Watch out the brits are coming

Old May 25th 04, 10:49 AM
NigelPocock

Default Watch out the brits are coming

Last weekend the British Club Class team flew a 720km flight. In standard
Cirruses! In the UK!!!
Look out for then in the worlds next month
Nigel
Old May 25th 04, 01:13 PM
Bruce Greeff

NigelPocock wrote:
Last weekend the British Club Class team flew a 720km flight. In standard
Cirruses! In the UK!!!
Look out for then in the worlds next month
Nigel

Been done with my Std Cirrus, by previous owners. The current 750Km Standard
class triangle record in South Africa is still in the name of our club founder
in a Std Cirrus.(Only 106.7Km/h though)

Now, when I have done 700+ Km (in my Cirrus) I might have something to crow about...

Good to hear of great exploits in aircraft like this - helps to dispel the myth
that you need infinite span and budget. (Occasionally accompanied by
commensurate ego)
Old May 25th 04, 05:47 PM
Rory O'Conor

Last weekend the British Club Class team flew a
720km flight. In standard
Cirruses! In the UK!!!

My previous comment re publicising the achievements on
the UK ladder site apply, (unless a team has only one
member). I am also aware of at least a local 750km and
500km which have not been submitted.

Having spent many months, deleting emails entitled
"why soaring is declining" we have a day/weekend with
zillions of achievements.

We should be (a) ensuring that we record them all (ie
on the ladder site) and (b) using the collective
achievement as material for publicity. We need to make
the most of this weekend.

Maybe we can get some headline like "twice round the
world by UK glider pilots in one day" (may be
factually incorrect - although more correct than the
recent altitude record).

I will try to kick my local colleagues at Sutton Bank
to submit their flights.

Thanks to Weatherjack for the forewarning.

Rory

Old May 25th 04, 06:12 PM
tango4

Bruce you missed the point! This all took place in the UK. 750km is a
massive achievement over here. In a Standard Cirrus...... well suffice to
say that it's a bit like watching Ernie at the golf. Yes he's playing golf
but he's just in a different dimension to the rest of us in terms of
ability.

The three pilots deserve the recognition for their flights ( in spite of
them being snot nosed, irreverent, young whippersnappers with no regard for
their elders, bent on doing illegal beat-ups at every opportunity :-) )

Thats not to mention the 987 km done in a Ventus 2 this weekend, another
massive achievement for the UK. ( It's hard enough to fit the task into the
airspace, let alone fly the damn thing! )

Ian

Old May 25th 04, 07:45 PM
Diederik

Duh! The dutch are comming! Last Sunday Ronald Termaat flew a 1010km
Taking of at Terlet (Netherlands) see the onlincontest :-)
( http://www.onlinecontest.de/olcphp/2...c8e0f1f6b6c232)

Diederik

Old May 25th 04, 08:16 PM
Bruce Greeff

NigelPocock wrote:

Last weekend the British Club Class team flew a 720km flight. In

standard

Cirruses! In the UK!!!
Look out for then in the worlds next month
Nigel

Been done with my Std Cirrus, by previous owners. The current 750Km

Standard

class triangle record in South Africa is still in the name of our club

founder

in a Std Cirrus.(Only 106.7Km/h though)

Now, when I have done 700+ Km (in my Cirrus) I might have something to

crow about...

Good to hear of great exploits in aircraft like this - helps to dispel the

myth

that you need infinite span and budget. (Occasionally accompanied by
commensurate ego)

Hi Ian

I'm just jealous - we have had a lousy season here and the winter is early, with
lots of stable air. Last two times at the airfield I could not stay airborne
longer than 30 minutes. It's enough to make me WANT to visit the UK. :-O

As I said , when I have done something equivalent I will be able to talk. Anyone
who can do that kind of distance has my respect, in a 35 year old design it is
even better. Threading it through your airspace and urban sprawl is quite
something.

As for Dieter's 750km, you should not discount the achievement. Was done before
GPS,or Cell phones and over some countryside here an outlanding would have been
a big event.
Old May 25th 04, 10:22 PM
OscarCVox

Duh! The dutch are comming! Last Sunday Ronald Termaat flew a 1010km

Well done! On mainland europe in the latest 18m ship maybe, but well done.

Have you noticed how the bar has suddenly been raised over the last year or so
and people are attempting longer and longer flights. It cant be just due to
global warming.

Incidentally the Brit std ciruses were flying in Club Class trim, ie without
water
Old May 26th 04, 07:05 AM
Kirk Stant

Awesome flying! I sure wish there was a way to combine our Arizona
thermals with the long flying days you have in Europe during the
summer - it would make for some incredible flights.

The bar is definitely being raised. As it should be.

Launch the fleet!

Kirk
Old June 1st 04, 02:13 AM
G.Kurek

Guys in Poland are not sleeping either,
May 29th from Olsztyn - northeast of Poland:

758 KM flying SZD 55-1 Promyk
730 KM on Jantar std.2
and 680 KM flying Jantar std.3

That's flying out of one club only, I'm sure there were more...

Looking for a watch... Darrel Toepfer Rotorcraft 1 November 8th 04 09:42 PM
Was the EFA coalition a mistake for the Brits? John Cook Military Aviation 10 August 27th 04 08:03 PM
Ideal watch? Brinks Owning 45 December 24th 03 03:00 PM
Where can I watch planes? (Northern NJ) TeleTechnician General Aviation 6 November 21st 03 03:09 AM