A request from Gordon ....

Old April 2nd 05, 10:33 AM
Dave Kearton

Default A request from Gordon ....

Got a request from Gordon P this afternoon.....

Do any of the naval aviation community recall any details of the safety
video featuring a line of final checkers who were killed by a loose arrestor
cable ? Apparently the last man in line managed to jump at just the
right time and avoided the wire.

I personally remember reading about this incident in 1970, so I imagine it
would have happened in the mid-60s

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old April 3rd 05, 03:57 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Dave Kearton wrote:
Got a request from Gordon P this afternoon.....

Do any of the naval aviation community recall any details of the safety
video featuring a line of final checkers who were killed by a loose arrestor
cable ? Apparently the last man in line managed to jump at just the
right time and avoided the wire.

I personally remember reading about this incident in 1970, so I imagine it
would have happened in the mid-60s

It was a Whale landing...right?
Old April 3rd 05, 10:54 PM
Dave Kearton

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
news:1112540057.4c2201d4fe5127f81ee5c315864b6372@t eranews
| Dave Kearton wrote:
|| Got a request from Gordon P this afternoon.....
|| Do any of the naval aviation community recall any details of the
|| safety video featuring a line of final checkers who were killed by a
|| loose arrestor cable ? Apparently the last man in line
|| managed to jump at just the right time and avoided the wire.
|| I personally remember reading about this incident in 1970, so I
|| imagine it would have happened in the mid-60s
| It was a Whale landing...right?

From what I've been told, however details of the CV and dates etc would be
nice.

--

Cheers

Dave Kearton

Old August 17th 05, 03:56 AM
Rick

Believe it was the Conny in around '66-'67. I had a friend aboard at the
time.

Rick
P5M (SP-5)/E2C

Old August 22nd 05, 11:27 PM
Don McIntyre

Is that the video they used to show during safety stand downs? I
remember seeing that and the JFK fire videos (well, they were on 16mm
film when I saw them). Can't forget "The Man from LOX."

Don McIntyre
Clarksville, TN

Old August 23rd 05, 03:30 AM

That's exactly the one - and yer right, "Man from LOX" still gives me
shivers, too.

v/r
Gordon
"These are your brains. These are your brains blown 200' in the sky by
spilling a bit of LOX."

Old August 23rd 05, 12:38 PM
Peter Skelton

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 08:31:45 GMT, Dave in San Diego
wrote:

"Dave Kearton" wrote in
:

"Dave in San Diego" wrote in message

| wrote in news:1124764233.956925.26320
| @g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:
|
|| That's exactly the one - and yer right, "Man from LOX" still gives me
|| shivers, too.
|| v/r
|| Gordon
|| "These are your brains. These are your brains blown 200' in the sky
|| by spilling a bit of LOX."
|
| I used to get to show that once a month for an O2 safety lesson. The
| barf board got at least one hit about every other class. Got 4 or 5
| hits from a particularly noteworthy class. If I never see it again it
| will be way too soon.
|
| Dave in San Diego

For the rest of us, not privvy to USN safety footage, what happens ?

Ahhh..... Well, the first 90% of the movie is done in a humourous
vein, with some well proportioned, scantily clad young ladies playing a
significant role. A recently removed and ignited bra is dropped into a
puddle of LOX and immediately goes up in a large ball of fire. The line
"I gotta get this LOX cart back or the Safety Officer's gonna have my
ass" is uttered 2 or 3 times by said ladies in different situations,
adding to the humour.

This is all a setup for the final minute, when we get to observe a still
breathing alleged victim of a LOX fed fire, lying on a gurney at the ER.
An incredibly gruesome picture - just a bunch of red burnt flesh with no
hair or facial features.

I thought that stuff was for lighting BBQ's

http://web.archive.org/web/200106021...ue.edu/%7Eghg/

Peter Skelton