Why would someone choose to fly VFR on top?

Old October 25th 05, 01:03 AM
Matt Whiting

Default Why would someone choose to fly VFR on top?

Andrew Gideon wrote:

Newps wrote:

As to your question you would handle it
like any opther lost comm, that's why you were cleared to a point,
that's the point you will go to and then pick an approach and land, and
because there's no filed clearance you go right to the VOR and then
directly to whatever approach you want.

Perhaps I misunderstood, but I thought the VOR not near the destination
airport.

If a clearance is to an airport, I understand the "pick an
approach" ...um... approach. But it's when the clearance limit is to a
waypoint that's not an airport (ie. some VOR somewhere) that leaves me
puzzled. Recall that there's no specification within "the system" as to
the final destination in that case.

Well, you shouldn't accept a clearance limit without an EFC. And you
have your flight plan, so you fly to the clearance limit, hold until
your EFC and then proceed per your flight plan and fly an approach. At
least that is what I'd do.

Matt
Old October 25th 05, 11:58 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Well, you shouldn't accept a clearance limit without an EFC. And you have
your flight plan, so you fly to the clearance limit, hold until your EFC
and then proceed per your flight plan and fly an approach. At least that
is what I'd do.

Every IFR clearance has a clearance limit, an EFC is issued only if holding
is anticipated.

Old October 25th 05, 12:14 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Well, you shouldn't accept a clearance limit without an EFC. And you have
your flight plan, so you fly to the clearance limit, hold until your EFC
and then proceed per your flight plan and fly an approach. At least that
is what I'd do.

Every IFR clearance has a clearance limit, an EFC is issued only if holding
is anticipated.

Yes, but typically the clearance limit is an airport. :-)

Matt
Old October 25th 05, 12:22 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Yes, but typically the clearance limit is an airport. :-)

Yes, but clearances with non-airport clearance limits do not include an EFC
unless holding is anticipated.

Old October 25th 05, 04:09 PM

Canada makes the same distinction.

All the best,

David

Old October 25th 05, 10:42 PM
Matt Whiting

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

Yes, but typically the clearance limit is an airport. :-)

Yes, but clearances with non-airport clearance limits do not include an EFC
unless holding is anticipated.

OK, but I was taught to always ask for an EFC if given a clearance limit
that wasn't an airport.

Matt
Old October 30th 05, 10:11 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Matt Whiting" wrote in message

OK, but I was taught to always ask for an EFC if given a clearance limit
that wasn't an airport.

Did your teacher say why?

Old November 6th 05, 09:09 AM
Sylvain

Peter wrote:
As a related question, does the USA permit a plain PPL holder (no IR)
to fly above an overcast layer?

yes.

(might or might not be a good idea, depending on your point of
view; there are a few other things that are legal and might
not be a good idea either, but I really like making my decisions
for myself)

--Sylvain

Old November 6th 05, 02:34 PM
Steven P. McNicoll

Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Owning 67 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Hurricane relief Gary Drescher Piloting 66 September 13th 05 06:09 AM
Tent Buying Guide (long, print it out) john smith Piloting 24 August 5th 05 06:12 PM
Czech body recommends gvt choose Gripen fighter Karl Military Aviation 0 December 1st 03 08:36 PM
Bush's Trip: 747 or C-17 Which would you Choose? Leadfoot Military Aviation 38 November 30th 03 04:03 PM