Russian Military Technology

Old January 3rd 04, 01:45 PM
BUFDRVR

Default Russian Military Technology

The best the Russians can do is hope for a chance hit on a helicopter with
an RPG.

But you have to give them credit for that one....although its surface-to-air
capability was not part of the design and not discovered by the
Russians....maybe they don't deserve any credit. Maybe this is the key to
Russian military hardware, find alternative uses for it. Maybe a T-72 makes an
outstanding toaster oven? A MiG-29 as stero system? The possibilities are
nearly endless

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old January 3rd 04, 02:26 PM

While I am a 'Firefox' fan, I really don't believe you included it. I
suppose it really is a Western design to tell the truth anyway. A
British author created Firefox, then Clint Eastwood, 'brought her to
life'. (Still wish he would've done 'Firefox Down", too, tho.) Even the
full size mockup uses American F-4 Phantom parts! If you're going this
route, I bet Blue Thunder could really smoke a Hokum's ass & Airwolf
could smoke a MiG-29 or Su-37! After all, Airwolf took out MiG-23s/27s &
Mirages routinely, 'cause I saw it on TV & TV's been around a LOT longer
than the 'net, so I KNOW it's true! You've left out a few other
fictional Soviet stuff too, like the 'Hellhound' gunship helo, 'Red
October' sub that I know of.

Old January 3rd 04, 07:40 PM
Krztalizer

and how much Western aid is required for Russia to accomplish all this...?

Never mind - we already know.

Gordon
Old January 3rd 04, 11:53 PM
WaltBJ

Every now and then I waste a little time wondering what will happen
when someone puts electrical power back on the ships of the Russian
navy or the Black Sea Fleet. There was one picture I saw that made me
feel sorry for the Russian Air Force - MiG29s with tarps tied around
them parked on pavement with weeds three feet high growing in the
cracks in the concrete. Getting those babies airworthy again will take
some hard work.
Walt BJ
Old January 4th 04, 12:16 AM
Krztalizer

snip "Ode to the RPG"

Before you get all excited about this "Soviet wonderweapon", remember that it
is nothing more than a modernized Panzerfaust 60. Thank goodness the Russian
war machine can build really good copies of captured German stuff, eh?

So this weapon has been holding its own 40 years, and if anything it's
getting more powerful, more effective.

Try 60+ years for the basic design.

Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old January 4th 04, 02:20 AM
Tank Fixer

In article , waltbj01
@mindspring.com says...
Every now and then I waste a little time wondering what will happen
when someone puts electrical power back on the ships of the Russian
navy or the Black Sea Fleet. There was one picture I saw that made me
feel sorry for the Russian Air Force - MiG29s with tarps tied around
them parked on pavement with weeds three feet high growing in the
cracks in the concrete. Getting those babies airworthy again will take
some hard work.
Walt BJ

How long would it take to smelt them all down and build some real aircraft
from them ?

--
When dealing with propaganda terminology one sometimes always speaks in
variable absolutes. This is not to be mistaken for an unbiased slant.
Old January 4th 04, 02:39 AM
Chad Irby

In article t,
Tank Fixer wrote:

In article , waltbj01
@mindspring.com says...
Every now and then I waste a little time wondering what will happen
when someone puts electrical power back on the ships of the Russian
navy or the Black Sea Fleet. There was one picture I saw that made me
feel sorry for the Russian Air Force - MiG29s with tarps tied around
them parked on pavement with weeds three feet high growing in the
cracks in the concrete. Getting those babies airworthy again will take
some hard work.

How long would it take to smelt them all down and build some real aircraft
from them ?

Well, since they seem to have been designed for use as target drones,
just slap a good R/C unit on them and get in some parctice.

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.
Old January 4th 04, 02:43 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Chad Irby" wrote in message
. com...
In article t,
Tank Fixer wrote:

In article , waltbj01
@mindspring.com says...
Every now and then I waste a little time wondering what will happen
when someone puts electrical power back on the ships of the Russian
navy or the Black Sea Fleet. There was one picture I saw that made me
feel sorry for the Russian Air Force - MiG29s with tarps tied around
them parked on pavement with weeds three feet high growing in the
cracks in the concrete. Getting those babies airworthy again will take
some hard work.

How long would it take to smelt them all down and build some real

aircraft
from them ?

Well, since they seem to have been designed for use as target drones,
just slap a good R/C unit on them and get in some parctice.

Even a target drone is not of much use if it only exhibits a 40 or 50% OR
rate--hard to shoot that puppy down if you can't get it up in the first
place.

Brooks

cirby at cfl.rr.com

Slam on brakes accordingly.

Old January 4th 04, 04:13 AM
Felger Carbon

\"WaltBJ" wrote in message
om...
MiG29s with tarps tied around
them parked on pavement with weeds three feet high growing in the
cracks in the concrete.

Walt, I've never been able to figure out why Su-27 Flankers are
considered such hot stuff, but AFAIK the Mig-29 is not well regarded
by anyone, even the Russkys. Wha? They are close to being the same
airframe!