CNX-80 "discontinuity"

Old September 16th 04, 02:01 AM
Roy Smith

Default CNX-80 "discontinuity"

When you put a flight plan into the CNX-80, you end up with a
"discontinuity" before the last fix. My habit is to delete the
discontinuity as soon as I finish entering the route. Another
instructor in my club teaches that you should NOT delete the
discontinuity.

I can't see any strong arguments one way or the other. Leaving it in
doesn't seem to hurt anything (except that you get a warning when you
finally arrive at your destination). Taking it out doesn't seem to hurt
anything either.

Can anybody think of any real reason to either insist that it be deleted
or insist that it NOT be deleted?
Old September 16th 04, 03:41 AM
John R. Copeland

"Roy Smith" wrote in message =
When you put a flight plan into the CNX-80, you end up with a=20
"discontinuity" before the last fix. My habit is to delete the=20
discontinuity as soon as I finish entering the route. Another=20
instructor in my club teaches that you should NOT delete the=20
discontinuity.
=20
I can't see any strong arguments one way or the other. Leaving it in=20
doesn't seem to hurt anything (except that you get a warning when you=20
finally arrive at your destination). Taking it out doesn't seem to =

hurt=20
anything either.
=20
Can anybody think of any real reason to either insist that it be =

deleted=20
or insist that it NOT be deleted?

I always delete the discontinuity so as to have a complete flight plan.
Otherwise, the CNX 80 enters Suspend Mode at the discontinuity.
To me, that's a strong argument for removing the discontinuity.
I'd be interested in hearing the other guy's reasons for retaining it.

Of course, the discontinuity will disappear automatically
if an approach is selected at the destination,
but I don't see that as a reason to leave the discontinuity in place.
In case of a visual approach, I normally want navigation to the airport.
---JRC---

Old September 16th 04, 04:01 PM
Steven DalPra

Stop thinking of the CNX 80 as a moving map GPS but as an FMS. Then keep
the discontinuity in until you have received the ATIS update as to active
approaches and runways. This makes selecting an approach easier as you use
the existing FPL and do not have to extensively modify the current one.
Last month a pilot at my airport replaced a new CNX 80 with a GNS 430. His
needs were to fly "direct" and not use airways in his flight planning. He
was comfortable with a more popular and "intuitive" unit. He was unhappy
that the compromise involved giving up GPSS roll steering with his
autopilot.

Old September 16th 04, 04:09 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
"Steven DalPra" wrote:

Stop thinking of the CNX 80 as a moving map GPS but as an FMS. Then keep
the discontinuity in until you have received the ATIS update as to active
approaches and runways. This makes selecting an approach easier as you use
the existing FPL and do not have to extensively modify the current one.

Why is it easier to enter an approach if you leave the discontinuity in?
In either case, you need to hit PROC (possibly having to hit FN first,
if the PROC softkey is not showing), select the approach, select the IAF
(or Vectors), hit EXEC, and then hit ENTER to confirm over-writing the
active flight plan. I hope I got all that right :-)

How does this process change if you leave the discontinuity in or take
it out?
Old September 16th 04, 05:48 PM
Maik

Steven DalPra wrote:

Last month a pilot at my airport replaced a new CNX 80 with a GNS 430. His
needs were to fly "direct" and not use airways in his flight planning. He
was comfortable with a more popular and "intuitive" unit. He was unhappy
that the compromise involved giving up GPSS roll steering with his
autopilot.

The CNX80 has GPSS roll steering included?

Maik
Old September 16th 04, 08:39 PM
Steven DalPra

It has the ability to accept roll steering from a capable autopilot. Talk
to your avionics tech for details. Also, their is an add-on for analog
autopilots to allow them to accept from some older units.

Old September 16th 04, 09:16 PM
Maik

Hmm... until now the only autopilot with GPSS I found are from S-TEC.
Also the extra GPSS box from S-TEC is only for S-TEC autopilots... at
least it is only aloud with S-TEC :-)

Do you have a link, name or partnumber so I could search for and read a
bit more...?

And normally the GPS is controlling the GPSS and not the vice versa.
Are you sure?

Maik

Old September 16th 04, 10:08 PM
Peter Clark

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004 22:16:56 +0200, Maik wrote:

Hmm... until now the only autopilot with GPSS I found are from S-TEC.
Also the extra GPSS box from S-TEC is only for S-TEC autopilots... at
least it is only aloud with S-TEC :-)

The newer Bendix KLN94 (the ones with the part number ending in -0102)
have GPSS out to the KAP140 autopilot.

Do you have a link, name or partnumber so I could search for and read a
bit more...?

And normally the GPS is controlling the GPSS and not the vice versa.
Are you sure?

At least on the King ones that's the way I understand it to work -
GPSS sends out roll commands which the autopilot acts on.

Old September 17th 04, 02:30 AM
john smith

What is GPSS?

Old September 17th 04, 07:28 AM
Maik

Take a look at the publications from S-Tec

http://www.s-tec.com/prodbrochures.html

maik

john smith wrote:
What is GPSS?