Great Visibility with iPAQ 3835

Old April 13th 04, 12:13 PM
Rich Kiray

Default Great Visibility with iPAQ 3835

From a visibility standpoint, I recommend the use of the older iPAQs
for use in the cockpit - strictly from a visibility standpoint. I'm
using an iPAQ3835 with a simple screen protector and no back lighting.
The display is quite easy to read, even with polarized sun glasses.
Old April 14th 04, 06:44 AM
Eric Greenwell

Paul Remde wrote:
Hi,

I agree. Some people prefer the 3800 in sunlight but when I held a 3800 and
3900 side by side in the sun they were very similar. I prefer the newer
models like the 3900 and 5000 series.

My Toshiba e800 is slightly brighter than my 3950, and the screen is larger.

Paul Remde

So, do you think the e800 has the best display for glider use?

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Old April 14th 04, 09:16 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

The simple answer is yes. When compared with the iPAQ 3950 the e800 screen
is only 1/8" taller, but it's 1/4" taller than the screen on an iPAQ 2200 or
Dell Axim X3 or X5. The large screen is very nice, but it is an incremental
difference only. I was happily surprised that the backlight was slightly
brighter than the one in my iPAQ 3950.

The only problem is that there are no cradles available for the Toshiba e800
that have a rugged connector. I sell iPAQ cradles from RAM that have a
rugged DB-9 connector on the bottom. I sell other RAM cradles that will
hold the e800 very nicely, but the e800 power/data connector will stick out
the bottom of the e800 and is easy to damage in a cramped glider.

Another cool feature of the e800 is the optional large battery. It is
expensive, but it is huge! That makes it the best (high end) system for a
portable solution. When using a CF card or SD card GPS you don't need a
power/data cable. I have an example system shown at:
http://www.cumlus-soaring.com/systems.htm

I'm waiting for my first e800 power/data cables to arrive from Goddard. I
will then test it with my 302A to verify that serial communication works
well. I don't foresee any issues.

I show example cradle and cable solutions for the e800 with many loggers in
the table on my Goddard page at:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/goddard.htm

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde