Armed forces of an independent Scotland

Old July 9th 04, 01:04 AM
Madra Dubh

"Ian Morrison" wrote in message
news:34e07cb7f29311f1e07f330690f839b0.3570@mygate. mailgate.org...
"josiah-jenkins" wrote in message

Scottish Piranha (Queen's Regiment)
abbreviated to "SPQR"
(Senatus Populusque Romanus",
ie "The Senate and People of Rome.")
tenuous

Extremely tenuous!

link to "Pontius Pilate's Bodyguard"
(the Royal Scots,
oldest Infantry Regiment of the Line in the British Army)

Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?"). I'm pretty sure it is the Royal Scots
that he is in.

The smell was the clue?

Old July 9th 04, 02:01 AM
Robert Peffers

"BfB" wrote in message ...

"Robert Peffers" wrote in message

"phil hunt" wrote in message
rg...
There's recently been speculation in the media that UK defence cuts
ewill result in some or all of Scotland's infantry regiments being
disbanded[1]. If Scotland became an independent state, what
sort of armed forces should it have -- if you were appointed
Scottish minister of defence, what would you do?

[1] see for example:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/3310763.stm,

http://scotlandtoday.scottishtv.co.u...e=s1_1_1&newsi
d=4282

(Email: zen19725 at zen dot co dot uk)

Frae Auld bob Peffers:
Well Denmark does very well as they are. Anyway Scotland would be

entitled
to her share of the UK armed forces, (or if not we could hang on to ALL

the
nukes as hostages). If they don't give us our proper share the Indians,
Pakistanis, Israelis or even the Palestinians may pay well for them.

Even
the Koreas have nuclear ambitions.

It seems fairly clear to me. Her Majesty will still remain Queen of Scots
and thus Her Majesty's Forces will also be partly Scotland's. Union of the
Crowns joined the Countries under one monarch, It took another 04 years
before the Act of Union joined the Parliaments but each country remained a
country. That is a precident for a monarch to be monarch of two independent
countries. Is that clear enough? So, that being the case, and the fact that
Scottish taxpayers paid for a share of all the United Kingdom Of Great
Britain and Nothern Ireland's forces we are well entitled to our fair share
of everything. Is that clear enough?.

Now, if the rest of Great Britain and Nothern Ireland were to refuse to give
Scotland her fair share of the armed forces, we would just have to hang on
to what was already in Scotland and that would include almost the entire
nuclear armaments of the former union. That must be clear enough? Scotland
has shown in countless surveys she has no more wish to have nuclear arm in
Scotland than the English wish them in England, why else did they choose to
send most of them to Scotland and about as far away from London as they
could get. Ergo, Scotland does not want them. We would thus be well within
our rights to sell them to the highest bidder to get enough money to provide
a conventional force for Scotland's defence. After all, in that situation,
Scotland would have thus been cheated by the remaining part of the UK. Why
then would we be wish to be loyal to them? That is not complicated.

If trust and loyalty are to be retained then it will be because we deal
with each other as friends with many common interests. High among those
common interests are the defence of all the countries in Great Britain. If
one side cheats the other then that kind of relationship dies and devil take
the hindmost. Just why do so many folk think everything belongs to England?
We joind together by a treaty. Scotland is a legal partner and not a
defeated and conquered enemy. We have legal rights to our share of joint
assets.

'But senior civil servants say the current level of poor Army recruiting

and
retention cannot go on. Already, Scottish regiments rely on hundreds of
Fijian soldiers to bolster the ranks, at a time when commitments to Iraq

and
Afghanistan are mounting.'

--

Aefauldlie, (Scots word for Honestly),
Robert, (Auld Bob), Peffers,

---
Aa ootgannin screivings maun hae nae wee beasties wi thaim..
Checked by AVG anti-virus system (
http://www.grisoft.com).

Old July 9th 04, 03:15 AM
Peter Kemp

On Thu, 8 Jul 2004 23:29:57 +0100, "Robert Peffers"
wrote:

Oirish! ye soondit mair lik aa Sootheron til me. Aiblins yo maun bi an
Inglis Oirisher? DARFC

Just a pur wee English lad here (though my Mam is Danish). Nothing but
respect for the lads north of the Border though (and not just becasue
my Boss is one of them).

Peter Kemp
Old July 9th 04, 10:46 AM
Robert Peffers

wrote:

Oirish! ye soondit mair lik aa Sootheron til me. Aiblins yo maun bi an
Inglis Oirisher? DARFC

Just a pur wee English lad here (though my Mam is Danish). Nothing but
respect for the lads north of the Border though (and not just becasue
my Boss is one of them).

Peter Kemp

Frae Auld Bob Peffers:
The first thing to learn about scs is that our favourite sport is
leg-pulling. We never knowingly miss a chance. You are welcome here and we
don't really care where you come from. It can be quite funny for a while
when new posters turn up to troll Scots, for many of the regulars here are
from all over the World. More of them in fact than native Scots. Sometimes
it is a bit strange for humour in different countries can fly over the heads
of others. So, in Scots, "Cam oan awa ben the hoose an bide a wee", (Come on
it and stay a while).

Old July 9th 04, 02:14 PM
Adam Whyte-Settlar

wrote:

Oirish! ye soondit mair lik aa Sootheron til me. Aiblins yo maun bi an
Inglis Oirisher? DARFC

Just a pur wee English lad here (though my Mam is Danish). Nothing but
respect for the lads north of the Border though (and not just becasue
my Boss is one of them).

Peter Kemp

I'm intrigued. What possible other reason could there be?
A W-S

Old July 9th 04, 02:54 PM
BUFF

"Ian Morrison" wrote in message
news:34e07cb7f29311f1e07f330690f839b0.3570@mygate. mailgate.org...

Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?"). I'm pretty sure it is the Royal Scots
that he is in.

probably as mechanised infantry in Warriors APCs - tracked but not a tank.

Old July 9th 04, 08:43 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , BUFF
writes
"Ian Morrison" wrote in message
news:34e07cb7f29311f1e07f330690f839b0.3570@mygate .mailgate.org...
Are they not a tank regiment now? An ex-neighbour of mine was sent to
Ir*q as part of the recent illegal invasion force and he was in a tank
(his mother reportedly said "can you imagine what it smells like in a
tank full of 18 year old boys?").

probably as mechanised infantry in Warriors APCs - tracked but not a tank.

It's tracked, it's got a turret, it's a tank to any roving reporter.
(Just because the Army call it an 'infantry fighting vehicle' - what do
a bunch of illiterate squaddies know that a highly-trained reporter
doesn't?)

Just like any rowboat with a GPMG is a "battleship" and a Piper Cub or
Cessna becomes an "advanced attack aircraft" when the meedja get
frothing.

--
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
Julius Caesar I:2

Old July 9th 04, 08:50 PM
Paul J. Adam

In message , Robert Peffers
writes
Frae Auld bob Peffers:
Well Denmark does very well as they are. Anyway Scotland would be entitled
to her share of the UK armed forces,

Sure, but it means you get to pay for them (and most of the support and
TacDev is way down south, meaning you need to pay again to duplicate it
if it's a hostile split). Balkanisation isn't usually a good idea (I
mean, _look_ at the Balkans - would _you_ want to live there?)

(or if not we could hang on to ALL the
nukes as hostages). If they don't give us our proper share the Indians,
Pakistanis, Israelis or even the Palestinians may pay well for them. Even
the Koreas have nuclear ambitions.

Careful there - the US might remember the Auld Alliance and decide that
Scotland is close enough to France to become part of the Axis of Evil.
Trying to auction nuclear warheads might get some unwelcome gatecrashers
(besides, most of the customers are short on manners, and might decide
that it was easier to kill other bidders than match their price, then
the auctioneer gets hit in the crossfire, and where's your profit then?)

Aefauldlie, (Scots word for Honestly),
Robert, (Auld Bob), Peffers,
Kelty,
Fife,
Scotland, (UK).

Fife, is it? My mother's from Aberdeen and my father from Perth, though
I was born just south of the Tyne.

Old July 9th 04, 08:53 PM
Peter Kemp

On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 01:14:55 +1200, "Adam Whyte-Settlar"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Oirish! ye soondit mair lik aa Sootheron til me. Aiblins yo maun bi an
Inglis Oirisher? DARFC

Just a pur wee English lad here (though my Mam is Danish). Nothing but
respect for the lads north of the Border though (and not just becasue
my Boss is one of them).

Peter Kemp

I'm intrigued. What possible other reason could there be?

The sheer mastery of the fast paced but brutal sport of curling, what
else ;-)

No, to be honest, after a few nights on the Isle of Bute one year
sipping pints of heavy as the sun set across the I've never had a bad
word (well, not a serious one) to say for the Scots or thier land.
Great place, great beer.

Peter Kemp
Old July 9th 04, 09:48 PM
Robert Peffers

"Paul J. Adam" wrote in message
In message , BUFF
writes
[...]

Oh! Aye! I've met your type of people all my working life. I worked in
Radio/RADAR/SONAR/RADIC and other military electronic fields from 1952 until
I retired. Now. in certain specialities, I also did work for other branches
of the armed forces and even hospitals and, believe it or not, museums.

However, it was common for certain service personnel to have the same
attitude you show in the above post. You thought you were the experts and
knew better than all those stupid civvies. Well, laddie, here is how it
went. The instructor on the service's courses would go through the course
like this. (They used Fimms Diagrams, you know the kind of thing) , {Is the
switch on or off? If off - do this, If on - do that}. "--- and if that does
not fix it you go to the next step -- -- -- and this goes on till the end of
the Fimms.

We were all in civvies clothes in the class so at this point we civvies
would stick our hands up and ask, "And if that does not work, Sir, What do
we do then"? The answer was always the same, "Oh! Then you call in the
Dockyard". To which all the civvies in the class would cry in chorus, "But,
Sir, we are the Dockyard". Now the main point I make is this is that we were
the experts, not them. Who the hell did they think drew up the Fimms
diagrams?

We had, though, always to then go through the laid down courses to get a
certificate in the particular equipments we were the experts on in order to
work on them after the ships went into full Naval service. That was the
regulation. Some daft P.O, Chiefie or bloody mechanic on the ships who had
called us in because they had reached the end of the Fimms and failed to
diagnose the problem thought they knew better than us.

That is not to say there are not very good POs CPOs and mechs out there for
most were real good 'uns. There were, though, some real duffers and it was
they who always knew better.