KHSV RNAV (GPS) RWY 18R

Old November 4th 04, 04:43 PM
Stan Prevost

Default KHSV RNAV (GPS) RWY 18R

Hi, y'all -

The RNAV (GPS) RWY 18R into KHSV

http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0411/05488R18R.PDF

has a transition route from RQZ VORTAC to an IAF, HATAS. The transition
route is bearing 322 degrees, 2.1 miles. There is a note "Procedure NA for
arrivals at RQZ VORTAC on Airway Radials 261 CW 010". There is an airway at
RQZ on radial 261 and one on radial 010, nothing in between. The note
specifies a prohibited arrival sector, but also implies that the prohibition
applies only applies if arrival is on an airway. I don't understand the
reason for the word "airway" in the note. Anyone have a clue?

Also, how would one fly this approach in a nonradar situation, given an
arrival on one of the two airways? Would one give a position report and
request direct HATAS when a few miles from RQZ? One might have to be at a
higher altitude to make an uncharted off-route transition. I believe the
MVA in that area is 3000; can ATC apply MVAs in nonradar conditions?

Stan

Old November 4th 04, 07:19 PM

It is presumed you'll be arriving via airways to begin an instrument approach
procedure in a non-radar environment. If ATC has you on radar and wants to
clear you direct to a feeder fix or IAF on an RNAV IAP, then that action
supercedes those types of notes.

The reason for the note is to enforce the 120 course change limitation after a
feeder fix or IAF. Those limitations have always been in TERPs, but the FAA
didn't chart such restrictions until within the past couple of years.

Old November 4th 04, 09:04 PM
Stan Prevost

wrote in message ...
It is presumed you'll be arriving via airways to begin an instrument
approach
procedure in a non-radar environment. If ATC has you on radar and wants
clear you direct to a feeder fix or IAF on an RNAV IAP, then that action
supercedes those types of notes.

Thanks. But what about nonradar? If I arrive via one of the two airways in
the prohibited sector, how do I get to the IAF?

Old November 4th 04, 10:10 PM

Stan Prevost wrote:

wrote in message ...
It is presumed you'll be arriving via airways to begin an instrument
approach
procedure in a non-radar environment. If ATC has you on radar and wants
clear you direct to a feeder fix or IAF on an RNAV IAP, then that action
supercedes those types of notes.

Thanks. But what about nonradar? If I arrive via one of the two airways in
the prohibited sector, how do I get to the IAF?

I'm just the messenger. ;-)

Old November 5th 04, 03:33 AM
J Haggerty

Tim is absolutely correct regarding the 120 degree turn.
As for non-radar entry, you could file for airways to ELKED for the
procedure, since that turn from the airway does not exceed 120 degrees,
or arrive at ROCKET on other than those 2 airway radials.
As for the wording, it probably should have been "Procedure NA for
arrivals at RQZ VORTAC via V-xxx Eastbound and V-XXX Southbound", rather
than the phrase used, which would have made more sense if there was more
than the 2 airways within that spread.

JPH

Old November 5th 04, 04:32 AM
Stan Prevost

"J Haggerty" wrote in message
Tim is absolutely correct regarding the 120 degree turn.
As for non-radar entry, you could file for airways to ELKED for the
procedure, since that turn from the airway does not exceed 120 degrees, or
arrive at ROCKET on other than those 2 airway radials.
As for the wording, it probably should have been "Procedure NA for
arrivals at RQZ VORTAC via V-xxx Eastbound and V-XXX Southbound", rather
than the phrase used, which would have made more sense if there was more
than the 2 airways within that spread.

JPH

Yes, I understand about the 120 degree turns, and agree that ELKED is
viable, as it is an enroute waypoint on an airway, and the turn from there
is only about 90 degrees. And your comment about the note supports my
suspicion that it was just unskillfully worded.

But what I am really still wondering about is not a TERPs issue but an ATC
issue in a nonradar situation. If for whatever reason I was arriving on
the airway from the northeast, if I flew all the way to the VOR, then the
procedure is NA because of the large turn. However, if about 5 miles from
the VOR on the airway, I gave a position report and requested direct HATAS,
could ATC give me an unpublished off-airways route for the 5 miles or less
to HATAS if I was at or above their MVA in that area. I observe that the
note says "Procedure NA for arrivals **AT** RQZ...". I am trying to
determine if the prohibition can be overcome by not arriving AT the VOR but
leaving the airway before reaching the VOR so that the turn will be less.

Stan