Turbo question

Old June 8th 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Turbo question

The take off and low altitude fuel flow is fine. At altitude, the CHTs were
OK, but a little higher than normal. I have an intercooler so it keeps the
temps down a bit at the high altitudes. The EGT is what had me worried. It
was running close to peak with full rich, and only taking about 15 gph. I
pulled the power back to 25 inches, and that dropped the fuel flow to 14
gph, and still high EGTs. Since this is below 65% power, the engine will
stay cool at peak EGT.
I assume that the high end and low end adjustments are hard limits to the
fuel flow. I think the problem is something different since it only shows up
at high altitudes, and at low altitudes there is more than enough fuel flow.

I hope to have the problem looked at soon. It is scheduled to go into the
shop two weeks from now.

"The Visitor" wrote in message
It could be your high end fuel flow is not sufficient. (Yes there is also
a low end setting also.)

When you do a normal take off at full rich, does the FF needle go to just
about the redline?

John

soxinbox wrote:
I have a piper turbo arrow with a TSIO-360-FB engine. It has the original
waste gate on the turbo, and an after market turbo plus intercooler.
I recently made a long trip, and got the plane up to 14000 for the first
time in a long time. I was having trouble keeping the exhaust temp down.
I had the mixture full rich, and the engine was only using 14 gph. It
seemed I could not get the mixture rich enough.

I don't remember this happening on any of my previous flights at high
altitude, but the previous flights were a while back. The plane behaves
perfectly normal at altitudes up to 10000 which is were most of my flying
is.

Does this imply something wrong with the fuel system or fuel pump or is
this normal behavior for these planes?

Old June 8th 06, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

How close is your fuel flow to redline, during take-off?

Old June 8th 06, 02:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Ken Reed wrote:
For cruise, do you have the cowling cooling mod? [I'm guessing
yours is an Arrow III.]

No, I fly a Mooney Bravo. Sounds like you may have been discussing a
different (and specific) airplane and engine combination ?

Sorry for the confusion. The original post said "I have a piper turbo
arrow with a TSIO-360-FB engine." and that's what I was going on.

Old June 10th 06, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I caught that part of the question the first time, but I didn't respond to
it because I haven't noticed the flow level before. When I take off, I look
quickly at the manifold and RPM, but only a quick glance at the fuel flow. I
will try to take more notice if I go up this week. I guess I should expect
it to go close to red line if every thing is OK according to your previous
posts.

Thanks for the reply.

Turbo Lance MP flux ? John Doe Owning 3 September 28th 05 01:56 AM
Why turbo normalizer? Robert M. Gary Piloting 61 May 20th 05 04:33 PM
turbo stc? The Weiss Family Owning 21 October 3rd 04 10:35 PM
First Time Buyer - High Time Turbo Arrow [email protected] Owning 21 July 6th 04 07:30 PM
Partnership Question Harry Gordon Owning 4 August 16th 03 11:23 PM