A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 15th 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

A couple questions.

I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance manual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual indicates using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing and aileron.

I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the right hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which shows using adhesive backed gap seal tape.

I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being replaced, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.

Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what width?

The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can apply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.

With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have to have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.

Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former owner had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper width was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper width.

Thanks

Eric

Ads
  #2  
Old May 15th 17, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew[_9_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 12:43:29 PM UTC+10, Eric Foertsch wrote:
A couple questions.

I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance manual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual indicates using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing and aileron.

I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the right hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which shows using adhesive backed gap seal tape.

I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being replaced, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.

Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what width?

The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can apply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.

With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have to have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.

Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former owner had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper width was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper width.

Thanks

Eric


Hi Eric,

Try this website, they sell the kits for different gliders
http://www.streifly.de/shop%20abdichtsaetze-e.htm

Andres
  #3  
Old May 15th 17, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 640
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Hi Eric,

Couple of thoughts. First, the best place to discuss LS-specific topics (such as what width of mylar to use) is probably the LS-Gliders discussion group over on Yahoo. Lots of knowledge, diagrams, photos, etc.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LS-gliders/info

As far as your specific question, I've done LS4's both ways. The maintenance manual calls for internal, rolling S-Seals. They're kind of a pain to do, but they are very effective. Many competition-tuned LS4s have these plus the external, mylar, wiper seals. IIRC, the for the last set of mylar wiper seals I did on an LS4 I think I used 35MM. Someone else posted the link to Streifeneder; probably worth contacting them to see what's in their LS4 kit.

Erik Mann (P3)
Former LS4 owner/LS8 onwer




On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:43:29 PM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
A couple questions.

I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance manual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual indicates using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing and aileron.

I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the right hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which shows using adhesive backed gap seal tape.

I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being replaced, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.

Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what width?

The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can apply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.

With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have to have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.

Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former owner had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper width was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper width.

Thanks

Eric


  #4  
Old May 15th 17, 04:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 122
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Don't mess about with seals. They can be fairly critical. Put in the
internal
aileron seals as they should be according to manufacturer. Just resealed
two
ls4s, only took two hours each to do re

The new manuals show very precise what needs to go where.

Eric

At 13:06 15 May 2017, Papa3 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Couple of thoughts. First, the best place to discuss LS-specific topics
(s=
uch as what width of mylar to use) is probably the LS-Gliders discussion
gr=
oup over on Yahoo. Lots of knowledge, diagrams, photos, etc. =20
=20
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LS-gliders/info

As far as your specific question, I've done LS4's both ways. The
maintena=
nce manual calls for internal, rolling S-Seals. They're kind of a pain

to
=
do, but they are very effective. Many competition-tuned LS4s have

these
=
plus the external, mylar, wiper seals. IIRC, the for the last set of
my=
lar wiper seals I did on an LS4 I think I used 35MM. Someone else

posted
=
the link to Streifeneder; probably worth contacting them to see what's

in
=
their LS4 kit. =20

Erik Mann (P3)
Former LS4 owne


On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:43:29 PM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
A couple questions.
=20
I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance

man=
ual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual
indicate=
s using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing
an=
d aileron.
=20
I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the

r=
ight hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which
sho=
ws using adhesive backed gap seal tape.
=20
I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being

replace=
d, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.
=20
Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what

width?=
=20
=20
The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can

a=
pply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.=20
=20
With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have

to=
have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.
=20
Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former

owne=
r had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper
w=
idth was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper
wi=
dth.
=20
Thanks
=20
Eric




  #5  
Old May 15th 17, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Thanks Andres
  #6  
Old May 15th 17, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Foertsch
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width


Thanks Erik
  #7  
Old May 15th 17, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 640
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Apparently this is an Eric(k) only thread :-)




On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 11:15:05 AM UTC-4, Eric Munk wrote:
Don't mess about with seals. They can be fairly critical. Put in the
internal
aileron seals as they should be according to manufacturer. Just resealed
two
ls4s, only took two hours each to do re

The new manuals show very precise what needs to go where.

Eric

At 13:06 15 May 2017, Papa3 wrote:
Hi Eric,

Couple of thoughts. First, the best place to discuss LS-specific topics
(s=
uch as what width of mylar to use) is probably the LS-Gliders discussion
gr=
oup over on Yahoo. Lots of knowledge, diagrams, photos, etc. =20
=20
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/LS-gliders/info

As far as your specific question, I've done LS4's both ways. The
maintena=
nce manual calls for internal, rolling S-Seals. They're kind of a pain

to
=
do, but they are very effective. Many competition-tuned LS4s have

these
=
plus the external, mylar, wiper seals. IIRC, the for the last set of
my=
lar wiper seals I did on an LS4 I think I used 35MM. Someone else

posted
=
the link to Streifeneder; probably worth contacting them to see what's

in
=
their LS4 kit. =20

Erik Mann (P3)
Former LS4 owne


On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 10:43:29 PM UTC-4, Eric Foertsch wrote:
A couple questions.
=20
I had ailerons removed for refinishing and now looking at maintenance

man=
ual to see what is needed for the gap seal. The maintenance manual
indicate=
s using double sided adhesive to glue non-adhesive gap seal between wing
an=
d aileron.
=20
I could have sworn though that the gap seal was installed more like the

r=
ight hand diagram at http://wingsandwheels.com/tapes-seals.html - which
sho=
ws using adhesive backed gap seal tape.
=20
I didn't see anything in glider log book about the gap seal being

replace=
d, so was wondering if the factory gap seal might have changed over time.
=20
Would it be OK to use the adhesive gap seal tape? And if so what

width?=
=20
=20
The advantage would be the ailerons can be put back on by A/P and I can

a=
pply the gap seal and Mylar seal myself at a later time.=20
=20
With the double sided adhesive/non-adhesive gap seal tape I would have

to=
have it at installed on wing before the ailerons get put back on.
=20
Also does anyone know the proper width of the mylar seal? The former

owne=
r had replaced the mylar seals and I just want to double check the proper
w=
idth was used. I could not find a reference in the manual for the proper
wi=
dth.
=20
Thanks
=20
Eric




  #8  
Old May 17th 17, 08:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Munk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 122
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

Had a look in the MM pp 4.5 and 4.6 (European manual). It specifically
states that operation without aileron gaps seals is not allowed.

Chapter 4.2.1 (internal seals) and 4.2.2 (external seals) describes in
great detail how to seal the ailerons according to manufacturer's specs.

If you have an LS 4 or LS 4-a then apart from applying the internal S-seals
(mandatory for all models) you will need at least upper aileron gap seals
Tesafix 4965 (12 mm wide) with mylar seal convex (30 mm wide) and tesafilm
white 4104 (19 mm wide). Optionally for LS 4 and LS 4-a, and mandatory for
LS 4-b is the additional application of teflon glass tape (38 mm wide)
underneath the above mentioned upper aileron gap seals.

Lower aileron gaps seals are not needed.

  #9  
Old May 18th 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
7C
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 33
Default LS4 aileron gap seal and mylar seal width

The new manuals from DG allow you to use teflon tape to provide the air seal with mylar running on top of it. I would recommend getting them and having a read as it has an accurate list of parts and good description on how to do it. You will probably want extra teflon tape as it's easy to get it wrong the first time...
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting gap seal ryanglover1969[_2_] Soaring 4 May 9th 10 07:18 PM
prop seal Jim Burns Owning 11 July 23rd 05 03:59 AM
Door seal?? Frode Berg Owning 1 June 14th 04 03:28 PM
Window seal Hankal Owning 1 December 22nd 03 12:33 AM
Crank Seal? Mark S Conway Owning 3 November 10th 03 04:29 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.