Getting confused with ATC order...Violation?

Old April 4th 08, 01:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
RubberWatch

Default Getting confused with ATC order...Violation?

Hello-

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he said 110 and I flew on
that heading. He then told me it looks like your going the wrong
direction i need you to fly 210. I got a bit locked up and said 210.
I ended up on 210 but I really kinda got "mike fright".

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this would constitute a violation and
if I might receive something in the mail, etc? He later told me to
"resume own navigaion" and I did not know what that meant...I asked
him if I could do my airwork and he said resume on navigation meant I
can do anything I want.

He did not ask me to call a land line or anything like that, though
when I requested to change to my CTAF as I had the airport in site, he
said frequency change approved and squalk VFR when I am on the ground.

Any thoughts?
SD
Old April 4th 08, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

RubberWatch wrote:
[...]

Yes. If you are directed by ATC to do something and you screw it up,
don't panic or get mike fright. The world won't come to an end; trust me.
Two things might happen. You will either be told of the error by ATC and
asked to correct it as you were here, or you yourself will notice the
error. Either way, key the mike, acknowledge the mistake openly and in a
professional manner and follow as ATC from that point directs.

The main thing to remember when dealing with ATC is that their prime
concern is your safety and the safety of other traffic. Nither you OR
ATC are perfect and mistakes will happen. What's important is that any
and all mistakes are corrected. It's not a blame game. It's a safety
game, and the trick is to minimize the mistakes.
By acknowledging a mistake with ATC you are helping them help you.
Believe me, they are not out there to write you up or diminish you in
any way.
Shoot straight with ATC all the time.....EVERY TIME!

--
Dudley Henriques
Old April 4th 08, 01:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

On Apr 3, 8:01 pm, RubberWatch wrote:
Hello-

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he said 110 and I flew on
that heading. He then told me it looks like your going the wrong
direction i need you to fly 210. I got a bit locked up and said 210.
I ended up on 210 but I really kinda got "mike fright".

A couple of questions first...

Did you announce you were a student pilot?
Which ATC were you talking to? (A tower? Class B?)

Dan Mc
Old April 4th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

RubberWatch wrote:
Hello-

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he said 110 and I flew on
that heading. He then told me it looks like your going the wrong
direction i need you to fly 210. I got a bit locked up and said 210.
I ended up on 210 but I really kinda got "mike fright".

**** happens.

You should read back instructions to avoid this, Cessna 12A, heading 110,
so unless ATC is asleep you either hear nothing back or you get corrected.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this would constitute a violation and
if I might receive something in the mail, etc? He later told me to
"resume own navigaion" and I did not know what that meant...I asked
him if I could do my airwork and he said resume on navigation meant I
can do anything I want.

Hardly a violation unless you flew into class B or some other airspace
you weren't cleared for.

The phrase "resume own navigation" means exactly that, go where you think
you should go, ATC is no longer giving you vectors.

He did not ask me to call a land line or anything like that, though
when I requested to change to my CTAF as I had the airport in site, he
said frequency change approved and squalk VFR when I am on the ground.

Normally, when the airport is in sight, you say that to ATC. They then
terminate flight following and tell you when (usually immediately)
when to switch to 1200.

If you are a LONG way out and just want to check CTAF for what's going
on, say that explicitly, as in something like, Cessna 12A, change to
Unicom, desire to maintain flight following until closer.

Switch back to ATC and tell them you are back.

Hopefully you append "student pilot" to the end of your initial request
and on each switch to a new controller. They then talk slower and
are more patient with you.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 4th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation,student
Larry Dighera

On Thu, 3 Apr 2008 17:01:21 -0700 (PDT), RubberWatch
wrote:

Hello-

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210.

What class of airspace were you in at the time?

I thought he said 110 and I flew on that heading. He then told me it
looks like your going the wrong direction i need you to fly 210.

At this stage in your training, you might want to consider informing
the controller on initial call-up, that you are a student. But it
sounds like no paint was swapped, and everything worked out.

I got a bit locked up and said 210.
I ended up on 210 but I really kinda got "mike fright".

The surest cure for radio communications uneasiness is a copy of Bob
Gardner's "Say Again, Please":
http://www.asa2fly.com/Communication..._product1.aspx

Once you know what to expect and what is expected, you'll be more
comfortable.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if this would constitute a violation and
if I might receive something in the mail, etc?

Only the controller knows for sure. :-)

The clock is ticking.

It won't hurt you become familiar with how to file an ASRS form:
http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/report/electronic.html

http://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/overview/briefing/br_6.html
The Immunity Concept

(FAA Advisory Circular AC No. 00-46D)

c. The filing of a report with NASA concerning an incident or
occurrence involving a violation of 49 U.S.C. Subtitle IV, or the
FAR, is considered by FAA to be indicative of a constructive
attitude. Such an attitude will tend to prevent future violations.
Accordingly, although a finding of a violation may be made,
neither a civil penalty nor certificate suspension will be imposed
if:

The violation was inadvertent and not deliberate;

The violation did not involve a criminal offense, or accident, or
action under 49U.S.C. Section 44709 which discloses a lack of
qualification or competency, which are wholly excluded from this
policy:

The person has not been found in any prior FAA enforcement action
to have committed a violation of 49 U.S. C. Subtitle VIII, or any
regulation promulgated there for a period of 5 years prior to the
date of the occurrence; and

The person proves that, within 10 days after the violation, he or
she completed and delivered or mailed a written report of the
incident or occurrence to NASA under ASRS. See paragraphs 5c and
7b. NOTE: Paragraph 9 does not apply to air traffic controllers.

He later told me to
"resume own navigaion" and I did not know what that meant...I asked
him if I could do my airwork and he said resume on navigation meant I
can do anything I want.

ATC phraseology is standardized. A competent airman uses standard
terms when communicating with ATC. You'll find it all he
http://www.faa.gov/airports_airtraff.../PCG/index.htm

That said, you did good asking the controller for clarification.
Never be afraid to query the controller about any possible
misunderstanding.

He did not ask me to call a land line or anything like that, though
when I requested to change to my CTAF as I had the airport in site, he
said frequency change approved and squalk VFR when I am on the ground.

Any thoughts?
SD

Your instructor will be impressed when you tell him you filed a NASA
form and now know how to communicate with ATC in standard phraseology.

[rec.aviation.student added]
Old April 4th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

RubberWatch writes:

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he said 110 and I flew on
that heading.

Did you read back the heading? If you read back 110 and he said nothing,
you're okay, since he should have corrected you. If you read back 210 and
then flew 110, that's potentially a problem (although probably not in this
case, since you fixed it). If you didn't read back the heading, that also can
potentially be a problem because the burden is upon you to fly the correct
heading if you didn't read it back.
Old April 4th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 04 Apr 2008 03:51:30 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote:

If you read back 110 and he said nothing,
you're okay, since he should have corrected you.

As I recall, several years ago the FAA changed their policy, and
removed the controller from culpability in the event the pilot's
read-back was incorrect.

Old April 4th 08, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
RubberWatch writes:

I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and was instructed
by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he said 110 and I flew on
that heading.

Did you read back the heading? If you read back 110 and he said nothing,
you're okay, since he should have corrected you.

Bull****, he's okay anyway.

STFU, you're wrong as usual.

Old April 4th 08, 03:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Fry

"RW" == RubberWatch writes:

RW Hello- I am a student pilot. I was out flying solo today and
RW was instructed by ATC to fly a heading of 210. I thought he
RW said 110 and I flew on that heading. He then told me it looks
RW like your going the wrong direction i need you to fly 210. I
RW got a bit locked up and said 210. I ended up on 210 but I
RW really kinda got "mike fright".

RW Anyway, I just wanted to know if this would constitute a
RW violation

No, don't worry about it.

RW and if I might receive something in the mail, etc?
No.
RW He later told me to "resume own navigaion" and I did not know
RW what that meant...I asked him if I could do my airwork and he
RW said resume on navigation meant I can do anything I want.

Have your instructor explain some of the common phrases used by ATC.
This is very common and is usually used when you are flying towards a
destination that you've told ATC about; they vector you a bit to avoid
traffic; then tell you "resume own navigation" which means return to
flying towards your destination.

RW He did not ask me to call a land line or anything like that,
RW though when I requested to change to my CTAF as I had the
RW airport in site, he said frequency change approved and squalk
RW VFR when I am on the ground.

I am pretty sure he said and meant "frequency change approved, squawk
VFR" when means change to whatever frequency you want (destination
airport CTAF, AWOS or ATIS) and change your squawk code from what you
were assigned to 1200. Don't wait 'till your on the ground to do this.
--
If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of
danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes,