Move FSX airport that's in wrong location

Old July 3rd 09, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray[_6_]

Default Move FSX airport that's in wrong location

My favorite gliderport to fly from in real life (79N, Ridge Soaring in
Unionville, Pennsylvania, USA)
is incorrectly located in FSX.
The gliderport is placed about 300 yds too far NW. This puts the whole thing
on the
wrong side of the adjacent highway, and projects the airport part way into
some nearby small
hills. As a result, FSX incorrectly shows substantial cliffs at the NW
airport boundary.
It's starting to bug me. Is this something that's easily fixed (at least, in
my copy of FSX)?

Old July 3rd 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

On Jul 2, 10:04 pm, "Ray" wrote:
My favorite gliderport to fly from in real life (79N, Ridge Soaring in
Unionville, Pennsylvania, USA)
is incorrectly located in FSX.
The gliderport is placed about 300 yds too far NW. This puts the whole thing
on the
wrong side of the adjacent highway, and projects the airport part way into
some nearby small
hills. As a result, FSX incorrectly shows substantial cliffs at the NW
airport boundary.
It's starting to bug me. Is this something that's easily fixed (at least, in
my copy of FSX)?

If you are only flying gliders, have you tried Condor? It's easier to
make your own scenery and the physics, towing, and weather (thermals)
are better, not to mention the frame rates... and of course it's
geared towards multiplayer racing which is fun. I used to fly in FSX
but got frustrated with it's slowness and unrealistic weather
patterns. Sure does look nice though, and good practice for
instrument flying, etc. I may install it again and give it another
chance.
Old July 3rd 09, 07:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GM

On Jul 2, 11:07*pm, vic20owner wrote:
On Jul 2, 10:04 pm, "Ray" wrote:

[...]

I think the same bug exists in the db of my Garmin Pilot III. The
reference point is on the other side of PA Rt.220.
Uli Neumann
Libelle 'GM'
Old July 3rd 09, 08:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
smithcorp

On Jul 3, 10:04*am, "Ray" wrote:
My favorite gliderport to fly from in real life (79N, Ridge Soaring in
Unionville, Pennsylvania, USA)
is incorrectly located in FSX.
The gliderport is placed about 300 yds too far NW. This puts the whole thing
on the
wrong side of the adjacent highway, and projects the airport part way into
some nearby small
hills. As a result, FSX incorrectly shows substantial cliffs at the NW
airport boundary.
It's starting to bug me. Is this something that's easily fixed (at least, in
my copy of FSX)?

Hi Ray - two good places to ask that question would be he
http://www.virtualsoaring.org/

and he http://carrier.csi.cam.ac.uk/forster...fsx/index.html

Forster Lewis is active both places and is a bit of an FSX soaring
guru (being involved in development of a new glider by Aerosoft,
though it seems to have fallen off the radar a bit with flight model
issues I understand). I don't doubt he could help you get it right.

regards

smithcorp
Old July 6th 09, 03:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
vic20owner

Wow, out of curiosity I just re-installed all 15 GB of FSX and after
setting the realism to the max, getting 50FPS+, I was sorely
disappointed with the physics. I completed an entire tow without ever
touching the ailerons, and despite trying to stall the glider I could
not do it. I could keep the nose above the horizon with full elevator
and the speed never dropped below 40knts, the plane never stalled, I
just flew happily along with full elevator.

I am presently freeing up that 15GB and continuing to fly in condor.
Condor is far better, slips show the airspeed going crazy, airspeed
sounds are correct, stalls happen, and VNE actually has an effect,
there is a GPS, and thermals and ridge lift actually work. In fact
the scenery is also better too.

Maybe I'll use it some day for instrument and airport communications
practice when I learn to fly a cesna, but for flying gliders it's
pretty much useless. If you are using FSX, I definitely recommend
trying Condor. Going back to FSX after flying in Condor the the past
year (sadly) was an eye opener!

Oops there we go, uninstall complete, 17GB now freed.

-tom

Let's move on Viperdoc[_5_] Piloting 148 August 21st 08 06:48 PM
Move Over Moller Larry Dighera Piloting 16 March 9th 05 01:39 PM
FS2004/FS9, Set location to non-airport? Squirrel Instrument Flight Rules 8 September 24th 04 12:43 AM
Oops... Airliner lands at the wrong airport... Richard Kaplan Piloting 68 June 29th 04 04:30 AM
NWA plane lands at wrong airport Andrew Military Aviation 11 June 22nd 04 10:03 PM