Garmin gpsmap 76s, glide ratio, airspace zone

Old April 6th 04, 06:02 PM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Default Garmin gpsmap 76s, glide ratio, airspace zone

Hi,
I'am not quite sure this is the right forum to post my question, let me try
(I also found some specific gps forums)

I just bought a garmin gpsmap 76s mainly for use in a glider (hence the post
in the current forum)

I wonder if someone has some experience with such device for two points.

First point: I bought it because it has interesting feature such as glide
ratio and glide ratio to target. The latter is perfect, but I found the
glide ratio function difficult to use or at least difficult to take
advantage of. The calculation seems to be done on instant value without any
"smoothing", as a glider moves a lot the result can vary from very low value
to glide ratio higher than 500!! within a couple of seconds. Have you
experienced such behavior? Is this a user error? A bug?

Second point: to draw airspace zone it seems possible to use waypoints and
routes. Do you know other possibilities? Using a mapsource format compatible
for instance

Thanks in advance for your answers
Gilles

Old April 7th 04, 01:13 PM
Jim Kelly

Hi Gilles,

I used a 76s for a while, a very nice handheld unit . . but I've
moved on to using an HP iPaq H5550 Pocket-PC with WinPilot. If
you're inclined towards computing, this will give you much more
satisfaction. You can still use the 76s as a GPS source, or sell it
and buy a 'mouse' gps with battery backup. The Garmin has lots of
user fields that are fun to play with for awhile, but it really is
very rigid in it's design. A great general purpose device for
someone shy of computers. Best thing about having a Pocket-PC is the
remarkable uses they offer every single day!

Cheers,

Jim Kelly

Old April 7th 04, 05:06 PM
Rory O'Conor

Gillie

Yes it is possible to create airspace maps for the
Garmin.
At least I have created UK airspace maps for the
Garmin 3+ which I can upload using Mapsource.

The tools used are listed in my files which are
available at
www.btinternet.com/~rory.oconor/
Include GPS Mapper and GPS Map Edit.

There are also other UK airspace products for the
Garmin.
I don’t know about your particular model.

Use my files with great caution!

Rory

Old April 9th 04, 03:20 PM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Hello Jim

Thanks for your input.
I have to tell I already looked at the association Pocket PC/Winpilot, I
understand the possibilities are huge so is the budget!

Hence the gpsmap 76s choice. As for my daily use I have a Palmpilot I will
probably go for soaringpilot, very nice piece of software well designed and
constantly updated and free!
But right know as I am definitely not an expert glider pilot, I just want an
easy device to use to help me in my navigation, I still think the gpsmap 76s
is a good choice. I am just looking for some improvements.
Regards
Gilles

message de ...

Old April 9th 04, 03:25 PM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Hello Rorie

Thanks for your input.

Sounds like it will take me some time to use the information you gave me.
The process to create a map does not seem to be a straight one
Regards
Gilles

message de ...

Old April 12th 04, 01:46 AM
DGRTEK

Gilles,
You made a great choice. I use the 76S in my 1-26 and bring it with me for
use in club ships. I recommend the Ram Mounts and especially the suction cup
for use in different ships or driving for that matter.

The glide ratio is a bit twitchy, but if you are on a straight run it gives you
a basic idea. I find I use the ground speed alot to judge the winds. The
simple arrow to home or your next waypoint is a great indicator

If you fly in two seaters, and the back seat is lacking instruments, it's a
great back up.

Lastly, I've had some contact with Garmins tech supports, and there were hints
of more soaring/hang gliding software updates to come.

Douglas

Old April 12th 04, 12:41 PM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Hi Douglas

I definitely think the product is worth the money. I asked Garmin about the
Glide Ratio function, I hope they can provide a fix. Nice to know that some
works are in progress for software related to our gliding activity.

Using some answers provided by different persons I am working on maps to get
SUA displayed on the unit, not an easy task but I hope to succeed, talented
people have developped very nice piece of software for free.

Gilles

Old April 12th 04, 06:27 PM
Kirk Stant

"Gilles_Sauvagnat" wrote in message ...
Hi Douglas

I definitely think the product is worth the money. I asked Garmin about the
Glide Ratio function, I hope they can provide a fix. Nice to know that some
works are in progress for software related to our gliding activity.

Using some answers provided by different persons I am working on maps to get
SUA displayed on the unit, not an easy task but I hope to succeed, talented
people have developped very nice piece of software for free.

Gilles

Gilles, I use a Garmin GPS 3 Pilot and also find the "glide ratio to
target" very useful. There are two minor problems with it (at least
on the 3P): It only displays a glide ratio when within 90 degrees of
the track to the target, which is a bother when thermalling or
searching for a thermal and not headed towards the target; and it if
using a user waypoint as the target, you must enter the arrival
altitude for every waypoint you select, instead of just using the
waypoint elevation, as can be set for an airport in the database.

I use it as a backup to my primary glide computer (an SN10); when I
see 25/1 I know I can run home at 100 knots!

Same problem with the jumpy glide angle, but with altitude being the
least accurate position in GPS, it's not too surprising. I don't find
instantaneous L/D very useful, anyway, since I prettymuch know what my
ship will average at various speeds. If it showed the average L/D
over the past 10 or 20 minutes, that might be useful.

Kirk
Old April 12th 04, 09:20 PM
Waduino

I recommend the Ram Mounts and especially the suction cup for use in
different ships or driving for that matter.

Curious. I have a GPS76S and plan to use it on club ships this season. I
wasn't sure about trying a mount. Does the suction cup thing work all right?
I wouldn't want it to come loose during flight. For this season it would
mostly be on a 2-33, 1-26, 1-34 etc.

Wad.

Old April 13th 04, 08:33 AM
Gilles_Sauvagnat

Hi Kirk,

The 76s works in a different way, the "Glide ratio to target" is displayed
whatever the direction you are going which is nice and safer.

Sounds like the behavior is different as well for waypoint elevation. I
loaded all my waypoints with their real elevations +300m (for security) so
the glide ratio to target is calculated using elevation+300m.

I still think that the instantaneous L/D would be very useful if smoothing
is integrated during calculation. We have to wait for Garmin developpers.
Regards

Gilles

om...