MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 4th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

Default MS Flight Sim As a Training Tool

Okay, I know this one has been beaten up before -- but my eyes are now
wide open to the possibilities a sim can provide. Here are a few data
points for discussion:

1. IFR Flight
Today I visited a friend (and fellow pilot) who heard about our new
flight sim, and has set up MS Flight Sim 2004 (not the new version) to
serve as an advanced instrument flight trainer. He owns an Aerostar,
and has downloaded add-ons to the original program that precisely
recreate his panel equipment, as well as the flight model of the
Aerostar itself.

He has installed this on a very fast computer, with a very nice 22"
wide screen monitor. The results are quite amazing. I shot a full
approach into Cedar Rapids (CID) terminating in an ILS to Rwy 9 at
minimums. By the time I broke out, after flying the published
procedure, I was sweating! This thing was just plain as real as it
gets, and (in my rusty, haven't practiced instrument flight in a long
while) I was working my butt off.

He has it programmed to start with the aircraft out of trim, and with
variable crosswinds throughout the approach. It's diabolically
difficult, and authentic as hell. He says he uses it all the time to
maintain proficiency -- and I think it would be helpful for any pilot.

2. Formation Flying
He then showed me a scenario he has created with a second aircraft, the
task being to fly formation with it throughout the various phases of
flight. Again, the experience was as real as it could get, and quite
difficult. He has attended formation school, and says that this
program and scenario are dead on.

Inspired, I went back to the hotel, fired up our "Kiwi" (see it he
http://alexisparkinn.com/the_kiwi_is_born.htm ) and started downloading
various enhancements. First was an enhanced terrain mesh that brings
the detail down to 38 meters, nationwide. (This is double the detail
of the default program's terrain.) Then I added another program that
corrects and enhances bodies of water, roads, and lights, which are
often inadequately rendered in FS2004.

These two programs have allowed me to kick up the realism even higher,
to the point where I can quite literally taxi to my own hangar, or fly
through realistic mountain passes. Runway markings, wind socks,
rotating beacons, radar (if applicable) -- it's all there now, and with
a frame rate of over 55 frames per second (thanks to the new computer),
the flight model is absolutely seamless and realistic.

3. Emergency Procedures
I have downloaded the AOPA Cherokee Six sim model (which utilizes an
exact flight model replica of a Cherokee Six), and have been using it
(in lieu of a Pathfinder, which I haven't yet found on the net) to
practice emergency procedures.

Wow, what an amazing eye-opener THAT is. With full cockpit controls, a
photo-realistic panel (on a dedicated monitor), and butter-smooth
control response, it is possible to perfectly simulate engine-out
scenarios that you would NEVER be able to practice in your real
airplane.

Specifically, I've been practicing the dreaded "return to the airport
after engine failure" on takeoff, killing the engine completely at
various heights and in different wind conditions. The results are
truly stunning, and anyone who has flown this scenario will never, EVER
try to initiate the 180-degree-turn to land that has killed so many.
I'm here to tell you that it will result in a stall-spin scenario,
every time...

What's great is that you can actually turn the engine off -- something
you can never do in a real plane -- and it's astounding the difference
that makes. That idling engine is still making some power, and it's
enough to completely throw off your perception of flight.

Same goes with how far you THINK you can stretch your glide, with an
engine out. With the engine at flight idle, you can glide MUCH farther
than you can with the engine off -- and this is something that can only
be demonstrated in the sim.

4. Primary Flight Training
Here's where many pilots object, and I used to agree -- until we set up
the Kiwi. With the 104" projection of the world, a second monitor of
the panel, and authentic flight controls, I'm now prepared to say that
this thing is valuable for showing newbies what flying is all about.

I've been using our hotel's night manager (a fellow we've taken flying
a couple of times, but who has no flight training experience) as a
guinea pig, and he has really progressed nicely in just a few days of
practice. Not only is he now able to land the sim reliably, but he has
learned an awful lot about basic flight procedures and conditions
during various portions of flight -- without burning a gallon of avgas.

I think you could probably shave several hours off of your Private by
practicing in the Kiwi -- and it will be invaluable to me as an
instrument procedures trainer.

Besides just being a helluva lot of fun, of course!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA