Coming to a neighborhood near you

Old July 23rd 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Default Coming to a neighborhood near you

"Doug Semler" wrote

I submit that there is a higher probablity of a TFR being busted by a
pilot who erred in navigation than by "GPS guided 'devices'."

You have to think "greatest harm."

If someone wanders in with no ill intentions, he may or not get busted, but in
the end, no harm to the protectorate.

If someone uses gps to guide a weapon , conventional or assorted WMD, the
possibility of harm is indeed high.

True, not much chance, but even a small chance of the "greatest harm" is more
than someone in charge is willing to take.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 07, 02:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Semler

On Jul 23, 12:15 pm, wrote:
Doug Semler wrote:
On Jul 22, 6:04 pm, wrote:
DougS wrote:
wrote in message
DougS wrote:
wrote in message
Tina wrote:
Does anyone know if it's legal to interfere with nav sat reception? It
would be interesting to know, for example. if there were known outages
when the president was at his father's estate in Maine.

In the US, it is illegal to deliberately cause interference to any
radio service.

However, the the US government is not bound by this.

Actually, it is in a theoretical sense. Otherwise the US would be a
police
state.

The topic is interference with radio services.
*And* the legality thereof.
Premise: It is illegal to deliberately cause interference to any radio
service.
Premise: The US government is bound by its own laws.
Conclusion: The US government cannot legally cause interference to any radio
service.

The FCC doesn't write laws.

The FCC writes regulations.

The Congress writes laws.

I doubt you understand the difference and I have no desire to either
educate you or get into a long drawn out discussion on something not
at all related to piloting based on your dislike for the current
crop of government officials, all of which will change with the next
election anyway.

That's a bull**** strawman argument, and you know it. The regulations
(written by FAA or FCC or other executive branch and codified in the
CFR) have the force of law in the United States. The authority of an
executive agency to establish the regulations is granted by the US
Code. (Hint: the FAA's authority is established in 49 USC). Why do
you think there are exceptions written into TFRs for military
aircraft? If you don't think the CFR applies to government entities,
then those exceptions wouldn't be required, would they?

The Federal Government must obey the Constitution and those laws
enacted by Congress that say so.

Isn't that what I said? By extension, they must obey the CFRs

Does any Federal organization file a tax return?

Don't be silly. A federal organization doesn't fall under the
definitions of required filers.

Will the FAA ramp check a USAF F-16 pilot to see he has all his
documentation?

Just because they can doesn't mean they will (assuming that they can
g)

Will the FCC bust the Army because none of their field radios has
a station license?

Army field radios aren't category B

Will the DOT bust a Marine convoy because their vehicles don't meet
highways safety standards for headlight height and bumpers?

The DOT doesn't have jursidiction for this over the highways in any
particular state. Each indiviudal state does. And each state has
specific exemptions regarding military vehicles on their highways.
But neither does it mean that the convoy can go down the highway at
100 miles per hour either.

Here are some questions:
Are military ATC controlles certificated?
Do military aircraft require IFR clearances in IMC (not in
restricted airspace).

The penalities for violating the regulations are civil in nature,
however they are peanalties nonetheless, and are spelled out in 49 USC
463. Included in that section is the authority granted the FAA to
impose penalties for violation of its regulations. I am sure that
other agencies (including the FCC) have been granted similar powers
through the USC. Otherwise, I could hop into Travolta's 707 and fly
around willy-nilly in U.S. airspace while blocking radio signals
without any fear of any repurcussions. Those regulations are just
regulations and not law after all.

You are not the Federal Government.

So if I were, I could.

Regardless of what you may think about the applicability of a
government's ability to circumvent its own laws/regulations, it can be
a relevant point for all those who are bound by those regulations (ie
pilots).

Life is not fair; get over it.

When people try to play by the rules, and expect the rules to be
followed by all parties, but the rules are arbitrary for certain
parties, it can create a dangerous situation (see military flights
filing IFR)

BTW, your conclusion that I dislike the current crop of government
officials is a red herring and irrelevant to the discussion of whether
or not the selective (or unselective for that matter) suspension of a
regulation or law by a government is "right." That is beside your
presumption that it (the government's disregard for its own laws) will
change with the next election is flawed to say the least.

Then why bother to mention Gitmo in an aviation group when the topic
is GPS and "jamming" thereof?

sheesh Ever heard of "example to prove a point?"

Old July 27th 07, 12:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"LWG" wrote in message news
I had an interesting experience Thursday. I often fly from Baltimore to

Unless there is a national emergency in country GPS blocking is not used. You are flying a Garmin, right? Seems lots of
folks have intermittent reception issues with those. Google 396 reception or similar and see what you come up with...

Old July 27th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
LWG

Actually I was driving, but it was a Garmin nuvi. This was a very strange
case of "intermittent reception," if that's was it was. As I said in the
original post, I had the satellite position/strength page up for that trip,
and there was *no* signal from any of the satellites. Then, *poof* there
they were. I have never had that happen before, with that unit or the 295 I
use in the air. I've read a number of posts about loss of reception with
Garmin units, but I've never had it happen after 4 years of use. I use the
standard yoke mount and just the internal antenna.

Pax River advertises that they mess with the signal, so somebody's working
on it.

"Blueskies" wrote in message
. net...