Only 6 seasons left until the Ice Age...

Old February 8th 06, 03:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Only 6 seasons left until the Ice Age...

so hurry up and make those thermal flight records! 8^)

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?St...7-041447-2345r

Old February 8th 06, 04:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

New math: 2035 - 2006 = 6!

Global warming, global cooling, global chernobal, I'm going flying.

~ted/2NO

Old February 8th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Kemp wrote:
so hurry up and make those thermal flight records! 8^)

http://upi.com/NewsTrack/view.php?St...7-041447-2345r

Yeah, but think of the wave flights!

Shawn
Old February 8th 06, 05:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

wrote:
New math: 2035 - 2006 = 6!

I think he meant 60 more seasons. Cooling should occur in the 2060+
timeframe.

-Tom

Old February 8th 06, 09:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

According to the article the cooling STARTS in 6 to 7 years, with the
COLDEST period around 2035. So I picked six years as my headline
number. Geez, we all need to get out flying some more. Besides,
what's a few years on the climate scale.........

Old February 9th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Shawn wrote:
5Z wrote:
wrote:

New math: 2035 - 2006 = 6!

I think he meant 60 more seasons. Cooling should occur in the 2060+
timeframe.

Not necessarily. One of the more doom and gloom climate change
scenarios has fresh water from greenhouse warming induced melting of
part of the Greenland icecap, shutting down the Deep Atlantic Conveyor.
This circulation pattern is the source of energy driving much of the
world's ocean circulation including the Gulf Stream. Water in the North
Atlantic tends to be cold and salty (dense), sinks to the ocean bottom
near Iceland (IIRC) and flows south driving deep ocean currents. Some
of this water eventually rises near the equator picking up heat and
returning north on the surface. Melt water from the Greenland
fresh-water ice is of much lower density and could hypothetically
override the denser Gulf Stream water. This *could* mess up the cycle.
Heat flow to high latitudes decreases, making those areas colder, while
lower latitudes become warmer since the heat isn't carried away. Good or
bad, if or when, can't be called by any respectable climatologist at
this time. Makes for bad Hollywood though. :-)
http://calspace.ucsd.edu/virtualmuse...ge1/10_5.shtml
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0319262/photogallery

Shawn

A recent measurement reported the eastern branch of the Gulf Stream was
already 30% of the way to being shut down.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. |
Old February 9th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Martin Gregorie wrote:
Shawn wrote:
5Z wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Yes, some research do show that.
Other researchers have not come to that conclusion and I have also
heard that the flow of the Gulf stream between Iceland and Scotland is
on the increase.