:01:52 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote in Q6rSd.40466$uc.27073@trnddc03::

the airman's certificate is a pilot's license to fly.

I think the distinction between a certificate and a license lies in
whether the holder has an intrinsic right, or is granted permission.
A certificate of competency enables the holder to exercise his right.
A license grants the holder permission to engage in an activity. A
right cannot be denied; a privilege can.
Old February 21st 05, 09:13 PM
Stefan

Larry Dighera wrote:

A right cannot be denied; a privilege can.

Well, looking at the days after that famous date, or the restricted
areas, be they temporairy or permanent, or airspace A for VFR pilots,
(to be continued), I'd say it's a license then.

Stefan
Old February 21st 05, 10:15 PM
Icebound

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 20:01:52 GMT, "Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com
wrote in Q6rSd.40466$uc.27073@trnddc03::

the airman's certificate is a pilot's license to fly.

I think the distinction between a certificate and a license lies in
whether the holder has an intrinsic right, or is granted permission.
A certificate of competency enables the holder to exercise his right.
A license grants the holder permission to engage in an activity. A
right cannot be denied; a privilege can.

A certificate is a piece of paper. That piece of paper, appropriately
prepared, witnessed, notarized... may certify that we have a right to DO
something(carry a gun?). Or it may certify that we ARE something(legally
blind?). Or it may certify that we are competent at something (weld
aluminum?). Or it may certify that we OWN something( car?). Or it may
simply certify that we took a course in something, without reference to
whether we actually passed it or not (worker safety?)

When it certifies that we have a right to DO something (carry a gun?), it is
commonly called a License, but who really cares?

Sometime, in order to be "licensed" to DO something, we also have to be
competent at it (perform surgery, fly an airplane?)

A certificate of competency gives no rights at all, without the associated
authority (license) that actually permits the activity.

Old February 21st 05, 11:16 PM
Brian Burger

There was a good article/interview in "Esquire" magazine w/ Angela Jolie
sometime in the last six months.

She said a couple of intelligent things about flying small aircraft, raved
about her first solo, too.

I'll see if I can find that issue at work and post some of the
flying-related parts of her interview. (working at a public library does
have some benefits...)

Brian
www.warbard.ca/avgas/

Old February 21st 05, 11:23 PM
Alan

I believe Coonts sold the Cannibal Queen several years ago.

Turns out that the "mystery" yellow biplane flying over my house every
week-end one summer was Coonts learning to fly it. The following year
I saw the book at the Boulder Book Store, devoured it and then met
Coonts at a book signing. Asked him about getting a ride in the plane
and he said to contact Dakota Ridge Aviation, which I did and got a
ride with his instructor, John Weisbart.

The Cannibal Queen was the most expensive book I have ever read
because reading the book led me to taking the ride which led me to
taking flying lessons in 1994, then buying my own plane, 1960 C182!

I used to run into Stephen Coonts at the Boulder airport before he
moved and he was a terrific guy.

The most recent twist to this is when I took my wife's cousin up for a
ride in my plane just before she began her second year at the Naval
Academy. Let her take the controls and she exhibited some real
natural flying ability. She loved it and took flying lessons in
Annapolis. Well, turns out she put in for pilots training upon
graduation and was granted a spot as a Navy Pilot in Pensacola. When
I heard this, I emailed Coonts from his website and asked that if he
had a hardcover copy of The Cannibal Queen I would like to buy it and
have him inscribe a message to Abby.

About a week later I received the book with a nice message and he
didn't ask for payment. He's a real class act who absolutely loves
flying.

Alan Bloom
Dogs can fly.
http://www.flyingmutts.com

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 05:25:51 GMT, tony roberts
wrote:

I'm a big Coonts fan, but I have to wonder if he is well known enough
generally?
His "Cannibal Queen" Stearman adventure made a great story.
Anyone know if he still has it?

Tony
C-GICE

In article 20dSd.35977$wc.15629@trnddc07,
"Casey Wilson" N2310D @ gmail.com wrote:

Stephen Coonts, author of the "Intruder" novel series. Owns a few airplanes
including the Cannibal Queen, a beautiful Steerman.

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
While contemplating a "Celebrity Pilot's Suite" (or something like that) I
was just absent-mindedly searching the FAA database for movie stars, and
found this:
Name : JOLIE, ANGELINA
Airman's Address : 1990 S BUNDY DR
LOS ANGELES, CA, 90025-5240