EU as joke (modified)

Old November 3rd 03, 07:53 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote:

I agree that Chirac should have shut up, too. On the other hand
he had a point: Members of the EU should at least try to speak
with one voice when dealing with the US.

Why?

They have very different needs and priorities in pretty much every
aspect of international politics, and even though they're a "Union" in a
somewhat superficial sense, they're not one large Ubercountry.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old November 3rd 03, 11:05 PM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

(BUFDRVR) wrote in
:

Most europeans know Bush, and his administration, as
responsible for misleading the United Nations, falsifying and
manipulating intelligence information in order to gather
support for the most radical action any nation can undertake -
acts of war against another nation.

Hogwash! His persona in Europe as a "cowboy" predated 9/11/01.
Try again....

Again, I don't know what you mean by "cowboy", but I do know
Bush's image, be it right or not, suffers from his
inability to communcate with a clear sense of depth, wisdom
and well articulation compared to some other US presidents,
or officials. Clinton didn't, Bush senior didn't, Gore didn't..

You might say "oh where's the politics and intellect in this?"
Well there isn't that much, go figure, but then neither
perhaps is cowboy'ism.

Though much of that perception is completely overshadowed
by the recent scandals. Because that's what it is, scandal. :^/

In some ways the US image is that of an extremly competent
offencive machine, but lack the ability to resolve deep
routed cultural or religious conflicts. If nothing else,
then aparently on the basis that they let their own national
interests, or shortsightedness, come in the way for a
real understanding on how to approach something like that.

Oh it could be worse of course, but some people should also
start giving way to the though that neither the US nor
europe can manage this problem alone, not even together -
it's a team effort with the rest of the world playing.

Though I guess wonder what "cowboy" would amount to these days,
or how many europeans you have spoken with on the matter.

Just returned from 3 weeks in GE and BE and went out one night
with a Belgian who is a future brother-in-law of one of the guys
in my office. Spent over 3 hours talking with him, also had
lunch and dinner with a few SHAPE officers. At least the SHAPE
officers understand the reality of American politics, one in
fact thought the whole European "cowboy" persona was a horrible
blunder of international politics.

I sincerely hope you had an fun and worthwhile trip, but I'm
sure you can see the slim conection in what you write above,
compared to my point. :^)

Just curious, have you ever lived or serviced in europe, or
anywhere else for that matter? I would be surprise if you
hadn't.

Regards...
Old November 3rd 03, 11:54 PM
Chad Irby

In article ,
"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote:

"William Wright" wrote in message

"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote in message

I agree that Chirac should have shut up, too. On the other hand
he had a point: Members of the EU should at least try to speak
with one voice when dealing with the US.

Why?

Well, because it is the point of a political alliance, which is
what the EU is, despite some claims to the contrary.

Look at the refusal of some of the major EU countries to comply with
something as simple as a debt ceiling. One of the first things they
"agreed" on, and it's failing miserably.

The EU is a loose political alliance, but it's certainly not going to be
"one voice" in any true sense.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old November 4th 03, 01:01 AM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Alan Minyard wrote in
:
On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 14:02:07 GMT, "Bjørnar"
wrote:
(BUFDRVR) wrote in
:

Universally most of Europe knows Bush as a "cowboy". Talk
about intellectual laziness.

Most europeans know Bush, and his administration, as
responsible for misleading the United Nations, falsifying and
manipulating intelligence information in order to gather
support for the most radical action any nation can undertake -
acts of war against another nation.

Though I guess wonder what "cowboy" would amount to these days,
or how many europeans you have spoken with on the matter.

Regards...

You mean the europeans who supported Saddam?????

Well, which europeans do you feel supports Saddam?

Europeans (with a few notable exceptions) are too cowardly
and feeble to do anything, that is except to criticize the
Country that has saved them on several occasions.

I guess ones does what any critic would and should do in
the face of manipulation, express a voice against it.
It takes courage, and I know for a fact that many
americans are doing that as well.

But "europeans"? You might wan't to rethink that.

Regards...

Old November 4th 03, 01:06 AM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Chad Irby wrote in
:

The EU is a loose political alliance, but it's certainly not
going to be "one voice" in any true sense.

And thank Buddah for that.

Regards...
Old November 4th 03, 01:50 AM
Bjørnar Bolsøy

Stephen Harding wrote in
:
Emmanuel Gustin wrote:

His cowboy reputation has less to do with his accent (I
wouldn't recognize a Texas accent anyway) than with the geeky,
unworldly style of his rethoric. To most Europeans the notion
that someone could give speeches like that and take himself
seriously is past belief. European leaders who have met George
W. actually praise him as an intelligent and charming
interlocutor, so one must assume that he does it on purpose...

GW clearly isn't a wordsmith, and delivery is very
unsophisticated for a politico. But he comes across to me as
"honest" in intent (contrary to his predecessor, who was very
smooth talking and had a great delivery).

In light of post 9/11 events, in particular, I would ask myself
who the real smooth talker is.

Regards...
Old November 4th 03, 03:12 AM
Steve Hix

In article ,
"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote:

"William Wright" wrote in message

"Emmanuel Gustin" wrote in message

I agree that Chirac should have shut up, too. On the other hand
he had a point: Members of the EU should at least try to speak
with one voice when dealing with the US.

Why?

Well, because it is the point of a political alliance, which is
what the EU is, despite some claims to the contrary.

So who gets to choose which voice is presented?
Old November 4th 03, 01:45 PM
BUFDRVR

Again, I don't know what you mean by "cowboy", but I do know
Bush's image, be it right or not, suffers from his
inability to communcate with a clear sense of depth, wisdom
and well articulation compared to some other US presidents,
or officials.

You don't what I mean by cowboy? Come on, there were political cartoons daily
of Bush with a big 10 gallon hat on, riding horses and performing other such
ranch tasks. Additionally, his ranch in Texas was under constant attack in the
European press for being "isolated in the desert".

Just curious, have you ever lived or serviced in europe, or
anywhere else for that matter?

As a bomber guy, it'll be rare if I'm ever permantly stationed overseas (unless
they open a bomb wing on Andersen AFB, Guam...again), but I spent 5 months at
RAF Fairford during Operation ALLIED FORCE.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

The joke called TSA Spockstuto Instrument Flight Rules 58 December 27th 04 12:54 PM
Sick Boeing Joke. plasticguy Home Built 0 April 1st 04 03:16 PM
On Topic Joke Eric Miller Home Built 8 March 6th 04 03:01 AM
Europe as joke Cub Driver Military Aviation 165 November 8th 03 10:45 PM
American joke on the Brits ArtKramr Military Aviation 50 September 30th 03 10:52 PM