Doing float plane training in Canada

Old April 22nd 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Doing float plane training in Canada

I'm a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident in the US with a US ASEL-IA.
I'd like to get a float plane rating, but the school that most appeals to
me is in Canada. They have information on their web site about getting a
Canadian Limited Term Private Pilot License in order to do the training
there, but say to "apply to your local Civil Avation Authority for
information to have the rating added to your foriegn pilot license."

Has anybody here done that? How hard is it?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"Belligerent Design: The theory that life was put on this planet by an
Old April 23rd 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article , Paul Tomblin wrote:
I'm a Canadian citizen, a permanent resident in the US with a US ASEL-IA.
I'd like to get a float plane rating, but the school that most appeals to
me is in Canada. They have information on their web site about getting a
Canadian Limited Term Private Pilot License in order to do the training
there, but say to "apply to your local Civil Avation Authority for
information to have the rating added to your foriegn pilot license."

Has anybody here done that? How hard is it?

Hi, Paul,

This is from (mumble) years back, but after flying around in the U.S.
on my Canadian license (with a U.S. certificate issued on the basis of
a current Canadian licences) for a while, I decided to go for the U.S.
private as a base to add on an instrument rating.

IIRC, the FAA accepted all my training, but I wound up having to redo
the solo cross country to U.S. specs (I forget what the issue was with
my Canadian solo cross country, but my post-license cross countries
were either not solo, not enough landings, or not the right distance).
I also had to do the U.S. night training, which isn't required for the
Canadian private since the night rating's a separate add-on in Canada.

Check with your local FSDO, but you should be able to do the float
plane training in Canada. Assume you'll have to meet U.S. training
requirements and do a flight test according to PTS standards with a
U.S. designated examiner.

HTH,

Morris