inexpensive headsets

Old March 22nd 05, 12:59 AM
Randy

Default inexpensive headsets

I bought a pair of those "Why pay more" headsets offered in the back
pages of AOPA and Flying about 10 years ago. They're still working
fine and are perfect for the occasional passengers in the back seat.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:15 AM
mindenpilot

"Jimmy B." wrote in message
ink.net...
I only occasionally take passengers. It just seems that my schedule and
the schedules of people I know just don't mesh very well.

Having said that, I do occasionally have passengers with me. As such, I
am looking to buy a couple inexpensive headsets.

It seems that the Marv Golden headsets are the least expensive. Anyone
have any reports on these things? Do they stand up to the test of time?
Do they work well?

Aside from the Golden sets, what are the other good, inexpensive headsets?

TIA

I made a PIREP last week in rec.aviation.marketplace about those cheap
"feather lite" headsets on ebay. I liked 'em so much I bought a second one.
They're cheap and work well.

Adam
N7966L
Beech Super III

Old March 22nd 05, 10:57 AM
Slick

For about $75 you can get a set of AvComm's off ebay brand new. I have two
sets. These things even work great for regular use.

Old March 22nd 05, 03:27 PM
Toly

Try Telex Echelon 100. I got it for $100 (don't remember where but if
you shop around online you should be able to find it at that price). I
haven't used them myself, but all my pax find them comfortable and
quiet.

-Toly.

Old March 22nd 05, 04:37 PM
John Clear

In article . net,
Jimmy B. wrote:
I only occasionally take passengers. It just seems that my schedule and
the schedules of people I know just don't mesh very well.

Having said that, I do occasionally have passengers with me. As such, I
am looking to buy a couple inexpensive headsets.

It seems that the Marv Golden headsets are the least expensive. Anyone
have any reports on these things? Do they stand up to the test of time?
Do they work well?

I got some of the Marv Golden cheap headsets during training years
ago, and have been using them as passenger headsets since getting
a set of DCs.

No problems, and I don't treat them nice. They spend most of their
time tossed in my flight bag and left in the trunk. Not a bad deal
for $80.

John
--
John Clear - http://www.clear-prop.org/

Old March 22nd 05, 05:40 PM
Paul kgyy

Avoid the "in the ear" types. They can transfer ear infections.

Old March 22nd 05, 07:47 PM

Jimmy B. wrote:
I only occasionally take passengers. It just seems that my schedule

and
the schedules of people I know just don't mesh very well.

Having said that, I do occasionally have passengers with me. As

such, I
am looking to buy a couple inexpensive headsets.

It seems that the Marv Golden headsets are the least expensive.

Anyone
have any reports on these things? Do they stand up to the test of

time?
Do they work well?

Aside from the Golden sets, what are the other good, inexpensive

headsets?

I originally went with the low end Flightcom headsets (4DX?), but
didn't have much luck with them. They were constantly getting loose
connections and having to be sent back. I switched over to Softcomm
headsets and they've performed perfectly for nearly 10 years. Their
low end C-40 and C-45 headsets are under $100.

http://www.softcommheadsets.com/avia.../headsets.html

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old March 22nd 05, 07:58 PM
W P Dixon

Definitely check on ebay , I got a nice set of used AvCom for 40 bucks. They
work fantastic, and I did not have to mortgage the house to pay for them.
Fellow had bought them new for his passengers but decided to sell them
because he did not fly with anyone much. So the headset was hardly used,
looks brand new.

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

Old March 22nd 05, 08:35 PM
RST Engineering

I can't remember their name {;-) but there is this little mom'n'pop
avionics manufacturing place in Grass Valley that has what they call the
"kiddie" headset for $74. It comes in blue, grey, violet, and fuschia(sp).
The bad news is that it is a kit that you have to put together. The good
news is that it is a kit that you have to put together. You are the total
quality control of the product. If it ever craps out, you also know where
all the parts are and where to buy them.

But I can't remember their name for the life of me {;-0

Jim

Old March 23rd 05, 12:03 AM
Jimbob

May I also point out that one of the ebay advertisers has a website at
http://www.findsonline.net that you can order the ebay price on a
daily basis. I got a nice avcomm 900 for about $132 shipped with gel
ears and flexible boom. Really nice unit. You can also get the 200
for around $80 or so. Just tell them you want the ebay price.

Not affiliated with them, just a happy customer.

Jim

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 05:57:03 -0500, "Slick" wrote:

For about $75 you can get a set of AvComm's off ebay brand new. I have two
sets. These things even work great for regular use.
link.net...