China in space.

Old October 15th 03, 08:32 PM
Simon Robbins

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
p.s. Isn't it strange that every nation that ventures into space is
dubbed a 'naut? US= Astronaut. Russia= Cosmonaut. China= Taikonaut.
Although this generally means "space navigator" the Germans if they
ever launch their own manned flight would call theirs a Raumjaeger-
literally, "Space Hunter"- a more miltaristic term based on their
other military Jaegers: Feldjaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, Fallschirmjaeger.

Naut means "the way". Astronaut, as in "the way of the stars".
(I'm getting my explanation from Egyptian Uponaut, meaning "Opener of The
Way.")

Si

Old October 15th 03, 09:13 PM
Cub Driver

Nonsense. In Germany, astronauts are called either "Astronauten" or
"Raumfahrer" and that wouldn't change if they were launched by a
German rocket.

That's a relief! Based on my devoted study of the language, traveling
from gasthaus to gasthaus in 1958, I would have rendered it
Fernfahrter.

(By the way, I thought Germans were rather rude to American tourists,
too. Especially in the post office.)

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

see the Warbird's Forum at www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old October 15th 03, 09:49 PM
Grantland

Alan Minyard wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:48:01 GMT, "Ed Majden"
wrote:

"Alan Minyard"
The moon flights were certainly propaganda. There is nothing left to
learn from manned lunar shots. I certainly hope that the Chinese will
not waste the human lives and tremendous resources that such a mission
would entail.

You don't know very much about science if you think there is nothing
more to learn about going back to the Moon. Leaving Lunar Science aside,
the far side of the Moon is an ideal place for a radio telescope as all the
man made noise created on earth would be blocked. Also an ideal place for
an optical telescope either manned or robotic. NASA is talking of a trip to
Mars. Hell, they had better get going back to the Moon safely before they
attempt going out further. They don't have the booster capability to even
do this today.
Ed

A radio telescope on the moon? You can't be serious. Do you have any
idea how many flights would be required? Al for an optical telescope,
earth orbit is far, far more practical. Moon missions are a waste of
time and money.

Al Minyard

Yea, and France is the enemy. What a prick you are, Minyard. The
Chinese will build that station while their economy blooms; and they
will sneer in superior contempt at your obese, unwashed barbarian
whining. Filthy gaijin.

Grantland
Old October 16th 03, 12:52 AM
Daryl Hunt

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
m...
"Daryl Hunt" wrote:

That makes 4 nations. US, Russia, China and the Muppets "Pigs in

'Space'"

You left out the Duchy of Grand Fenwick.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

And the Mayor of Washington D.C.

Old October 16th 03, 01:28 AM
Roman J. Rohleder

Cub Driver schrieb:

Nonsense. In Germany, astronauts are called either "Astronauten" or
"Raumfahrer" and that wouldn't change if they were launched by a
German rocket.

That's a relief! Based on my devoted study of the language, traveling
from gasthaus to gasthaus in 1958, I would have rendered it
Fernfahrter.

g No, "fahren" applies to vehicles, ships, airships, but not to
planes and rockets.

(By the way, I thought Germans were rather rude to American tourists,
too.

Canīt comment on this (since I try to be rude to no one)... but..

Especially in the post office.)

.... that used to be normal in post offices - today they tend to ignore
the customer or pretend to be braindead. Well, some are.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: www.danford.net/letters.htm#9

Gruss, Roman
Old October 16th 03, 04:22 AM
Gernot Hassenpflug

"Ed Majden" writes:

The American space efforts were not necessarily done on their own
either. I think Mr. Newton should be given some credit along with Mr. Von
Braun and his crew. Canadian born Jim Chamberlin chief designer of the
CF-105 AVRO Arrow was basically the guy that designed the Gemini space
craft. He was one of a number of AVRO Canada engineers that headed south to
work for NASA after the sad cancellation of the Arrow project. See:
http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1999/07/06/64.asp Scientific efforts are build of
the shoulders of scientists of many nations, not just one. I think the
Chinese should be congratulated! I only hope their efforts are peaceful
ones and not cold war one-up-man-ship as was the case in the past.

Bravo for a good post amongst the rubbish! In Japan there is great
effort to continue to improve their launch rockets, but at present
there is not enough confidence to go to manned launches on their
own. The Chinese are indeed to be congratulated, vey impressive
indeed, no matter what help they had - that, after all, is the point
of scientific progress.

--
G Hassenpflug * IJN & JMSDF equipment/history fan
Old October 16th 03, 11:41 AM
tscottme

John C. Baker wrote in message

While manned space flight is an impressive technical accomplishment,

and
space exploration is important to mankind's understanding of himself,

have one thing to say to Beijing: "Welcome to 1961."

Standby for garish polyester clothing and bitter, ugly women without
bras.

--

Scott
--------

Old October 16th 03, 01:28 PM
tscottme

Ed Majden wrote in message
snip
I only hope their efforts are peaceful
ones and not cold war one-up-man-ship as was the case in the past.

Competition improves the herd, about 40 years ahead of schedule it would
seem..

--

Scott
--------

Old October 16th 03, 06:17 PM
robert arndt

Andreas Parsch wrote in message ...
robert arndt wrote:

p.s. Isn't it strange that every nation that ventures into space is
dubbed a 'naut? US= Astronaut. Russia= Cosmonaut. China= Taikonaut.
Although this generally means "space navigator" the Germans if they
ever launch their own manned flight would call theirs a Raumjaeger-
literally, "Space Hunter"- a more miltaristic term based on their
other military Jaegers: Feldjaeger, Gebirgsjaeger, Fallschirmjaeger.

Nonsense. In Germany, astronauts are called either "Astronauten" or
"Raumfahrer" and that wouldn't change if they were launched by a
German rocket.

Andreas

Andreas,

"Raumjaeger" originated with Von Braun's space ideas in the '40s even
as work was being concentrated on the A-4 rocket. You are familiar
with the entire A-series up to the A-12, the proposed German space
station, the metallic-sodium space mirror death ray, and the piloted
V-2 (EMW A6)... not to mention Sanger's Silverbird?
Although none of the space projects were accomplished, design studies
on advanced pressure suits were done with Von Braun sketching out the
first real concepts of a functional spacesuit.
The fact that German astronauts and cosmonauts adopted those foreign
names means little as they were passengers aboard foreign spacecraft.
The renewed Sanger 2-stage vehicle project was something different.
International depictions of the craft along with the models presented
were for an unmanned vehicle. However, in Germany, where a large scale
mockup of the vehicle was built as well as German models made- there
are clearly viewports incorporated into the design suggesting that the
craft was to be manned. An article on the Sanger back in the early
'90s stated that if built the Sanger would have been flown by
Luftwaffe pilots which at that time were to be called "Jaegernaut"- a
name originating with the foreign publication. The article (which
could have been AW&ST IIRC) further stated that the Sanger was being
considered for dual-purpose usage as a launcher of LEO weapons.
So, don't assume that any future German manned launch would be an ESA
peace mission. If Sanger is ever built the very first payload might
very well be a spy sat or other military package. Even if not built
and a German rocket is launched instead, German nationalism will
guarantee a different name.
Raumfahrer? Never. Raumjaeger or Jaegernaut, probably.

Rob
Old October 16th 03, 06:24 PM
Ed Majden

Scott wrote:
Competition improves the herd, about 40 years ahead of schedule it would
seem..

Fear and funding improves the herd. Trucking up instrumentation or
supplies to a space station does not excite the public. They have short
attention spans and soon loose interest. Politicians are also reluctant to
allocate funds if they aren't in the limelight and getting votes cast their
way. Maybe this China success will put a sparc back into space exploration!

FS: 1979 "The National Air and Space Museum" 1st Edition Book J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 October 11th 04 08:24 AM
Space Elevator Big John Home Built 111 July 21st 04 04:31 PM
FS: 1979 "The National Air and Space Museum" 1st Edition out-of-print Book J.R. Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 January 19th 04 05:19 AM
Strategic Command Missions Rely on Space Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 30th 03 09:59 PM
FS: 1979 "The National Air and Space Museum" 1st Edition out-of-print Book Jim Sinclair Aviation Marketplace 0 September 3rd 03 11:49 AM