OLC Submissions and Cambridge 302

Old April 27th 06, 04:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default OLC Submissions and Cambridge 302

Can someone who is sucessfully using the DOS applications for
downloading, converting logs from the 302 and sucessfully posting to
OLC post the process? I am interested in the DOS process only.

There are 4 files mentioned on OLC and FAI web sites:

1. datacam2.exe - for downloading flight traces (does this yield a .cai
file?)
2. valicam2.exe - for verifying security of cai or .igc?
3. conv-cam - to make an .igc out of a .fai?
4. cai2igc - seems same as #3 - perhaps not for the 302

Thanks

Scott Elhardt

Old April 27th 06, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

scooter wrote:
Can someone who is sucessfully using the DOS applications for
downloading, converting logs from the 302 and sucessfully posting to
OLC post the process? I am interested in the DOS process only.

There are 4 files mentioned on OLC and FAI web sites:

1. datacam2.exe - for downloading flight traces (does this yield a .cai
file?)
2. valicam2.exe - for verifying security of cai or .igc?
3. conv-cam - to make an .igc out of a .fai?
4. cai2igc - seems same as #3 - perhaps not for the 302

datacam2.exe (download) and valicam2.exe (validation) are the only DOS
programs that are needed for the 302, it's native file format is IGC, so
no conversion is necessary. The other programs are for the GPS-NAV.

Marc
Old April 27th 06, 12:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Be advised that we have identfied a problem with the C302 where
valicam2.exe reports "Log Data Integrity OK, Signature Data Integrity
OK, Security Fail" which indicates a bad security seal, even though the
C302 reports that the security seal is good. All we know so far is that
it has happened on a C302 that has produced good logs before without
any known cause (i.e. it wasn't tampered with). Suspected causes are
nearly full memory, and not using the datacam2.exe DOS download
program, but we have not been able to isolate this yet. So if you have
had this problem, please post your story to help us understand the
problem.

Whenever you download an IGC file from the C302 (or any IGC logger) and
want to use it for OLC or FAI badges and records, you must run the IGC
DOS validation program to make sure you have a valid log file. Do this
before you erase the flight from the logger memory. If the file does
not pass validation, download it again, using a different computer if
necessary. If you are using a windows program to download, and still
get an invalid log, try the DOS version of the download program.

Old April 27th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Thanks Marc;

Have you tried running these applications under PocketDOS on a PDA?

Seems it would be nice to not have to connect a laptop each time.

Scott

Old April 27th 06, 04:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

scooter wrote:
Thanks Marc;

Have you tried running these applications under PocketDOS on a PDA?

Seems it would be nice to not have to connect a laptop each time.

I've used the Cambridge-supplied PDA utility to download for several
years, with no problems. You can get it from their web site.

Marc
Old April 27th 06, 04:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Use the 302 utility program available from CAI to download to the PDA:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/300ser...ity%20Programs

The utility program reports validation, so am not sure about whether
following up with valicam is still needed.

-Tom

Old April 27th 06, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Hi,

I recommend using the Cambridge 300 Utility on a Pocket PC or PC first. It
is very easy to use and will work 99.9999% of the time. If it fails, try
again. If it fails multiple times then try the DOS program. It would
probably work equally well using Pocket DOS on a Pocket PC.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

oups.com...

Old April 27th 06, 04:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

5Z wrote:
Use the 302 utility program available from CAI to download to the PDA:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/300ser...ity%20Programs

The utility program reports validation, so am not sure about whether
following up with valicam is still needed.

I've never had an IGC file that validates when downloaded using the
Cambridge PDA utility, that later fails to validate with valicam2. The
paranoid (like myself), will always later verify a file using valicam2,
if they want to be certain of proper flight documentation for
badge/record (or for that matter, OLC) purposes.

The one thing you absolutely do not want to do, is download from a 302
(or other approved flight recorders) using, for (a not quite random)
example, SeeYou, and send the resulting IGC file off without verifying it...

Marc
Old April 27th 06, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Doug Haluza wrote:
[...]

Sounds exactly like the problem I had. I was downloading to an Ipaq
using the CAI supplied PDA download program. CAI said they saw a
problem like this maybe once every year or two. It then happened again
after another 9 or 10 flights. Cambridge didn't suggest trying a DOS
download, but instead replaced the flash memory. Problem hasn't
recurred, but I have had only a handful of flights since the repair, and
the repair did give an empty memory, so if that was the problem you
wouldn't see it again for quite a while.
Old April 27th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Marc Ramsey wrote:
5Z wrote:
Use the 302 utility program available from CAI to download to the PDA:
http://www.cambridge-aero.com/300ser...ity%20Programs

The utility program reports validation, so am not sure about whether
following up with valicam is still needed.

I've never had an IGC file that validates when downloaded using the
Cambridge PDA utility, that later fails to validate with valicam2. The
paranoid (like myself), will always later verify a file using valicam2,
if they want to be certain of proper flight documentation for
badge/record (or for that matter, OLC) purposes.

The one thing you absolutely do not want to do, is download from a 302
(or other approved flight recorders) using, for (a not quite random)
example, SeeYou, and send the resulting IGC file off without verifying it...

Now hold on here, I have a CAI 302, I use the CAI Utility program
2.56 and download my flight to my PDA, to my flash card. When I get
home, I take it from my flash card to See You, then I submit it to the
OLC, using See You. I don't have any problems, not last year, year
before, or this year. I also use my 302 for contests, no problems.
Also, last year, set numerous State records. No problem. When I power
up my panel, and the 302 is turned on, I watch the 303 window for the
checks that the 302 goes thur before I go fly. When I download the
flight from the 302, using the CAI Utility progam, I get a windows
message, telling me everything is OK. I am not a software hacker, just
use it like it was designed for, and will be very happy when my new
glider gets here, so I can go fly and start posting flights on the OLC.
What I do hope for, is some year the OLC folks come up with a OLC
contest for those of us who would like to declare turnpoints before we
go flying, maybe giving us bonus points for declared completed tasks,
thus, we show we can plan a flight before we just go flying and skylark
around the sky. I do enjoy skylarking around the sky, and find using
the OLC helps me practice, by trying to get the most from the day. BUT
for me, declaring a task, and competing it, is very rewarding, just as
contest flying is, when completing the called task results in good
results. I now am rambling, which I wouldn't be, if my new glider would
of gotten here on time. As you all can see, I am not happy about my new
glider not being here. Never trust a salesman, period. The reason for
no early contest reports is.....yep.....no new glider. Salesman know so
much before they get your money, then afterwards, they know nothing.
Sorta like those 3 monkeys.......see no, hear no, speak no, they just
sit around and scratch, belch, and fart........Thermal tight, Soar
high, Fly safe, # 711.