Master contactor question

Old October 28th 09, 08:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Master contactor question

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 15:30:30 -0500, rich
wrote:

My homebuilt's master contactor is going bad. Sometimes when I turn it
on it doesn't make connection. It's got 1700 hours on it, so I'd just
as soon replace it. But the way the builder wired it, he's has
positive power from the battery going through the master switch to the
small terminal on the contactor. (cole-Hersey type) But the master
contactors, such as Spruce sells, are set up to actuate with ground
power going to the small terminal. They also have plastic around their
mounting feet so their case doesn't make ground. A starter contactor
would work perfectly with the way the plane is wired. I just wonder,
are starter contactors made to withstand continous use, like a master
contactor does? And how can one tell the difference in the two, they
look identical? And if not, can the master/continuous duty type be
made to work with postitive power to the small terminal?

Check the coil resistance. Constant duty contactors are higher
resistance, so they draw less wower and heat up less than starter
solenoids.

Old October 28th 09, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 28, 2:30 pm, rich wrote:
[...]

The builder wired that contactor to make it safe. If you have
it set up so that battery power feeds though the cabin to the master
switch, you have a fire point since there will be no fuse in that line
from the battery. A fuse can fail with age and let you down. Cessna
uses the hot-terminal idea, and grounds the contactor's other terminal
through the master so that there's at least some resistance in the
line, limiting the current.

A master contactor is a continuous-duty solenoid. A starter
contactor is an intermittent-duty solenoid, and usually has its coil
wired internally to ground so that it wouldn't work as a hot-terminal
master anyway.

Dan
Old October 28th 09, 10:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:13:56 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

On Oct 28, 2:30 pm, rich wrote:
[...]

Gotta be careful of the "usually"
The definitive test is coil resistance. Most starter solenoids are
around less than16 ohms. There are quire a few insulated base 4
terminal "starter" solenoids. Echlin/Napa ST41, ST56, ST67, ST71,
ST73, ST75, ST77, ST83, ST94, ST96, for starters. Mostly used in Mopar
and AMC applications.

The St56 is 3 terminal unit designed for "ground enable" apps

Most constant duty solenoids run 16-30 ohms - and there are a fair
number of THEM with gounded bases.(st35, ST87, ST97

The 4 terminal constant duty units a ST36, ST80, ST85,

The large ST35 and ST36 are the only continuous duty units rated at
14-16 ohms. All the smaller ones are 16-25 ohms.

The ST80 and ST85 are the common ones - the 85 differeing from the 80
only in having copper contacts (much to be preferred)
Old October 29th 09, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

rich wrote:
[...]

A thought. Your master switch has hot on one side, and a lead to the
master contactor on the other.
If you replaced the existing contactor with a Spruce type contactor,
you would pull off the hot lead to the switch, and ground it.

Doesn't sound too hard, unless you have other wires tagging on with the
hot lead to the master switch.

Brian W.
Old October 29th 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

wrote:
On Oct 28, 2:30 pm, rich wrote:
[...]

I think your explanation mixes the "hot terminal" idea a bit,
to mean ground-active. Some people may think a "hot" terminal is there
to activate the contactor when "hot"...

Brian W

Old October 29th 09, 12:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Oct 28, 7:13 pm, rich wrote:
The brand new one I got from Spruce, sold as a master
contactor is right around 15. I wish these thing would measure more
one way or the other to make it more obvious what they are.

At 15 ohms and 14 volts, it will draw close to an amp. That's 13 or
14 watts, and I'd expect it to get hot.

Dan
Old October 29th 09, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
rich[_2_]

wrote:

On Oct 28, 2:30 pm, rich wrote:
[...]

That's exactly what I need, a constant duty soleniod with a grounded
base. St35/ST87/ST97.. I'll try Napa tomorrow. You say the ST35 is
large, as in physically large? if so, I'll try the other ones. ST87
etc.. I've got 3 contactors, and I checked the coil resistance in all
of them, and the darn things are all right around 15ohms. Not enough
either way to make a definitive classification. Bob Nuckols book says
15 or below are intermittent duty, and the higher resistance ones are
continuous duty. The brand new one I got from Spruce, sold as a master
contactor is right around 15. I wish these thing would measure more
one way or the other to make it more obvious what they are.
Rich

The 4 terminal constant duty units a ST36, ST80, ST85,

The large ST35 and ST36 are the only continuous duty units rated at
14-16 ohms. All the smaller ones are 16-25 ohms.

The ST80 and ST85 are the common ones - the 85 differeing from the 80
only in having copper contacts (much to be preferred)

Master cylinders [email protected] Home Built 25 July 29th 08 02:08 AM
Battery Contactor Diode? Skrud Home Built 25 September 11th 06 06:17 PM
PA28-180 Power Contactor Relay source? Mike Noel Owning 5 August 10th 05 04:40 AM
Master Switch Lakeview Bill Piloting 23 July 20th 05 01:46 AM
RC Plane Master Steve Simulators 0 December 20th 03 02:40 PM