Bush flew fighter jets, but never over VIETNAM.

Old July 20th 04, 10:54 PM
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:22:04 -0400, "Brett"
wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Those flying for Delta Connection probably do.

Well, just to ping you, since you ping me on equipment below, Delta
Connection isn't operating 76's.

Old F-105 bud of mine just retired (mandatory) last year from Delta
after flying 747-400s.

He wasn't flying for Delta if he was in 747-400's, Delta's equipment
includes 777's, 767-200/-300/-400, MD-11, 757-200 .... The top of the heap
at Delta should be on 777's and 767-300ER/-400ER's

Musta been 767-400ER since he was doing the Trans-Lant runs out of
Atlanta. Cal Tax, mentioned in Fast Movers by John Sherwood. Flew his
F-105 tour out of Tahkli in '67. Still comes to River Rats most every
year. First class guy.

It's a job that never interested me. Guess money wasn't that
important. But, if I had it to do over again, I might have made a
different choice....nahh!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Old July 20th 04, 11:03 PM
Brett

wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Those flying for Delta Connection probably do.

Well, just to ping you, since you ping me on equipment below, Delta
Connection isn't operating 76's.

Except my remark here was related to the comment about "yesterday hire FE on
a Fokker" who do probably make a lot less than $48K.

Old July 20th 04, 11:11 PM
Ed Rasimus

wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Those flying for Delta Connection probably do.

Well, just to ping you, since you ping me on equipment below, Delta
Connection isn't operating 76's.

Except my remark here was related to the comment about "yesterday hire FE on
a Fokker" who do probably make a lot less than $48K.

So, it's gonna be that way, huh? Dunno if Delta flies Fokkers at all,
but the only Fokkers I know about in US service don't have FEs at all.

I was simply suggesting that $4k/month is a mighty low wage for any
driver at a major carrier.

Old July 21st 04, 01:39 AM
Brett

wrote:

"Ed Rasimus" wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday

hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Those flying for Delta Connection probably do.

Well, just to ping you, since you ping me on equipment below, Delta
Connection isn't operating 76's.

Except my remark here was related to the comment about "yesterday hire FE

on
a Fokker" who do probably make a lot less than $48K.

So, it's gonna be that way, huh?

I didn't mean it to sound "that way".

Dunno if Delta flies Fokkers at all,

They don't.

but the only Fokkers I know about in US service don't have FEs at all.

I don't believe any of the major US carriers have any current equipment now
that actually has FE stations.

I was simply suggesting that $4k/month is a mighty low wage for any
driver at a major carrier.

Well I know one Air Force Major who left the service a few years ago to take
a position at US Airways and his initial salary from what he said was going
to be good deal lower than his Air Force pay.
The local Atlanta newspaper had an article earlier this year about Delta
managements demands for pay concessions by the pilots and the quoted
starting salaries for pilots at Delta (not the Connection) was $45,000 (most
of those would have already have been laid off at the time of the article).
For the senior pilots (ANG trained pilots who after their initial training
commitment could start work at any airline, would normally have the longest
time with the company) the pay and benefits were excellent, but the large
number of those pilots taking retirement in the last 18 months is one of the
reasons (to guarantee their lump sum pension payout incase Delta takes
Chapter 11) why Delta's quoted loss was $2B this week.

Old July 21st 04, 02:43 AM
Mike Marron

Ed Rasimus wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Old F-105 bud of mine just retired (mandatory) last year from Delta
after flying 747-400s. I asked him how he was doing and he said he'd
been making $350-375K/yr, but he did weekend and holiday standby
reserve which paid double-time so he tweaked his annual up closer to
$450K.

If you can say "no doubt the guy is a millionaire" you probably gotta
recognize he didn't get there on $48K/yr.

Unless he's paying alimony to several trophies....

According to my friend (whom, BTW, is a Cap'n on the 767) most
people *grossly* overestimate how much airline pilots actually
earn these days.

All I know is that I was a Part 135 (cargo) pilot for a while and
would've thought I had died and gone to heaven if they paid
ME $4K per month!

I'm sure nothing tops what you've done, Ed, but if ya' can't do that,
ya can't beat flying just for the sheer enjoyment of flying. And the
lighter the better...

Old July 21st 04, 03:29 AM
Brett

"Mike Marron" wrote:
Ed Rasimus wrote:

Sorry, Mike, but if your bud is telling the truth about flying 76's
for Delta, he's doing $4K/week not month. Not even the yesterday hire
FE on a Fokker is making as little as$48K/year.

Old F-105 bud of mine just retired (mandatory) last year from Delta
after flying 747-400s. I asked him how he was doing and he said he'd
been making $350-375K/yr, but he did weekend and holiday standby
reserve which paid double-time so he tweaked his annual up closer to
$450K.

If you can say "no doubt the guy is a millionaire" you probably gotta
recognize he didn't get there on $48K/yr.

Unless he's paying alimony to several trophies....

According to my friend (whom, BTW, is a Cap'n on the 767) most
people *grossly* overestimate how much airline pilots actually
earn these days.

http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Payscales/PayScales.htm

A Delta B-757/B767 Captain (same cockpit) working the minimum 65 hours a
month at $243/hr should gross $15,795/month

Old July 21st 04, 03:57 AM
Mike Marron

"Brett" wrote:

http://www.willflyforfood.cc/Payscales/PayScales.htm

A Delta B-757/B767 Captain (same cockpit) working the minimum 65 hours a
month at $243/hr should gross $15,795/month

Thanks. I'll ask my friend about this next time I have him on the
phone and let ya know shortly exactly what he said.

Old July 21st 04, 05:55 AM
Jack

Mike Marron wrote:

According to my friend (whom, BTW, is a Cap'n on the 767) most
people *grossly* overestimate how much airline pilots actually
earn these days.

And then there's the old airline pilot story about the guy who never
told his wife about the raises that come, not only with longevity, but
also with bigger equipment, and moving up a seat.

After 15 years she still thought he made only $4,000 a month.

Jack
Old July 21st 04, 01:33 PM
Mike Marron

Jack wrote:
Mike Marron wrote:

According to my friend (whom, BTW, is a Cap'n on the 767) most
people *grossly* overestimate how much airline pilots actually
earn these days.

And then there's the old airline pilot story about the guy who never
told his wife about the raises that come, not only with longevity, but
also with bigger equipment, and moving up a seat.

Heh.

(You forgot to mention the story about the guy who never told his
trophy about the wage and benefit cuts, furloughs, defaulting pension
plans, etc. as her hubby's non-performing, money grubbin' union
airline plummets into Chapter 11 bankruptcy...)

After 15 years she still thought he made only $4,000 a month.

Only? According to the Department of Labor statistics, the median
monthly income of *full-time* workers in the U.S. is roughly half
that.
Old July 21st 04, 02:22 PM
Jack

Mike Marron wrote:
Jack wrote:

After 15 years she still thought he made only $4,000 a month.

Only? According to the Department of Labor statistics, the median
monthly income of *full-time* workers in the U.S. is roughly half
that.

Let them eat cake, and fly ultralights. ;

Jack

Bush's guard record JDKAHN Home Built 13 October 3rd 04 09:38 PM
Bush Flew Fighter Jets During Vietnam WalterM140 Military Aviation 609 September 11th 04 03:26 AM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM