Investigators Say Student Pilots Should Be Flagged

Old July 19th 07, 06:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Andy Hawkins

Default Investigators Say Student Pilots Should Be Flagged

Hi,

In article ,
Peter wrote:
My presumption, from reading their recommendation, was that the call sign
prefix (or suffix) would end with passing the checkride.

In short, we agree.

If that is their recommendation, then yes, we agree that would be an odd
'forced' cut-off.

It'd be interesting to see if the CAA were to come after a qualified PPL
that used the Tyro (or whatever) prefix to indicate inexperience...

Andy
Old July 19th 07, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
george

On Jul 19, 1:36 pm, Jay Beckman wrote:
I trained at a Class D under Class B and I never used (nor felt the
need to use) the "S" word during my lessons or solo flights.

I work in sports TV and I'm certain that gave me a big leg up on
dealing with comms. When I'm at work, I wear a headset, I listen to
multiple faceless voices while scanning multiple screens, all the
while having to remain focused on specific tasks yet keep the big
picture in mind. Sure sounds like flying to me.

Many years ago when I was a student pilot I was probably in the safest
period of my flying life.
I was on a familiar field and under the supervision of at least 2
instructors.
And a tower that could handle a pilot who could and once did say
'Negative" as they tried to clear me to land crosswind.
The term IS 'pilot in command'
On the various crosscountries I did toward my PPL I'd been briefed
upon the different airfields that I would be landing at and had to do
a weather check before the next leg...
And after gaining my PPL apart from checkrides and type ratings I was
more or less left to my own resources