flight training - 100nm night flight requirement

Old May 8th 04, 01:28 AM
Jonathan

Default flight training - 100nm night flight requirement

Hi all,
I've been a long time lurker in these NGs, but until now I havent had any
great items to ask or discuss. But I know the how much knowledge is in
these groups, so here goes...

A friend of mine is going for his Private. one of the requirements (as I
fondly recall from my own training) is a Night Cross country flight greater
than 100nm.

Now, from the definitions, I see a cross-country flight "includes a point
of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50
nautical miles from the original point of departure."

This friend went for a night flight from ap "A" to ap "B", 61nm away.
Landed (stop and go?) and returned to ap "A". Total distance is 122nm

So, the question to the group is, does this satisfy the requirement of
61.109(a)(2)(i) "One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total
distance"?? (his instructor says yes, mine said no)

What do you all think?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Jonathan
(ASEL, IA)

(ps. go easy on me, Steven, it's my first time ;-) )

Old May 8th 04, 01:33 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jonathan wrote:

What do you all think?

Yes. It's clearly a cross-country flight and clearly over 100 miles total distance.

George Patterson
If you don't tell lies, you never have to remember what you said.
Old May 8th 04, 01:46 AM
JFLEISC

So, the question to the group is, does this satisfy the requirement of
61.109(a)(2)(i) "One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total
distance"?? (his instructor says yes, mine said no)

What do you all think?

Yup. My wife just did her night xcountry last week.

Jim
Old May 8th 04, 01:47 AM
Jonathan

I agree that it's all cross country time, and the round trip is 100.
So what then is the definition of a 'flight'. I think of a flight as a t/o
and landing. and a cross country flight should land at other than the
point of departure.

I guess I'm getting hung up on the requrement of "ONE cross country flight
over 100nm. I view his flight as TWO, 61nm cross country flights.

Old May 8th 04, 02:13 AM
Peter Duniho

"Jonathan" wrote in message
[...]
I guess I'm getting hung up on the requrement of "ONE cross country flight
over 100nm. I view his flight as TWO, 61nm cross country flights.

Funny thing about logging, you can call nearly anything you want a "flight".
Generally, words like "original point of departure" are used when the FAA
wants to make clear where one measures from.

Bottom line: even though there's a landing in the middle, the round-trip is
a single flight, as long as the pilot logging wants to call it a single
flight. He can even shut the plane down, go have some dinner, stay for a
week, whatever, if he really wants to.

Pete

Old May 8th 04, 03:10 AM
Teacherjh

a cross country flight is not over until you return home.

Nope.

Suppose I fly 200 nm and land, discover the paint on the aircraft is scratched,
and call the FBO to tell them the airplane is unflyable until it gets fixed. I
take the train home.

I log this as a cross country flight. The flight is over.

The FBO has one pilot fly another pilot over to the airplane, and then flies
back alone. She logs that as one or two flights. She might even log it as
part of a flight (if she's on the way somewhere else - her call). The other
pilot (the passenger) then inspects "my" airplane and determines that I'm a
wuss for being afraid to fly with a scratch in the paint, but the gash in the
wing needs some attention. The wing is replaced, and he flies the plane
another six hundred miles to get the new wing painted. This will take three
weeks, so he too takes the train home, logging it as one flight. He does three
weeks of flight instruction (seventy three flights) and then takes the train
back to the airplane to fly it home, but in that time the FBO folded and the
plane was sold to a chap in Duluth, four hundred twelve miles away.

He flies it to Duluth. The new owner flies him back to the airport where his
FBO once was (and hopefully his car still is) and then flies back to Duluth,
the new home of the airplane.

So, by your rule above, how many never-to-be-completed cross country flights is
this airplane still flying at the same time?

Jose

Old May 8th 04, 03:38 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jonathan wrote:

So what then is the definition of a 'flight'.

A flight is a trip by aircraft from a point of departure to a destination chosen by
the pilot. Any number of intermediate landings may be made along the way.

Old May 8th 04, 06:00 AM
BTIZ

it's not my rule... you can log it any way you want...

but for the purposes of satisfying cross country requirements to meet FAR
requirements for any rating... look up FAQ Part 61 and you will find an
example, where the long distance cross country for commercial rating
required 3 landings and 3 airports, So... a long 300nm flight with one fuel
stop and to wait for weather from Point A to Point B and to Point C this did
not meet the requirement.. as there were only two landings at B and C..
after conducting business for two days.. the pilot returns to Point C from
Point A. Non-stop This completed the cross country and met the requirements
of 3 airports and 3 landings at Point B, Point C, overnight and then Point A
on his return..

BT

"Teacherjh" wrote in message
[...]

Flight Simulator 2004 pro 4CDs, Eurowings 2004, Sea Plane Adventures, Concorde, HONG KONG 2004, World Airlines, other Addons, Sky Ranch, Jumbo 747, Greece 2000 [include El.Venizelos], Polynesia 2000, Real Airports, Private Wings, FLITESTAR V8.5 - JEP vvcd Home Built 0 September 22nd 04 07:16 PM
Spin Training Captain Wubba Piloting 25 April 12th 04 02:11 PM
I just read the AOPA ePilot Flight Training Edition -- Vol. 4, Issue 4 from Roger Bartholomee Piloting 29 February 27th 04 03:50 AM