Soaring on Idaho Public TV

Old February 4th 05, 10:21 PM
Wayne Paul

Default Soaring on Idaho Public TV

Idaho Public TV has a series called "Outdoor Idaho." On a recent
installment, "In the Shadow of the Tetons", they filmed a ride in Blanik.
The Blanik belongs to a commercial operation in Driggs, Idaho.

The following URL contains a link to the soaring segment:
http://www.pbs.org/idahoportrait/adv.../otheradv.html

Wayne
http://www.soaridaho.com/

Old February 4th 05, 11:01 PM

Likewise...

http://www.mpt.org/odm/ODM_2000.html

The episode was called "River of Air" and appears about once a year on
Maryland Public Television. For air-to-air shots, we used a Colb
(ultralight) with Mike Waters at the contols and the camerman in the
left seat.

I saw the out-takes right after we finished shooting, including some
spectacular shots of a high speed pass from above. I never got to see
the whole program, but I liked the end. One of the most satisfying
feelings you can have in a glider is to lift yourself up by the
bootstraps and climb back up into the day (leaving another farmer with
a story of the one that got away). The program ends with the narrator
describing this feeling while a shot from above shows a glider, low,
pulling up in a thermal and starting a climb. Sweet.

Old February 5th 05, 02:45 AM
BTIZ

Our own. "Outdoor Nevada" has a series that runs about twice a year on
soaring at Minden and Jean NV.. we helped film the flights about 6 years
ago, they keep playing it on the PBS and local "community channel".. and for
about a month afterward we have people visiting the club looking for rides
or wanting to learn... sadly.. I do not have an online link to the footage.

BT

Old February 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Stewart Kissel

To bad it is a RealPlayer format...be warned if you
install this player it will take hours to get it off
your machine...very invasive. The AOL of players.
There are plug-in options that allow you to use other
players for a RealPlayer vid.

While on the subject of adware/spyware, many of the
commercial weather sites are lousy with the stuff,
WeatherBug being a notorious example. IMHO an install
of Adaware and Spybot strongly suggested before heading
down that road.

Just my experience learned the hard way, others may
have different opinions