Flying and capturing video

Old August 12th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
drclive

Default Flying and capturing video

Hi All,

I'm looking recommendation for a video camera that would stand a VFR in
Piper 28 Cherokee 140 or a katana DV20. I tried already with a JVC with
Hard
Drive (Model Everio G Series). It didn't work so well, it seems that
the
vibration was too much for the hard drive, so it gives recording errors
all
the time. Regarding mounting the camera, I don't have any problems, the
RAM
Mount works perfectly for both my camera and my GPS.

Looking forward to read your comments
Clive Rudd

Old August 13th 06, 12:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Answered in re.student. How to multipost rather than post
multiple times. Enter the groups, separated by commas and
pick a single group for all the answers to go to.

Compact Flash media, solid state.

ups.com...

Old August 13th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I looked and found this one...
Runner-Up: Panasonic SDR-S100
In terms of performance, the diminutive SDR-S100 from
Panasonic is an outstanding camcorder, with a sharp, bright
picture, flash media or otherwise. The SDR-S100 records to
SD cards, the most ubiquitous and inexpensive media
available, and is even shipped with a 2GB card. The video is
beautiful and doesn't appear to suffer from the MPEG-2
compression as much as that from other flash media cams.
Panasonic chalks this up to a new and improved compression
engine with variable bit rates and a wider-range motion
search engine.

The non-expandable battery and lack of audio input indicate
that both of these camcorders need some serious redesign.
But they sure are fun.

at
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/content...elect-2005.htm

"Jim Macklin" wrote
in message newsQtDg.2186$SZ3.970@dukeread04...
| Answered in re.student. How to multipost rather than post
| multiple times. Enter the groups, separated by commas and
| pick a single group for all the answers to go to.
|
| Compact Flash media, solid state.

ups.com...

Old August 13th 06, 01:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Duniho

"drclive" wrote in message
ups.com...
I'm looking recommendation for a video camera that would stand a VFR in
a Piper 28 Cherokee 140 or a katana DV20.

I think pretty much any camera that doesn't use rotating media (hard drive
or optical DVD recording). That leaves tape or flash RAM.

That said, I'm a bit surprised you had trouble with a hard drive based
camera. Maybe there's something about the orientation of the camera (and
thus the drive) that makes it excessively sensitive to vibration, but I
wouldn't expect normal vibration to cause problems.

I'm curious, have you tried using the camera hand-held, rather than mounted
to the yoke? Maybe being securely fixed to the airframe pushes the hard
drive over the edge.

As far as your specific question goes, I've used tape-based cameras (MiniDV)
in airplanes without any problem whatsoever. A flash RAM storage camera
would be equally reliable, but keep in mind that you sacrifice quality
and/or storage capacity to go that route.

If you want to get really fancy, you could consider using external storage.
For example, a digital camera plugged into a dedicated video storage disk
(that is not securely mounted to the airframe, and so is isolated from
vibration somewhat) or into a laptop (recording directly to the hard drive
of the laptop). Depending on your budget and your specific needs, this
might be an appropriate solution. I think for most people, just getting a
regular tape-based video camera is the right way to go though.

Pete

Old August 13th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"JM" == Jim Macklin writes:

JM lack of audio input indicate

That's a serious defiency in trying to video record in an airplane.
Old August 13th 06, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

I never mention audio and did not look for any details other
than the use of flash memory. BTW, a problem that can
happen with video recording is radio transmissions within
the airplane can scramble the recording. I had such a
problem when flying formation flights, with a professional
cameraman recording another airplane in-flight. His
professional camera was not RFI shielded, most home cameras
would also not be RFI shielded.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old August 13th 06, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

JM lack of audio input indicate

That's a serious defiency in trying to video record in an airplane.

If you have a cell phone compatible jack in your headset or an audio out
on your intercom, run a patch cord to the audio in on the camcorder.