DO YOUR CONTOL CHECKS!

Old April 4th 04, 12:10 AM
Stewart Kissel

Default DO YOUR CONTOL CHECKS!

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief2.asp?...0417&ntsbno=CH
I04CA090&akey=1

Old April 4th 04, 12:40 AM
Bruce Hoult

In article ,
Stewart Kissel wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief2.asp?...0417&ntsbno=CH
I04CA090&akey=1

That looks more like: "if the manufacturer issues an AD [1], you'd
probably better do it, whether you legally have to or not".

-- Bruce

[1] in this case, installing a locking device onto L'Hotellier
connectors.
Old April 4th 04, 09:58 PM
Martin Gregorie

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:40:06 +1200, Bruce Hoult
wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Kissel wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief2.asp?...0417&ntsbno=CH
I04CA090&akey=1

That looks more like: "if the manufacturer issues an AD [1], you'd
probably better do it, whether you legally have to or not".

-- Bruce

[1] in this case, installing a locking device onto L'Hotellier
connectors.

This is the subject of a BGA AD in 1993 for the ASW-20, so I don't see
where you get the "manufacturer AD" bit from, even though it does
appear in ASW-20 TN-17 on extending the service life beyond 3000
hours.

As the AD in question refers to the requirement for a locking pin in
the Hotellier, I'm a bit gobsmacked that these couplings could ever
have been used without a locking pin or shroud: there's no way you
could inspect the check hole after assembly (other than poking
something through it) on wing control circuits in the ASW-20 and other
gliders. Admittedly you can see the check hole for the elevator, but
that's the only one that is easy to check by inspection on a '20.

--
martin@ : Martin Gregorie
gregorie : Harlow, UK

Old April 4th 04, 10:46 PM
Bullwinkle

I saw this exact thing happen at Stennis field, Bay St Louis, MS, in the
early 80's. The pilot was the best at the field, at least he was the only
one who flew in competitions. He and his wife both flew ASW-20's.

He assembled one day, began his aerotow, nose went up like he was on a
winch/auto tow, and he released at perhaps 40 or 50 feet.

His wife's back was turned, as she gathered dolly, etc that needed to be
stowed. She missed the whole thing. I was sure I was watching a low level
stall/spin happening before my eyes.

Then the nose came down, then back up again, then down again, and at the
bottom of one of these oscillations his wheel touched down, he dumped the
flaps and he got on the brakes and stayed down. Stopped a couple of feet
from the airport fence.

Turns out his elevator hadn't been hooked up, or had popped off between
assembly and tow. He claimed that he had been able to control pitch with the
flaps, but I (personal opinion, no data to back this up) think he just got
incredibly lucky.

The best news: no damage to aircraft or pilot.

The absolute most amazing thing: He walked the -20 back to the launch point,
Inspected it for damage (found none), hooked up the elevator, and promptly
took off. I'd have been shaking for a week after a near miss like that, not
have taken off within 15 minutes.

Long way of saying that I agree: DO YOUR CONTROL CHECKS!

On 4/4/04 2:58 PM, in article ,
"Martin Gregorie" wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:40:06 +1200, Bruce Hoult

Old April 4th 04, 10:53 PM
ken ward

In article ,
Bruce Hoult wrote:

In article ,
Stewart Kissel wrote:

http://www.ntsb.gov/NTSB/brief2.asp?...0417&ntsbno=CH
I04CA090&akey=1

That looks more like: "if the manufacturer issues an AD [1], you'd
probably better do it, whether you legally have to or not".

-- Bruce

[1] in this case, installing a locking device onto L'Hotellier
connectors.

I'm really happy the pilot escaped death. This has been fatal in other
accidents.

1. So, assuming there was insurance, would this accident be covered? Or
would the insurer say:

a) you didn't put it together correctly; bad dog, no coverage
b) you didn't comply with the AD; bad dog, no coverage
c) both

2. Will the pilot then say, hey, what about my annual condition
inspection? How come the annual was signed off if the ship didn't
comply with an AD?

3. Then what happens when the mechanic says, gosh, the service I
contract with for AD updates didn't show this AD, so I didn't know to
look for it and would have not signed it off it had I known?

Inquiring minds want to know!
Old April 4th 04, 11:33 PM
goneill

I know of a case here in NZ exactly the same ,very high hours competition
pilot distracted during rigging, took off and released very quickly and
landed
straight ahead in a paddock using flaps only to control pitch.
The ASW20 seems relatively benign in this mode because I have heard of other
cases
I have an interest in this "because"
My ASW20 will be here soon ,Yippee!!!!
gary

"Martin Gregorie" wrote:

On Sun, 04 Apr 2004 11:40:06 +1200, Bruce Hoult

Old April 5th 04, 12:40 AM
Jeff Dorwart

OK, As far as AD's are concerned (in the US), An AD
does not apply to an aircraft with an experimental
airwothiness certificate (but is highly recommended),
unless that aircraft previously held a standard certificate.
The ASW-20 does not have a standard certificate so
there is no requirement to comply with this AD. HOWEVER
every IA has access to the FAA database (and you do
too at www.airweb.faa.gov). Is is a pretty simple
process to do a search for L'Hotlier and come up with
the ad I have copied an excerpt from below. Although the Owner/Operator has the perogative
to disreguard this AD as non-applicable, I as an A&P with an IA would be unwilling to sign an annual
without adding a dollar or two worth of safety pins. This being said, I don't recall in 26 years of
gliding any gliders with these connectors not being
equipped with safety pins (or Uerling sleeves more
recently) These devices do not solve the problem of inadequate
assembly or lack of positive control checks.'This AD applies to the L'Hotellier ball and swivel
joint quick connectors. This AD only applies to U.S.type-certifica
ted gliders and sailplanes that have the affected connectors
installed. If the L'Hotellier connectors are not installed
on a glider or sailplane, no action is required by
the owner/operator. This AD does not apply to gliders
and sailplanes that do not have a U.S. type certificate
(i.e., experimental category); however, the FAA strongly
recommends compliance with the intent of this AD for
airplanes involved in U.S. operation where a U.S. type
certificate is not necessary.'

Old April 5th 04, 04:42 AM
Tom Seim

1. So, assuming there was insurance, would this accident be covered? Or
would the insurer say:

a) you didn't put it together correctly; bad dog, no coverage
b) you didn't comply with the AD; bad dog, no coverage
c) both

You clearly don't know how insurance companies work. They will check
that the required parts of the policy have been complied with (annual
inspection, BFR, etc.). There is nothing in the policy (at least the
ones I have had) that require compliance with all ADs (the annual
inspection is supposed to take care of this). And there is also
nothing in the policy that negates coverage if miss an assembly step.
Read your policy: it is a contract that can't be added to (or
subtracted from) if and when there is a claim.

Tom Seim
Richland, WA
Old April 5th 04, 04:42 AM
Jeff Dorwart

There is no legal requirement to comply with the AD.
The insurance company may say that the owner/operator
did not practice due diligence by not complying with
the manufacturers recomendation but. I recall a PIK-20
that was destroyed by failure to connect the elevator
a number of years back. It was totaled and they replaced
it. Any insurance guys out there have an opinion on
this?

ELT Checks Kevin Chandler Owning 28 September 16th 10 02:47 PM
Formation flying Bingo Home Built 21 August 23rd 04 12:51 AM
~ 8 MORE DEAD US SOLDIERS - 93 IN APRIL SO FAR - BUSH CHECKS TURKEY MORRIS434 Military Aviation 0 April 22nd 04 09:44 AM
A couple Questions-Ramp Checks and Experimental Operations Badwater Bill Home Built 48 October 8th 03 09:11 PM
Flight Checks Mark Jackson Instrument Flight Rules 5 September 24th 03 06:39 PM