On hydration

Old March 29th 05, 07:03 AM
Ted Wagner

Default On hydration

This observation motivated by the recent discussion on hydration.

Just under a year ago I started my x/c career in Arizona, flying at Estrella
and Turf. Needless to say these are not cool places in the summer. When the
weather turned hot (which was in mid-April last year) I followed the
conventional wisdom of "you can't drink too much water". In June and July I
was drinking a gallon of water while rigging and another quart during lunch.
While flying I would knock off a 100-ounce Camelbak and most of a second
one.

But I experienced a consistent problem: in the latter part of my flights, I
would get dizzy, disoriented, and nauseous. At least one flight was aborted
prematurely because I just didn't feel fit to walk or talk, much less fly.

When I shared my experiences with a couple of seasoned Arizona pilots, they
independently pointed out to me that drinking too much water can cause an
electrolyte imbalance in the body, leading to the symptoms I described. They
suggested drinking a quart of two of Gatorade as needed during rigging, and
while flying, drink regularly but don't drink water just for the sake of
drinking water. This routine worked wonderfully. (Thank you 1X and 190!)

What surprised me about that whole water consumption episode was that it was
the second time I went through it. The first was a year or two prior when I
complained to a fitness instructor about headaches and dizziness when
working out. She asked me in detail about my diet and water drinking habits.
Her diagnosis was surprising: I was overhydrated! Her unconventional but
completely logical advice was to treat water like food. That is, listen to
the body: eat in moderation when hungry (but don't wait until you're too
hungry), drink in moderation when thirsty (but don't wait until too
thirsty). Be reasonable with both. As it is possible to eat too much food,
it is possible to drink too much water. When I followed her advice the
problems quickly went away.

So, if you're a new pilot bent on not being one of those who get hurt after
getting dehydrated, keep in mind that overhydration can be just as
dangerous. Use common sense. Sip Gatorade while rigging. Don't wait until
your thirsty to drink, but don't drink just for the sake of drinking. There
is a happy medium.

Ted in Chandler
Hph 304CZ "2NO"

Old March 29th 05, 12:00 PM
Mal.com

your urine colour is the best and simple indicator of your hydration level
clear good yellow ok dark dehydrated.

news:1112076245.44e43d9ddc500211f5708085c473e848@t eranews...

Old March 29th 05, 01:00 PM
J.A.M.

So you just unstrap, open your zipper, lean over the window, take a leak,
and watch the colour as it zips past the cockpit...
Yeah sure it's a perfect indicator but something difficult to appreciate in
flight.
I drink while rigging, then in flight I take two liters of Acuarius (kind of
gatorade) and whenever I feel thirsty I drink a little. Don't wait until I'm
dry mouthed, but don't drink if I don't feel like it. Usually I take a swig
everytime I reach the top of a thermal and start a transition. A good place,
high, level, alone... doesn't distract me too much. Normally I land and
there's still some liquid in the bottles.

The season is comming!!!
Jose M. Alvarez.

Old March 29th 05, 05:39 PM
Robin Birch

For what its worth, I don't especially top up before flying but just
gently take small sips as I fly. I only take water, no other additions.
The main reason for this is a tale from one of my friends that if you
put sugary additions to your water the body strips the sugar out and
then fires the water straight out of the body.

Regards

Robin

In message , J.A.M.
writes

--
Robin Birch
Old March 29th 05, 08:12 PM
For Example John Smith

The problem with this method is that it's a lagging indicator.
Ted's approach is a preventive approach.

Old March 29th 05, 08:40 PM
Mal.com

Your body should be hydrated properly 2 days before flight stay ahead is the
rule.

I use paraplegic supplies when I fly with tube and bag so I can always see
the colour.

Fruit like water melon for breakfast also hydrates.

Stay off beer tea coffee and booze.

HTH

Old March 30th 05, 05:50 AM

On hydration, see, for example,

http://amygdala.danlj.org/~danlj/Soa...oaringMag.html

Old April 3rd 05, 09:41 PM
Jeremy Zawodny

Ted Wagner wrote:
This observation motivated by the recent discussion on hydration.

Just under a year ago I started my x/c career in Arizona, flying at
Estrella and Turf. Needless to say these are not cool places in the
summer. When the weather turned hot (which was in mid-April last
year) I followed the conventional wisdom of "you can't drink too much
water". In June and July I was drinking a gallon of water while
rigging and another quart during lunch. While flying I would knock
off a 100-ounce Camelbak and most of a second one.

But I experienced a consistent problem: in the latter part of my
flights, I would get dizzy, disoriented, and nauseous. At least one
flight was aborted prematurely because I just didn't feel fit to walk
or talk, much less fly.

I've found the same thing to be true for my flying in Nevada last
summer. Too much water was too much of a good thing.

Hopefully it's not just a problem with 304 owners. :-)

Jeremy
Old April 4th 05, 01:18 AM
Doug Snyder

Great Article !

The author mentions other articles. Do you have links for those
articles?

Doug