Boundaries between Approach/Departure and Center

Old January 22nd 07, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ronnie

Default Boundaries between Approach/Departure and Center

I don't know, but I'm afarid we'll get there one day
as the reaches of the federal government continues
to grow. There is a control tower being built right
now at my local airport.

What's the reason?

Ronnie

"Sam Spade" wrote in message
Good answer. Next question: why isn't all airspace in the United States
controlled airspace?

Ronnie wrote:

The Air Traffic Control System Command Center owns all controlled
airsapce in the US. They allocate authority to 21 ATC Centers via
letters
of authorization (LOA) that specify the lateral and vertical boundaries
of each
center's airspace. The centers divide their airspace up into high
alititude
and low altitude areas with each sub-divided into multiple sectors. The
laterial
and vertical boundaries of each sector are designed to handle the
particular
geographical area and traffic flows.

Centers delegate authority to the approach / departure radar facilities
(TRACONs)
within their airspace via letters of authorization that define the
lateral and vertical
boundaries of the TRACON's airspace. There are 197 TRACONs in the US as
of
the last time I checked.

TRACONs in turn grant airspace autority via LOA to the tower facilities
within
their airspace. Again, laterial and vertical boundaries are defined in
the LOA.

Handoffs occur when a flight crosses a boundary between facilities or
sectors.
None of the charts show all these boundaries. Sectionals show controlled
airspace
associated with an airport terminal area, but there usually multiple
sectors within a
large TRACON. Low altitude IFR En Route charts show the center
boundaries,
but not the sector boundaries. Frequencies as charted for the various
sectors in a
general area, but these are not always the frequencies that a flight will
be given during
a handoff. Instrument flights deal with this by simply following the
instructions
given by ATC; eg. "N54321 contact Memphis Center on 134.25." We don't
concern our selves about where the boundaries are, because we will be
prompted
during the hand-off. Also, you may be given a hand-off before or after
you cross
an ATC boundary, depending on controller work load, his ability to
coordinate with
the receiving controller, and aircraft speed.

Should you miss a hand-off or get out of range before a hand-off occurs,
simply find
a center frequency or TRACON frequency within range and call to
re-establish
communication. If you are not on the correct frequency, the controller
will get you
to the correct one.

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message

What determines the boundaries between airspace managed by an en-route
ATC center and an approach or departure center? I don't see any clear
indication of which is which on sectionals. There are boxes saying
who to contact for approach, but nothing that shows where the handoffs
between terminal control and center usually occur. Is there a general
rule?

Old January 22nd 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Ronnie writes:

I don't know, but I'm afarid we'll get there one day
as the reaches of the federal government continues
to grow. There is a control tower being built right
now at my local airport.

What's the reason?

It's being built to help you, of course.

Old January 22nd 07, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Ronnie wrote:
I don't know, but I'm afarid we'll get there one day
as the reaches of the federal government continues
to grow. There is a control tower being built right
now at my local airport.

What airport?

What's the reason?

It may have nothing to do with the federal government. Most new towers
these days are built because the owners of the airport(city, county,
etc) want one.

Old January 23rd 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
What determines the boundaries between airspace managed by an en-route
ATC center and an approach or departure center? I don't see any clear
indication of which is which on sectionals. There are boxes saying
who to contact for approach, but nothing that shows where the handoffs
between terminal control and center usually occur. Is there a general
rule?

Why do you care if you're talking to approach or center?

-Robert, CFII

Old January 23rd 07, 07:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

Why do you care if you're talking to approach or center?

I want to know whom to contact if I'm not already in communication
with ATC.

Old January 23rd 07, 12:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_4_]

Call Microsoft.

Old January 23rd 07, 05:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Mxsmanic wrote:
Robert M. Gary writes:

Why do you care if you're talking to approach or center?

I want to know whom to contact if I'm not already in communication
with ATC.

That's only an issue in the sim world. I guess you have to worry if the
controller is taking a dump when you call? Of course I guess he may
have his laptop with him.

-Robert

Old January 23rd 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Robert M. Gary writes:

That's only an issue in the sim world.

No, it's an issue in the real world, too, if you are flying VFR.

Old January 23rd 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Mxsmanic wrote:

Robert M. Gary writes:

That's only an issue in the sim world.

No, it's an issue in the real world, too, if you are flying VFR.

It's not an issue. IFR or VFR. A real pilot knows this. This
information is in many books. Start reading chief.