Repost:Fleet Air Arm photo for Bert-Jan

Old August 15th 07, 11:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bert-Jan[_5_]

Default Repost:Fleet Air Arm photo for Bert-Jan

"Pjmac35" wrote in
:

"Bert-Jan" wrote in message
"Hub Plott III" wrote in
news:46c19379$0 :

Bert-Jan:
It is not a colored B&W Photo but original WWII Color.My notes
(finally found them)state it was an FAA repair depot in the UK.
Hub

begin 666 1174595730.jpg

Attachment decoded: 1174595730.jpg
`
end

Thanks very much for the repost,

Looking very closely I still think it is a coloured B/W or at least
it's been "helped".
Nevertheless, it's very nicely done and I still think it is VERRRRY
interesting and I'll very gladly add it to my collection of
"harvested- from-the-net-and-groups" pics.

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan

But if someone was "colouring" a B/W original why would they show the
grey on the Seafire and that on the Corsair as so different, or at
least differently weathered? And the gas-detection patch faithfully
rendered in its sort of zinc chromate colour, and the red primer on
the repairs to the starboard wing? Too clever by half, I think!

To me, it certainly has an authentic, genuine look to it, but then
maybe I'm just guillable!

Regards

Pat Macguire

I dont know why, but when you can think of it, the "painter" can also.
I just said it "LOOKS" coloured to me. I could be wrong.

What I think: for instance.

The orange cones in the top right ALL have the same hue of orange.

The ladders on the right are also all the same colour.

The yellow spinner in the background seems too yellow to me. All yellow
spinners are the same yellow.

The skin tone of the guy IN the first plane on the right is very visible
and is the same as the guys in front of the picture, while the guy in front
of said plane is NOT skin tone.

All overalls are the same colour blue.

There is a very unreallistically distinctive boundary between the skin tone
and the blue overalls.

The tarmac and painted "white" lines and colours of the spit seem to be
original black/white. As do the rows of trees in the background.

The green of the vegitation in the front of the picture is the same as
everywhere except in the hills where it is very grey.

The patch of green on the right is just too neatly green.

There is a very distinctive/weird grey/green separation in the trees in the
background.

All in all the colours just seem to be a bit "forced" to me.

But I could be wrong and this does not take away the fact that this is a
very interesting picture.

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan
Old August 16th 07, 02:31 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Ken Murphy

On 15 Aug 2007 22:45:47 GMT, "Bert-Jan" wrote:

I dont know why, but when you can think of it, the "painter" can also.
I just said it "LOOKS" coloured to me. I could be wrong.

What I think: for instance.

(snip)

Bert-Jan - If this is a manually coloured photo, please find the
"colourer", and he can come and do the painting and weathering on my
model railroad. The colours on the wooden hangars are superb,
weathering on wing roots and roundels very impressive.
Colours might be a bit over-exposed, perhaps from the scanning
process?

Ken

Old August 16th 07, 02:45 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Pjmac35

"Ken Murphy" wrote in message
On 15 Aug 2007 22:45:47 GMT, "Bert-Jan" wrote:

I dont know why, but when you can think of it, the "painter" can also.
I just said it "LOOKS" coloured to me. I could be wrong.

What I think: for instance.

(snip)

Bert-Jan - If this is a manually coloured photo, please find the
"colourer", and he can come and do the painting and weathering on my
model railroad. The colours on the wooden hangars are superb,
weathering on wing roots and roundels very impressive.
Colours might be a bit over-exposed, perhaps from the scanning
process?

Ken

News==----
Newsgroups
----= East and West-Coast Server Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =

And don't forget to take into account that if it WAS a colour original, it
would be subject to the vagaries of early emulsions and/or slide film
coatings. Plus ,as pointed out, there's the scanning process and the
variation in people's monitors....?

Regards

Pat Macguire

Old August 16th 07, 03:16 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lynn in StLou[_2_]

Ken Murphy wrote:
On 15 Aug 2007 22:45:47 GMT, "Bert-Jan" wrote:

I dont know why, but when you can think of it, the "painter" can also.
I just said it "LOOKS" coloured to me. I could be wrong.

What I think: for instance.

(snip)

Bert-Jan - If this is a manually coloured photo, please find the
"colourer", and he can come and do the painting and weathering on my
model railroad. The colours on the wooden hangars are superb,
weathering on wing roots and roundels very impressive.
Colours might be a bit over-exposed, perhaps from the scanning
process?

Ken

I think most of it can be explained by processing
in Photoshop or similar. Using some of the
sharpening tools can produce the some of the
effects. Some manipulation of the color curves
could produce others.

--
Lynn in StLou
REMOVETHIS anti-spam measure to reply
Old August 16th 07, 10:41 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bert-Jan[_5_]

Default Repost:Fleet Air Arm photo for Bert-Jan - 1 attachment

Lynn in StLou wrote in
et:

Usenet News==---- http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service
in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups ----= East and West-Coast Server
Farms - Total Privacy via Encryption =----

I think most of it can be explained by processing
in Photoshop or similar. Using some of the
sharpening tools can produce the some of the
effects. Some manipulation of the color curves
could produce others.

OK, look at the attached picture.
I've taken all the colour out and now it is a very nice WWII era B/W
picture.

Look at the camouflage scheme of the Corsair. (I could not find ANY
reference to that kind of scheme, by the way)
On the port wing the dark patches are made green, on the starbord wing the
dark patches are left grey.
If this is true then our painter mixed up the colours.

Can anyone provide me with a colour profile of this scheme?.

The propellor tip of the spit has been painted yellow, but the prop tip of
the Corsair, which has the same hue in the B/W picture, has not been
painted yellow, but now I start nit picking.

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1174595730 BW.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	16361
Old August 17th 07, 01:30 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Jim[_8_]

"Bert-Jan" wrote in message
Lynn in StLou wrote in
et:

Ken Murphy wrote:
[...]

There was a time when portrait photos of families, etc. would be taken in
black and white because that's all there was, then an 'artist' would color
the photo based on what he saw of and around the subject . . . perhaps . . .
that's what occurred here rather than photoshop???

Old August 17th 07, 03:54 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bert-Jan[_5_]

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan

There was a time when portrait photos of families, etc. would be taken
in black and white because that's all there was, then an 'artist'
would color the photo based on what he saw of and around the subject .
. . perhaps . . . that's what occurred here rather than photoshop???

Yeah, I know.
I don't know what happened to this pic.
To be very honest, maybe nothing happened to this picture. It is just that
I (ME) do have a feel that it has something done to it.
But then again I could be wrong.

--
Cheers,

Bert-Jan

Bert ~ ! Michael Baldwin, Bruce Products 0 November 12th 06 05:21 AM
Bert Sisler& Cygnet dan Home Built 1 January 19th 04 08:04 AM
Fleet Air Arm Tonka Dude Military Aviation 0 November 22nd 03 09:28 PM