Washing a fiberglass airplane

Old May 19th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Washing a fiberglass airplane

Hi all,

After a year of heavy use, including multiple applications of that nasty
orange deicing fluid, my Diamond Start is dirty is hell. Technically it is
not even white anymore. I want to give it a wash for the first time, but I
want to do it properly.

Our airport has a wash station with water hoses etc. but I guess I need to
apply some "shampoo" on it first. I know I need to use silicone- and
oil-free substances, but what kind, and how do I use them exactly?

If someone could describe how they wash their plastic airplanes in detail, I
would appreciate it greatly.

-- City Dweller

Old May 19th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

City Dweller wrote:
Hi all,

After a year of heavy use, including multiple applications of that nasty
orange deicing fluid, my Diamond Start is dirty is hell. Technically it is
not even white anymore. I want to give it a wash for the first time, but I
want to do it properly.

Does Diamond have any suggestions on how to care for their finish?
Old May 19th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Auto or boat shampoos will do the job just fine... There is no
difference between the finish on your Diamond and that on a Corvette or
a Bayliner - or a multimillion dollar Berger yacht, for that matter...
So go to your local auto store or to West Marine, etc., and look at the
paint care products... As long as no silicone is in the contents
listing you are good to go...
Now, if you want my long time (50+ years) tested system, LUX dish soap
for the wash job and for the shine the auto Meguirs 1-2-3step system
will work like gangbusters...
(it used to be Turtle wax or Blue Coral 50 years ago but the Meguirs
system is an improvment - and you probably won't need to use Meguirs
step #1 for a year old Diamond)

Actually, shopping on line is easy, informative, and you just wait for
it to show up at your door...

denny

Old May 19th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

I agree with Denny, with one additional point.

Before trying this on your aircraft, you should practice
a few times, or at least once, on some else's airplane.

I just happend to have a very dirty 1964 Piper Aztec
that I'd be happy to let you practice on, as many times
as you'd like, free of charge. :-)

Ronnie

ups.com...

Old May 19th 06, 05:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning

On 05/19/06 08:58, Ronnie wrote:
I agree with Denny, with one additional point.

Before trying this on your aircraft, you should practice
a few times, or at least once, on some else's airplane.

I just happend to have a very dirty 1964 Piper Aztec
that I'd be happy to let you practice on, as many times
as you'd like, free of charge. :-)

Come on ... don't give it away. Have him bring a case of beer at least

;-)

Ronnie

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old May 22nd 06, 02:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

"City Dweller" wrote in message
Hi all,

After a year of heavy use, including multiple applications of that nasty
orange deicing fluid, my Diamond Start is dirty is hell. Technically it is
not even white anymore. I want to give it a wash for the first time, but I
want to do it properly.

I think that you have already gotten some pretty good advice right here,
but you could always go to rec.aviation.soaring and ask the folks who have been
nursing the finishes on fiberglass aircraft for decades now.

Vaughn