What can a PDA do for me?

Old April 14th 04, 02:51 PM
BJen

Default What can a PDA do for me?

I've got a late '80's model flight computer with an
integrated non-GPS final glide calculator and an IGC GPS
logger. I'm thinking about upgrade options to minimize the
mental workload for these items that I currently have
trouble with:

What's the current wind speed and direction?

What altitude do I need to final glide upwind to airport X
and turn back downwind to home at airport Y?

What airport is easiest to get to when I'm low given
different airport field elevations and current wind
direction.

When should I turn to get home 3 hours after I started this
task?

I'm not really sure what options I have. More generally,
I'm wondering what the PDA's can do. I presume they have no
airspeed/pitot input, no TE input and only GPS altitude.
Is that correct? Can they perform vario/TE/STF/final glide
functions?

I realize they can do GPS moving map, flight track
recording. I suspect they can figure wind from a circling
algorithm, but without TE or airspeed can they replace my
old flight computer? If not, can they supplement it (with
my GPS/pressure logger) so I can avoid the expense of a new
flight computer?

Anyone want to give me some comments here? Thanks.
Old April 14th 04, 03:02 PM
WilLiscomb

go to:
http://www.winpilot.com

williscomb

Old April 14th 04, 03:18 PM
Andrew Warbrick

Or go to:
http://www.seeyou.ws

At 14:12 14 April 2004, Williscomb wrote:
go to:
http://www.winpilot.com

williscomb

Old April 14th 04, 03:46 PM
BJen

I've been to both, but they are both trying to put the best
face on their products. No one says; We don't have any way
to connect to pitot, or TE probes, so the PDA does this or
can't do that. I see combinations of PDAs, varios, flight
computers, GPS units, IGC loggers, etc., but it's hard to
figure out what data they have coming in and what's doing
what.

Anyone else want to comment on the relationship between a
PDA vs a flight computer and what the PDA can do vs. what it
can't and why?

Or go to:
http://www.seeyou.ws

go to:
http://www.winpilot.com

Old April 14th 04, 04:32 PM
Jim Vincent

Go he

http://www.soarmn.com/cumulus/gn.htm

or he

www.soaringpilot.com

or he
http://www.ccsi.com/~inadas/

Jim Vincent
CFIG
N483SZ
illspam
Old April 14th 04, 04:45 PM
Brian Iten

As far as I am concerned, my PDA is my verification
for the math I am doing in my head. I use Glide Navigator
II software linked to my Cambridge Model 20 and GPS-Nav
display. The PDA acts like a moving map and will give
you pretty close to exact distances to turnpoints,
airports and so on. It also tells me if I am with in
final glide to a safe landing area. It also comes in
handy while in thermals as it shows x's every few seconds
which can help you stay in a thermal or other forms
of lift.
Granted, I have a great deal of respect for the pilots
who were competing pre PDA's. The work loads during
a contest must have been insane at times.....
Also, the PDA is only as good as the equipment and
software you are using so do a lot of research. It
is also best to download as many of the programs to
demo them as possible. I also recommend speaking with
other pilots in your group about what they are using
and the pro's and con's that they have come across.
Best of luck,
Brian
17

Old April 14th 04, 05:00 PM
303pilot

The one I've been using for a few years, CEGlide, can do all but the TAT
optimization--your last question. It may be able to do that w/the upgrade
now available, dunno.

I've found the final glide STF to be amazingly accurate, even w/out TE
input.

I'd recommend adding a handheld to your existing set-up for all the reasons
you mention.

Brent

Old April 14th 04, 05:29 PM
Henryk Birecki

What a PDA can do for you depends on how you interact with a computer.
Every program you would get will get you the necessary basic
information, so the most important part for you is the user interface.
You need to make your own decisions based on trying (or at least
looking at a program). A good place to start is
http://www.soaringpilotsoftware.com look for the GPS_LOG WinCE (it is
free) program, download version that runs on a PC and play with it to
see what it can do for you (oh and yes..., bring your brain with you
)
Remember also that PC user interface is always a different from that
on a PDA.

Henryk Birecki

Old April 14th 04, 05:49 PM
Hans L. Trautenberg

It will kill you, if it requires to much attention to operate.

So carefully think about the features you need and then get one that
requires no attention during flight and that has an audio output.

Best Regards

Hans
Old April 14th 04, 09:02 PM
Paul Remde

Hi,

I created a spreadsheet comparing several soaring flight computer and
software systems. I also created a presentation comparing soaring software
and flight computer systems. They are available as links on my Cumulus
homepage at: http://www.cumulus-soaring.com

My presentation segments the soaring instrument market into low cost (PDA
with GPS), medium cost (IGC Approved GPS/Logger), and high cost
(GPS/Logger/Vario/Speed-to-fly).

I put a lot of work into them. If you appreciate it, please consider buying
from me.

I sell Glide Navigator II and pocket*StrePla programs for Pocket PCs. They
are both very nice in their own way. I also sell Cambridge products.

I'll have to look into what pocket*StrePla offers in regard to using data
from a vario or GPS. Glide Navigator II can use wind data from either a
GPS-NAV/L-NAV combination or a 302. It uses the airspeed data for more
accurate wind information. It uses the pressure altitude data for accurate
altitude information.

All soaring Pocket PC software programs can calculate wind speed while
circling.

I'm pretty sure they can all calculate final glide around multiple
turnpoints - taking wind speed and direction into account.

I believe pocket*StrePla, SeeYou Mobile and WinPilot can display average
vario readings from some varios such as the Cambridge 302.

Another resource for example systems is my "Example Systems" page at:
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/systems.htm

I hope the data is helpful.

Good Soaring,

Paul Remde