Let's Get Real Here.

Old August 26th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Default Let's Get Real Here.

Cessna Launches Light Sport Aircraft Program

Wichita, Kan., July 10, 2007 - Cessna Aircraft Company, a Textron Inc.
(NYSE:TXT) company, today announced it will proceed with its Light
Sport Aircraft (LSA) program and will unveil a full scale mock-up and
program details at the Experimental Aircraft Association's Air Venture
in Oshkosh, Wis., later this month.

"After conducting extensive market research, it is clear to us there
is a great need for this aircraft as we strive to drive down the cost
of flying and learning to fly," said Cessna Chairman, President and
CEO Jack J. Pelton. "We believe this aircraft will make a major
contribution to stimulating new pilot starts and will encourage
already-licensed pilots to continue to fly because it will be more
affordable.

"We have developed a business case that makes sense; we have
incorporated several innovative features into the design; and we
believe we can deliver the finest aircraft in the category, combined
with our extensive customer service, flight training and distribution
networks, at an attractive price," Pelton said.

Details of the program will be announced during the EAA show at a
press conference that will be held at the Air Venture Museum, Eagle
Hangar, on Sunday, July 22, at 8:30 a.m.

The company is also planning to conduct a ribbon cutting ceremony at
its aircraft exhibit at the show (Exhibit No. 143-156) on Monday, July
23, at 8:30 a.m., and will also hold a forum on the Cessna LSA program
the same day, from 1:00 to 2:15 p.m., at the Honda Forum, Pavilion 7.
EAA President Tom Poberezny, along with Pelton, will participate in
all three events.

Based on unit sales, Cessna Aircraft Company is the world's largest
manufacturer of general aviation airplanes. In 2006, Cessna delivered
1,239 aircraft, including 307 Citation business jets, and reported
revenues of about $4.2 billion and a backlog of $8.5 billion. Since
the company was originally established in 1927, more than 189,000
Cessna airplanes have been delivered to nearly every country in the
world. The global fleet of almost 5,000 Citations is the largest fleet
of business jets in the world. More information about Cessna Aircraft
Company is available at www.cessna.com."

My questions:

1. How much cheaper is this thing going to be to produce than a
Skyhawk? Look at it from two standpoints: labor and materials, and
from revenue per square foot of plant floor space.

2. Where are they going to make this thing?

3. The average person who can afford an airplane in America now
weighs upwards of 250 lbs and some top 300. Can two 300 pounders fly
this thing? I know CFIs who tell me they are starting Denny the
Dentist in Skylanes now because they are too fat to be comfortable in
the Skyhawk.

That's just a few. Others later.

Old August 26th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Vaughn Simon

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
ups.com...

1. How much cheaper is this thing going to be to produce than a
Skyhawk? ...
2. Where are they going to make this thing?

I think that we can safely leave #1 and #2 to Cessna management.

3. The average person who can afford an airplane in America now
weighs upwards of 250 lbs and some top 300.

To me, this is the real issue. The problem is not just with Cessna. other
2-seat LSAs also can't hold two real-world pilots.

Since the max 1320 pound gross weight maximum of the average LSA is set
more by the rule book than by engineering and physics, one must suspect that
these aircraft are being marketed with a wink. They are actually perfectly
capable of carrying more payload than they are certified for.

Can two 300 pounders fly this thing?

No, of course not.

Vaughn

Old August 26th 07, 04:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Bret Ludwig" wrote

3. The average person who can afford an airplane in America now
weighs upwards of 250 lbs and some top 300. Can two 300 pounders fly
this thing? I know CFIs who tell me they are starting Denny the
Dentist in Skylanes now because they are too fat to be comfortable in
the Skyhawk.

If they weigh that much, they need to go on an immediate diet, forget sport
planes, or take up mud bog racing instead of flying.

Get real. The person that weighs 250 pounds, is obese, unless they are very
tall. They need to worry about losing weight before they die, instead of
flying airplanes that are too small for them.
--
Jim in NC

Old August 26th 07, 05:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Aug 25, 6:43 pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:
Can two 300 pounders fly this thing?

A lot of them not for too long. Considering that obesity and heart
attacks.

Old August 26th 07, 07:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Roger (K8RI)

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 00:52:33 GMT, "Vaughn Simon"
wrote:

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
oups.com...

1. How much cheaper is this thing going to be to produce than a
Skyhawk? ...
2. Where are they going to make this thing?

I think that we can safely leave #1 and #2 to Cessna management.

3. The average person who can afford an airplane in America now
weighs upwards of 250 lbs and some top 300.

To me, this is the real issue. The problem is not just with Cessna. other
2-seat LSAs also can't hold two real-world pilots.

Since the max 1320 pound gross weight maximum of the average LSA is set
more by the rule book than by engineering and physics, one must suspect that
these aircraft are being marketed with a wink. They are actually perfectly
capable of carrying more payload than they are certified for.

Can two 300 pounders fly this thing?

Lordy, two 300 pounders in the front seats of a Cherokee would be too
much. What 4 passenger production GA plane could take two 300 pounder
in the front seats and not be out of CG?

Old August 26th 07, 01:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

wrote:

"Bret Ludwig" wrote in message
roups.com...

[...]

I'm guessing MAYBE a Navion.
But I'd want to check the POH carefully before trying it!
Old August 27th 07, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

On Aug 25, 11:36 pm, wrote:
On Aug 25, 6:43 pm, Bret Ludwig wrote:

Can two 300 pounders fly this thing?

A lot of them not for too long. Considering that obesity and heart
attacks.

Many fat people-really fat-live surprisingly long lives. Marlon
Brando was morbidly obese for 35 of his 80 years at least-the last
ones-and Al Goldstein is not dead yet. Yes, it shortens lifespan, but
moderately fat people can live sometimes what would be pretty much the
normal lifespan. And since when they go, they generally drop over
clean and die rather than lingering like Ronald reagan, which costs
millions of dollars in health care sometimes. That's why prison
systems feed cons all they want and give them their own cell if they
are over a certain weight. What better way to keep them immobile and
reduce overall costs?

Old August 27th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

On Aug 25, 10:16 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"Bret Ludwig" wrote

3. The average person who can afford an airplane in America now
weighs upwards of 250 lbs and some top 300. Can two 300 pounders fly
this thing? I know CFIs who tell me they are starting Denny the
Dentist in Skylanes now because they are too fat to be comfortable in
the Skyhawk.

If they weigh that much, they need to go on an immediate diet, forget sport
planes, or take up mud bog racing instead of flying.

Get real. The person that weighs 250 pounds, is obese, unless they are very
tall. They need to worry about losing weight before they die, instead of
flying airplanes that are too small for them.
--

Some people this heavy are not obese as muscular and huge, such as
football players. With exceptions such as "Refrigerator" Perry,

Old August 27th 07, 01:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Bret Ludwig

Can two 300 pounders fly this thing?

Lordy, two 300 pounders in the front seats of a Cherokee would be too
much. What 4 passenger production GA plane could take two 300 pounder
in the front seats and not be out of CG?

I'm guessing MAYBE a Navion.
But I'd want to check the POH carefully before trying it!

T-6,or any mil trainer besides maybe a old Ryan. Even a T-34 will
accomodate as heavy a pilot as will fit.

Old August 27th 07, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("john smith" wrote)
Look at Jay Honeck. The poor guy had to resort to eating fruit to afford
to pay for all that flying he was doing and upkeep on Atlas.

Have you seen the Allison brothers? They're skinny as rails. Poor Steve is
so thin from spending money to build his RV, and Jack bought into that
Arrow.

Then there is Ron Natalie. Three years ago, Ron was pretty big. They they
started on the Navion restoration project. Have you seen the poor guy? If
he turned sideways, all you would see is his hat.

....and then there's Montblack

Paul-Mont
(It was preemptive. g)

Is this for real!?!?!? Casey Wilson Piloting 4 May 13th 06 08:40 PM
FS: Real Bicycle Seats for Real People! [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 0 February 22nd 06 10:24 PM
Real or CGI? Flyingmonk Piloting 3 February 10th 06 12:30 AM
Real-time real world air traffic in flight sims Marty Ross Simulators 6 September 1st 03 04:13 AM