IFR Groundcourse: Which books

Old June 18th 04, 06:42 AM
TJ Girl

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message . ..

7) Rod Machado's Instrument Survival (first edition; there is now a new
one) I felt was very weak. But then I am in the 1% of pilots
(apparently) who find his humor very tiresome. His Private book was
good enough that I endured the cuteness and all the exclamation points,
but the instrument book was not. IMHO, anyway.

I'm with you on that. I can't stand Machado's books. I tried to read
his private book when I was studying that, and felt like he was trying
to talk to an elementary school kid. I glanced through his other ones
and saw enough that turned me off enough that I didn't attempt to read
any more of them.
I was pleasantly surprised when I've watched his videos, though. I
thoroughly enjoyed his humor in those. They are not study material,
though, just aviation humor videos.

As for my study material preference, I really like Kershner's books
for an overall understanding.
A good question bank with answers is good for preparing for the
written, and ASA's Oral Exam Guides are great for the checkride oral.
Old June 18th 04, 08:32 AM
Thomas Borchert

Hallo Thomas,

I would recommend a CD-ROM software training course, if that fits your
learning style. The one from Jeppesen is very good, IMHO, providing you
with explanations and a real "course", not the questions only.

With regard to books, in addition to what's been said, I'd recommend

- Bob Gardner's Complete Pilot
- Rod Machado's Instrument Flying book, if you can stand the humor
- Peter Dogan's course book. He is the founder of P.I.C.'s ten-day IR
courses. An excellent basic book

These books are more geared towards IR training in general, not so much
getting through the written.

Oh, re the King videos: They are really hard to stand for people that
don't like the King-type personality. One minute makes me scream and
want to destroy things. But that's just me...

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 18th 04, 05:00 PM
Cecil Chapman

Oh, re the King videos: They are really hard to stand for people that
don't like the King-type personality. One minute makes me scream and
want to destroy things. But that's just me...

Let's all keep a watch on Thomas GRIN ;0)

=-----
Good Flights!

Cecil
PP-ASEL
Student-IASEL

Check out my personal flying adventures from my first flight to the
checkride AND the continuing adventures beyond!
Complete with pictures and text at: www.bayareapilot.com

- Antoine de Saint-Exupery -

"We who fly, do so for the love of flying. We are alive in the air with
this miracle that lies in our hands and beneath our feet"
- Cecil Day Lewis -

Old June 19th 04, 01:30 AM
Geo. Anderson

I would recommend a CD-ROM software training course, if that fits your
learning style. The one from Jeppesen is very good,

Yes, I agree. Forgot to mention that in my post above but Jepp's fast
paced little lectures followed by questions are a nice diversion from
slogging though test questions fed to you by a computer and sitting
staring at a book. The Sporty's DvD course is good for the same reason
but it really takes a long time to go through it all.

The nice thing about all the CDROM and DvD courses, Jeppesen, Sporty's,
and King are that you can buy them on eBay, use them for as long as you
want and then resell them for about what you paid. I think I actually
made money reselling my Jepp and Sporty's discs when I was done with them.

Geo. Anderson
Old June 19th 04, 09:59 PM
twomorrow

I would also recommend "Instrument Flying Made Easy" available through
http://www.genehudson.com/ghft/.

Possiblely the best practical reference for procedures for basic attitude
instrument flight.

Luke.

Old June 20th 04, 03:56 PM
Mark

"Geo. Anderson" wrote in message ...
The nice thing about all the CDROM and DvD courses, Jeppesen, Sporty's,
and King are that you can buy them on eBay, use them for as long as you
want and then resell them for about what you paid. I think I actually
made money reselling my Jepp and Sporty's discs when I was done with them.

yeah.. thats what I did.. a $300 king course for $60 I'll throw it
back up on ebay when I'm done
Old June 25th 04, 02:34 AM
Cecil Chapman

little 'nuances' in the chart zymology

Hmmm.... I never knew that I could write in foreign languages g,,, perhaps
I meant chart symbology

=-----

Starter books? Brad Mallard Home Built 5 November 2nd 04 11:11 PM
Rare aviation books and Cd Roms FS Nenad Miklusev Home Built 0 March 2nd 04 09:25 AM
Best Homebuilders Books? [email protected] Home Built 5 January 21st 04 01:06 AM
Worthy EAA Construction Books Brock Home Built 5 September 16th 03 07:48 PM
selling pilot books on eBay GwenO MS Instrument Flight Rules 0 July 17th 03 01:51 AM