Minimums?

Old January 9th 08, 10:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian[_5_]

Default Minimums?

While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

From what I've been told, "minimums" indicates the decision as to
whether or not the field is in sight, correct?

so if minimums are not met, go around? Am I right in assuming this?
Old January 10th 08, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
F. Baum

On Jan 9, 3:01*pm, Brian wrote:
While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and "Minimums"
callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically according to
where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to RA).

From what I've been told, "minimums" indicates the decision as to
whether or not the field is in sight, correct?

The term "Minimums" in this case refers to the DH or DA (Depending on
the type of approach). The runway environment must be insight by the
time a pilot reaches minimums (Which is the MAP on many approaches).

so if minimums are not met, go around? Am I right in assuming this?

For part 91 ops, you only need to have the required inflight
visibility.
Frank

Old January 10th 08, 04:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"bertie_the_bunyip" wrote in
:

"F. Baum" wrote in message

@c4g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 9, 3:01 pm, Brian wrote:
While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and "Minimums"
callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically according to
where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to RA).

From what I've been told, "minimums" indicates the decision as to
whether or not the field is in sight, correct?

The term "Minimums" in this case refers to the DH or DA (Depending on
the type of approach). The runway environment must be insight by the
time a pilot reaches minimums (Which is the MAP on many approaches).

so if minimums are not met, go around? Am I right in assuming this?

For part 91 ops, you only need to have the required inflight
visibility.
Frank
Nope Fjuckwit

Bertie

Whoowh!

Hi!

Spelled Fjukkwit BTW.

Do you know where I left my socks? I can't find them anywhere.

Bertie also

Old January 10th 08, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 10, 7:20*am, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Jan 9, 3:01*pm, Brian wrote:

While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and "Minimums"
callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically according to
where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to RA).

The newer Boeings may call "minimums" from the approach set in the
FMS.

-Robert
Old January 10th 08, 06:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 10, 9:53*am, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in news:e59d55d7-f173-4703-956b-
:

On Jan 10, 7:20*am, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Jan 9, 3:01*pm, Brian wrote:

While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and "Minimums"
callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically according to
where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to RA).

The newer Boeings may call "minimums" from the approach set in the
FMS.

Nope,. they call it off the rad alt.

Is it always 200 feet or is it based on the approach though?

-Robert
Old January 10th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_19_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in
:

On Jan 10, 7:20*am, "F. Baum" wrote:
On Jan 9, 3:01*pm, Brian wrote:

While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear
"minimums"

called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and
"Minimums" callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically
according to where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to
RA).

The newer Boeings may call "minimums" from the approach set in the
FMS.

Nope,. they call it off the rad alt.

Is it always 200 feet or is it based on the approach though?

You set it to the DH. It's usually used for Cat II or III aproaches,
Yosemite Sam. You can set it to any rad alt height you like up to as
high as it will go. Our's goes from-20 ( we set it to minus if there is
no DH at all, like on a Cat IIIB) or to whatever it is. Could be 15
feet, 50 feet, 100 feet, whatever is specified for the approach. If the
WX isn't really bad, we don't set it at all, but some airplanes set it
as a matter of course.

Bertie

Old January 10th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:20:40 -0800 (PST), "F. Baum"
wrote:

On Jan 9, 3:01*pm, Brian wrote:
While watching a lot of landing videos and whatnot, I hear "minimums"
called out as an aircraft approaches its landing field.

Brian, who is calling "minimums" ? This is typically done on a two
pilot crew when the PM makes an "Appoaching Minimums" and "Minimums"
callouts. On newer planes this is done automatically according to
where the minimums bug is set (Usually referenced to RA).

Or by certain altitude alerters in some autopilots, I can get an alert
from the 66X.

From what I've been told, "minimums" indicates the decision as to
whether or not the field is in sight, correct?

The term "Minimums" in this case refers to the DH or DA (Depending on
the type of approach). The runway environment must be insight by the
time a pilot reaches minimums (Which is the MAP on many approaches).

so if minimums are not met, go around? Am I right in assuming this?

For part 91 ops, you only need to have the required inflight
visibility.

Don't you have to have ceiling and visibility, or at least the laundry
list from 91.175(c)(3)(i) to proceed to 100' ATDZE? I'm thinking
airport in a valley with fog yet you're at the DH and still above the
layer.