We Are All Spaniards

Old March 27th 04, 06:25 PM
Dylan Smith

In article 7Q09c.11753$gA5.178465@attbi_s03, Newps wrote:
No problem. When the oil runs out in a few hundred years, if ever, we
will have already been using a different technology for awhile. There
are already electric cars.

....which ultimately are powered by gas/coal fired power stations.

Hydrogen fuel cells are being used by a few
cities now, etc.

Hydrogen is an energy storage medium, not a source. The hydrogen comes
from oil, and you lose some of the oil's energy in the process.

People have been raving about biodiesel, but guess what - biodiesel is
95% dead dinosaur and only 5% rape seed oil.

Not until we get over our hang-ups over nuclear energy will we have any
chance of kicking our oil habit, and we have to make a lot of big
improvements in nuclear energy first as well. Sort of hard since with
every passing year, society gets even more anti-nuclear power.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old March 27th 04, 06:29 PM
Dylan Smith

In article , S Green wrote:
less and less.

Cannot get used to commercials every 5 minutes

When I first went to the States, I was surprised the Simpsons took a
whole half hour slot. BBC2 gets two episodes into half an hour by not
having ads.

Then there was the increasing Clear Channel radio hegemony. Thank $DEITY
for the local college radio station (which actually played decent music,
even if the presenters were obvious newbies). And the BBC website.

Anyway, who needs TV when you have the Internet.

Old March 27th 04, 06:34 PM
Dylan Smith

In article ed39c.101758$_w.1314500@attbi_s53, Jay Honeck wrote:
Of course, NPR mentioned this only in passing, with great reluctance. It
was almost like they were apologizing to their listeners for reporting
something good from Iraq. (They, of course, ended with reports of more
sabotage in the oil fields, just to placate the faithful...)

The BBC quite happily reports the improvements, as well as the bad
stuff.

For the record, I'm pro kicking-out-Saddam Hussein. I think many of the
anti-war lot seem to like to conveniently forget he actually used
weapons of mass destruction on his own people. I was appalled when we
didn't kick him out in the first war. What I don't like is how our
politicians - if not outright lied, were economic with the truth to try
and justify the war. I think the war would have enjoyed broader support
if politicians hadn't been such weasels over it. Although I support the
war, I don't support the way in which our politicians tried to justify
it.

Old March 27th 04, 06:35 PM
Dan Luke

"Dylan Smith" wrote:

In my opinion, Malthus was right. IMHO, the world would be a
better place had the population levelled at 800M.

I agree. The more the population grows, the more conflict and violence
will grow with it. Enlightenment and brotherly cooperation are not
becoming more evident as the planet becomes more crowded.
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old March 27th 04, 07:16 PM
Doug Carter

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

How much have our proposed solutions in many areas been conditioned by
Hollyweird?

More importantly, how has the perception of the U.S. by
the rest of the
world been formed?

There seems to be a popular theory (in the U.S. anyway)
that the rest of
the world hates us because we are imperialists -- despite
the obvious opposite
reality. Perhaps this comes from NPR (more properly,
National Guilt Radio)
and the needs of dictators to keep their population
diverted.

I suspect the dominate effect it not our foreign policy
but the perception created
by Hollywood.

While I have not dug into the numbers yet, I bet that the
ratio of people in the
rest of the world that have seen U.S. produced films and
listened to U.S. gangsta
rap to those who have actually been to the U.S. and
observed 'normal' people is
many tens of millions to one.

The primary images these people have to produce their
perception of the U.S. is
based on the beliefs portrayed by the likes of Michael
Moore, Ludacris and
Dan Rather.

(the reference to Dan Rather is not accidental...there is
little material difference
between the U.S. entertainment and news industries at this
point.)
Old March 27th 04, 07:22 PM
Doug Carter

Tom Sixkiller wrote:
In talking with some computer types from India, Ed

Yourdon was told "I can
get a dishwasher for $25". Yourdon was appalled, thinking he was talking
about an appliance until the fellow said that was someone to do the dishes.

The CIA World Fact Book (don't laugh) has the India per
capita purchasing
power parity at $2,600 compared to the U.S.A. at $36,300.
So, a computer
programmer in India making 1/10th of a comparable U.S.
wage could probably
afford several dishwashers!
Old March 27th 04, 08:53 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article , Tom Sixkiller wrote:
There were also fewer people to feed. Labour is also a renewable
resource.

You just inverted your argument.

No I didn't.

[labour is a renewable resource...]

That's the dumbest thing I've read this year (well, it's only March).

But it also begs the question - isn't six billion enough already?

Well, 200 years ago, Malthus said 800 million was enough already.

In my opinion, Malthus was right. IMHO, the world would be a better
place had the population levelled at 800M.

Well, why don't you volunteer to go first?

Old March 27th 04, 08:55 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Dylan Smith" wrote:

In my opinion, Malthus was right. IMHO, the world would be a
better place had the population levelled at 800M.

I agree. The more the population grows, the more conflict and violence
will grow with it.

Like the Middle Ages?

Enlightenment and brotherly cooperation are not
becoming more evident as the planet becomes more crowded.

Boy, what an dismal outlook you have!!

Old March 27th 04, 08:59 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dan Luke" wrote in message
"Tom Sixkiller" wrote:
Are we installing a puppet government in Iraq?

That is not our intent, I am sure, but that will be the result if we
stay long.

How long did we occupy Germany, Japan, South Korea? And only SK had
conflicts afterward?

"puppet government"?

One that requires an alien government's intimate support and direction
to survive.

That would be half the world outside the US.

but in Germany there was.

Nothing significant or persistent;

Correct, many went to the eastern bloc and rasied hell from the other side
of the Iron Curtain.

certainly not as much as there still
is in Afghanistan.

Did we wage war in Afghanistan in the same manner we did in WW2?

In Iraq, the Iraqi's will have take on the opposition.

Indeed. But Iraqis ARE the opposition, too, with the help of all sorts
of foreign scoundrels that have flocked to Iraq since the war.

Nice lumping them all together. I thought that's what conservatives are
supposed to do?

Old March 27th 04, 09:02 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Dylan Smith" wrote in message
In article 7Q09c.11753$gA5.178465@attbi_s03, Newps wrote:
No problem. When the oil runs out in a few hundred years, if ever, we
will have already been using a different technology for awhile. There
are already electric cars.

...which ultimately are powered by gas/coal fired power stations.

Hydrogen fuel cells are being used by a few
cities now, etc.

Hydrogen is an energy storage medium, not a source.
The hydrogen comes
from oil, and you lose some of the oil's energy in the process.

Misleading and/or just plain wrong.

People have been raving about biodiesel, but guess what - biodiesel is
95% dead dinosaur and only 5% rape seed oil.

Big whoop...so is cold fusion.

Not until we get over our hang-ups over nuclear energy will we have any
chance of kicking our oil habit, and we have to make a lot of big
improvements in nuclear energy first as well.

Improvements being stiffled all the time.

Sort of hard since with
every passing year, society gets even more anti-nuclear power.

Due to propaganda from the left/environuts.