LX-20 Question

Old April 13th 04, 11:46 PM
Carl Buehler

Default LX-20 Question

Hello,

A member of our club who is from Germany is having trouble
getting his LXE-20 to communicate with a desktop and laptop computer.
I have tried to help but do not know much about the LX-20.

He bought his unit in Germany. And suspected it my be the serial port.
Is the serial port from europe different than our American serial port
computers?

Or could this be a software problem? He may have an older version of
software.
I forgot what the name of the software was, but LXE.exe comes to mind.
It almost reminds me of the old MS Dos days. We also have SeeYou
installed on this computer, But it is an older version 1.9?

Any help getting his logger to comunicate to a computer would be
appreciated.

Carl Buehler
Old April 14th 04, 03:20 AM
Chip Fitzpatrick

Check for a conflict for the serial port. Does he use a palm or other
hand held with a program such as Hotsync or Activesync?

I had to disable my palm Hotsync application to get my PC & laptop to
communicate with a colibri using LXE and have the same issue with my
laptop and LX7000.

Check the baud. I seem to recall it being 19.6k for the Colibri.

Chip F
Old April 14th 04, 06:36 AM
Bernhard Reinhardt

Chip Fitzpatrick wrote:

Check for a conflict for the serial port. Does he use a palm or other
hand held with a program such as Hotsync or Activesync?

I had to disable my palm Hotsync application to get my PC & laptop to
communicate with a colibri using LXE and have the same issue with my
laptop and LX7000.

Check the baud. I seem to recall it being 19.6k for the Colibri.

Serial Speed can be set in the config-menu of the LX-20.

Regards

Bernhard
Old April 14th 04, 06:45 AM
Bernhard Reinhardt

Carl Buehler wrote:

A member of our club who is from Germany is having trouble
getting his LXE-20 to communicate with a desktop and laptop computer.
I have tried to help but do not know much about the LX-20.

Or could this be a software problem? He may have an older version of
software.
I forgot what the name of the software was, but LXE.exe comes to mind.
It almost reminds me of the old MS Dos days.

I don=B4t know if there=B4s a different newer version of LXE but if IIRC =
we
used LXE (for MS-DOS) to read out one of our old LX400.

We also have SeeYou
installed on this computer, But it is an older version 1.9?

We don=B4t use SeeYou at our Club but readout our LX-20 with SeeYou last
summer when visiting another club. Can=B4t remember Version.

Any help getting his logger to comunicate to a computer would be
appreciated.

Why don=B4t you download the evaluation-version of StrePla (That=B4s the
progam we use - www.strepla.de). Should work for 30 days. At least you
could check wether it=B4s a hardwareproblem or not.

Best regards

Bernhard
Old April 14th 04, 06:55 AM
fw.unt

(Chip Fitzpatrick) wrote in message . com...
Check for a conflict for the serial port. Does he use a palm or other
hand held with a program such as Hotsync or Activesync?

I had to disable my palm Hotsync application to get my PC & laptop to
communicate with a colibri using LXE and have the same issue with my
laptop and LX7000.

Check the baud. I seem to recall it being 19.6k for the Colibri.

Chip F

Hi

Check the filser page
www.filser.de and download an older version of
the LXe. Unplug all stuff in the laptop (PCCards etc.). Use COM2 with
19200 and set in LXe fix baud rate.
Give another try to the old DOS program LXFAI and LXGPS. They work
very well in the dos booted system - if you have the correct settings.
I also see a difference between the old LX20 (massive box) and the new
alu box.
My LX20 works since 5 year with many systems - also a MAC with Virtual
PC and an USB2SERAIAL.

Hope this helps

FW.
Old April 14th 04, 09:37 AM
Tim Newport-Peace

In article , Carl
Buehler writes
Hello,

A member of our club who is from Germany is having trouble
getting his LXE-20 to communicate with a desktop and laptop computer.
I have tried to help but do not know much about the LX-20.

He bought his unit in Germany. And suspected it my be the serial port.
Is the serial port from europe different than our American serial port
computers?

No. they should all be to the same standard.

Problems can arise if you are using a USB/Serial Converter however.

Or could this be a software problem? He may have an older version of
software.

It could be, or it could be a cabling fault. What cable are you using?
You need to use either the two leads with small push-fit plugs (one for
power and one for data) or a special cable (a standard RS232 cable will
not do).

For cabling details look at
http://www.spsys.demon.co.uk/download.htn#LXN

This will give simple download instructions. Now click on the links
"Special Cable 3" and "but the cable is non-standard". This will give
you wiring diagrams of the two cable options.

Remember that you may need to select FAILOGGER from the LX20 menu and
press READ.

I forgot what the name of the software was, but LXE.exe comes to mind.
It almost reminds me of the old MS Dos days. We also have SeeYou
installed on this computer, But it is an older version 1.9?

Any help getting his logger to comunicate to a computer would be
appreciated.

Carl Buehler

If your cabling is correct, it may be that the COM port has been grabbed
by another program. What operating system are you using?

Check that there is not a baud rate conflict between the PC and the
LX20.

It is best to load the PC BEFORE connecting the Flight Recorder.

Good Luck,

Tim Newport-Peace

"Indecision is the Key to Flexibility."
Old April 14th 04, 01:00 PM
Bob Lepp

Maybe don't ignore the simplest cause, a broken cable, that happened
to my LX20, became a bit flakey, always thought it was software, then
I started wiggling the the cable at the connector, voila! success!

So do a quick continuity check to be sure.
Old April 14th 04, 03:12 PM
Bruce Greeff

Carl Buehler wrote:
Hello,

A member of our club who is from Germany is having trouble
getting his LXE-20 to communicate with a desktop and laptop computer.
I have tried to help but do not know much about the LX-20.

He bought his unit in Germany. And suspected it my be the serial port.
Is the serial port from europe different than our American serial port
computers?

Or could this be a software problem? He may have an older version of
software.
I forgot what the name of the software was, but LXE.exe comes to mind.
It almost reminds me of the old MS Dos days. We also have SeeYou
installed on this computer, But it is an older version 1.9?

Any help getting his logger to comunicate to a computer would be
appreciated.

Carl Buehler

N81 works.
Any baud rate you care to set, but the LX20 will only communicate at 19Kb/s.
Make sure your PC has booted completely and has no other device communicating
with the COM port you have selected.
When you load LXe or any other program for that matter, the LX20 does not
automatically communicate. (at least the older ones like mine do not)
You have to press the "read" button - or nothing happens...

Other than that, I have had success with LXE, TaskNAv and LXe. In general
WindowsXP seems to have many problems with serial ports, so that may be your
problem. We have some older software (machine diagnostics) that simply will not
work under XP.
Old April 14th 04, 11:38 PM
Carl Buehler

Thanks guy's for all of the reply's.

I have forwarded this info to my friend.
If he is at the airfield Saturday we will hook up the
LX-20 and give it another try. He wants to get the airport info in
for our area here in Central Florida, and upload a task or two that
we created in SeeYou and save as a LXE file format.

Carl