Your very own suspected terrorist

Old January 25th 04, 03:47 AM
David Dyer-Bennet

"Jay Honeck" writes:

Seriously, instead of doing a big background check and looking up all your
papers, sounds like the agent did the smart thing -- he just asked you. He
was able to learn a lot more about you and the issues involved that way.
They would have noticed if you had tried to flee.

Right. Had he been a real terrorist, Michael would have evaporated into thin
air when the doofus FBI agent left his card on his door.

Criminy -- this "special agent" acted less covertly than I did when I was
looking for dead-beat dads in the inner city. I sure hope his actions
aren't representative of our national security efforts.

I think it's really *extremely* unlikely -- but they *could* have had
the place under surveillance, and been ready to grab him if he ran
when he got the card. I don't see how we could know they *didn't*.
RKBA: http://noguns-nomoney.com http://www.dd-b.net/carry/
Photos: dd-b.lighthunters.net Snapshots: www.dd-b.net/dd-b/SnapshotAlbum/
Old January 25th 04, 04:12 AM
C J Campbell

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message
| |
| | It should do wonders for the motel business, Jay.
| |
| | I mean, who'd want to see a rain forest in Louisiana or even worse
| | Guatamala? Too hot and sticky.
| |

| I live near Seattle. My house is within an hour's drive of one of the
most

| IIUC, the one in Washington state is the ONLY true rain forest in the
world
| (by some strict definition of "rain forest" as opposed to "jungle", which
is
| something else entirely.

There are temperate rain forests in Chile and Siberia.

Old January 25th 04, 08:30 AM
VideoGuy

"Wdtabor" wrote in message

I once accidentally put my mortgage payment in an IRS envelope and the

much
smaller check to the IRS in my mortgage company envelope. Both checks

cleared
even though clearly typed.

The bank sent me a past due notice for the difference, which I paid the

next
day. It took 8 months to get the excess back from the IRS.

Did I mention www.FairTax.org

LAST year's (2002) taxes were filed. Overpayment was refunded instead of
being credited to my 2003 estimated taxes. (NO, I didn't check the box
asking for a refund. The check was issued in error.) When the refund check
arrived, I called IRS asking what should be done. I was instructed to write
VOID on the check and return it with a letter asking the amount be credited
back to my estimated account as of the date on my return. Followed
directions exactly.

IIRC, this was sometime in late August or September 2003. Within a few
weeks of sending the check back, I received an acknowledgement from IRS
stating they had received the check, and an investigation would be initiated
to substantiate my claim. (What claim? I don't know) Anyway, 'round about
Christmas time, I received a second letter advising me that they were still
'investigating" and I should be advised that I can not yet consider this
money to be credited to my estimated account. So if I file my taxes, I'll
need to pay a big bill 'cause there's thousands of $$$ floating around in
limbo. Bet they'll also gig me penalties and interest for not making timely
estimated payments.

Oh, I see now. Gotta get more money into the government one way or the
other.

Gary (expecting the men w/ handcuffs any day now) Kasten

Old January 25th 04, 10:54 AM
Dylan Smith

In article DcDQb.144901$na.231057@attbi_s04, Jay Honeck wrote:
NOT. It took six MONTHS to get corrected... :-(

I was quite impressed with our government after inadvertently overpaying
my tax. They sent me a refund within a week, and I didn't even have to
ask.

On the other hand, there's only about 50K taxpayers here as opposed to
however many hundred million you have.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old January 25th 04, 03:14 PM
Paul Folbrecht

Yes, we should build one their too.

The ideal would be a rain forest in Arizona. Then we could go to see
it in the winter.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 25th 04, 03:14 PM
Paul Folbrecht

I meant "there too". Double drat!!

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 25th 04, 03:25 PM
Paul Folbrecht

Sounds like terrorist-talk to me.

;-)

Yeah, and he was having my apartment watched. And my truck was being
tailed when he called me that morning. Sure. You keep telling
yourself that.

As for me, I call bull****.

Michael

Old January 25th 04, 06:41 PM
Wdtabor

writes:

The bank sent me a past due notice for the difference, which I paid the

next
day. It took 8 months to get the excess back from the IRS.

Well, Don, I can top that. As some of you know, as an employer, I must pay
employee withholding (Medicare/Medicaid and Federal) tax, known as "941
Tax."

Ever wonder why we have all this silliness of 940's & 941's & W2's and
Rainforests in Iowa? It really shouldn't be a surprise, any system of taxation
and spending based on a complex deception should be expected to have goofy
results and applications.

Anyone smart enough to fill out a flight plan has already figured out that
taxes on corporations are really taxes on the consumers of whatever that
corporation sells. But the same thing is really true of payroll taxes on
individuals as well.

See http://lpva.com/main/Archives/Editor...r/20040106.htm

But, this thread gives me the opportunity to invite you and our flying friends
to a rally we will be hosting here in Virginia for the FairTax (
www.fairtax.org ) on the morning of Saturday, May 1st, in hopes of changing
that.

No one would be in favor of the federal government building a rainforest in
Iowa unless they believed someone else was paying for it. But more than half
the voters in the country are under the illusion that anything that comes from
the government is "free" to them because they pay little, if any income tax.
The reality is that we all pay for these silly expenditures. On average, 22% of
the price of everything you buy, from bread to brain surgery, is really someone
else's Federal income and FICA taxes, concealed in the cost of those goods and
services. Depending on where you live, state and local taxation bring that
share of costs of goods and services to between 40% and 48%, all in an
invisible sales tax that hardly anyone is aware they are paying. The FairTax
would change all that, eliminating all payroll taxes, the IRS, the 16th
Amendment and replacing them with an honest, visible retail sales tax.

This would be cost and revenue neutral, as prices would fall and paychecks
(since no income or FICA taxes would be withheld) would rise just enough to
cover the sales tax. So, why do it? The answer is CLARITY. Everyone would know
what government really costs them. It would be printed on every invoice,
receipt and sales slip. For the first time in our lifetimes, everyone, rich and
poor alike, would know how the burden of taxation falls on all of us. Imagine
trying to sell the idea of an Iowa rainforest to a working mother when she
learns that SHE is paying for it(and has been paying for dumb stuff like that
all along), and not just some rich guy or evil corporation.

This measure could indeed change everything, but it faces an uphill battle. The
major politcal parties have no interest in it. The Democrat Party exists to
soak the rich. The Republican Party exists to protect the successful from the
Democrats. Both Democrats and Republicans are in no hurry to have the people
learn that all these years, they have really been soaking everybody, and their
battles have been nothing more than a farce, fought over an illusion. So, if
this is to happen, it will have to be demanded by the grass roots, and that
means those who lead in their community and in business. And, many of those
folks are right here.

So, I am inviting you to attend the May 1st rally here in Chesapeake, VA, which
will be the kickoff of the national campaign to move HR 25, the FairTax bill
forward in Congress. We will provide transportation from CPK and ORF to low
cost hotels near the Chesapeake Conference Center on the Friday before the
rally and back to the airports afterward. I hope many of you here will attend
and become part of this movement to fix what is wrong in this country.

If you are interested in participating, Email me at for more
information and updates as the event gets closer.

Don

--
Wm. Donald (Don) Tabor Jr., DDS
PP-ASEL
Old January 25th 04, 07:55 PM
EDR

In article N4gQb.132988$xy6.545923@attbi_s02, Jay Honeck
wrote:

WHY has Congress approved a rain forest for Iowa? It doesn't make any
sense...

$50 million would buy a lot of airline tickets to El Junque, Puerto
Rico, the only rain forest in the US Park Service.