Headset to mp3 Adapter

Old June 5th 06, 06:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Headset to mp3 Adapter

I bought one of those "Y" adapters so I could play my iPod thru my
stereo headset. Your headset plug goes in 1 end, and then it branches
off to a standard headset plug for the intercom and a "mini" plug for
the iPod. The problem is that the plane's radio volume drops to barely
audible, even with the volume turned all the way up. The mp3 player
volume has a nice low to loud range so I can adjust it. But I can
barely pick up ATC calls even with the radio volume turned to max. I
had to disconnect it.

Any explanations and work-arounds? I tossed the bag and receipt so I
can't return it.

Thanks!

--Jeff

Old June 5th 06, 07:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A work-around: I bought one of those external battery-powered intercoms
some time ago, for using in 4-seat rentals with 2-place intercoms.

It has a line-in and line-out jack.

Now I plug it in to the back seat headset jacks (and can plug a headset
(or 4, for a total of 7), and record audio though the line-out jack,
with NO performance degradation of the rest of the system.

It's expensive, but I already spent the money, and it works.

Old June 5th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

What an idea! Fortunately, I had a Flightcom external intercom
gathering dust in my closet for years. Unfortunately, I finally sold
it over eBay about 4 months ago.

It figures!

--Jeff

Thanks.