RV-8 Spruce Creek, Florida

Old February 25th 09, 11:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glen in Orlando

Default RV-8 Spruce Creek, Florida

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vans RV-8 Spruce Creak Feb 2009 (Custom).jpg
Views:	123
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	32992
Old February 25th 09, 05:34 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article m,
"Glen in Orlando" wrote:

begin 666 Vans RV-8 Spruce Creak Feb 2009 (Custom).jpg
[Image]

end

This one was a "slow-build" plane -- excellent workmanship!

Old February 25th 09, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Glen in Orlando

Default Orval.. close call

Orval,
Some very nice aircraft flying around there... planning on being by the side
of the runway tomorrow Orval. Look for a red pickup and a guy with a
camera.. that'll be me!! grin.
Had lunch at your fair restaraunt a few days ago... quite good. Some very
animated aviation talk going on to..... nice.

Witness a near disaster too.... That SX-300 was on very short final and a
couple in a Gulfstream American AA-5A (they're pictured below departing a
few moments later) taxied into position right in front of him. I know they
were both up on freq as I was listening to the SX report his positon as well
as the AA-5A acknowledge... that makes his decision to pull out in front of
the SX even more bizarre... the photo shows him heading towards the run-up
area... which only occurred after the SX pass very close overhead...
I caught the shot after he started his go around...

I then had to yell at an airport vehicle that was escorting a dump truck to
stop at the hold short line with an aircraft in the flair.... He was simply
going to cross without paying attention.....
all in 30 minutes.....

Glen in Orlando

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	go around (Custom).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	32995  Click image for larger version

Name:	runway intruder (Custom).jpg
Views:	60
Size:	144.0 KB
ID:	32996
Old February 26th 09, 05:28 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Orval Fairbairn[_2_]

In article om,
"Glen in Orlando" wrote:

[...]

I don't know the guys in the Grumman, but it seems that they had their
heads "up and locked."

Apparently, Steve (SX-300) was alert and went around. I would expect no
less from him.

Maybe I will see you tomorrow. If you want some really good shots, be
there at 8AM on Saturdays, for the Gaggle fly-out. I have the red
Johnson Rocket.

Old February 26th 09, 08:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Bob

On Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:12:30 -0500, "Glen in Orlando"
wrote:

[...]

A few years ago at an EAA fly-in at BVS (Skagit Regional) here in
Warshington State, we watched a light plane, not involved in the
flying activities, making an approach to runway 22, apparently
oblivious to the gaggle of Vans RVs taking off from same for a
formation fly-by.

It might have been because he had just noticed the gaggle of T-6s
rapidly filling his left window as they were making a fly-by on
intersecting runway 10.

He managed to squeak by in front of the Texans, applied (lots of)
power and went over the RVs, and disappeared to the south never to be
seen again (with the possible exception of the clean underwear aisle
of the local Wal-Mart), most likely feeling rather sheepish, and happy
to be alive...

I'd never make a good photojournalist - I watched through the
telephoto, but was too horrified at what I thought was about to happen
to actually press the shutter release.

Bob ^,,^