ugly airplane question

Old March 6th 09, 07:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JD Cooper[_5_]

Default ugly airplane question

looking for a picture of it. it was a Russian craft, had six engines (as
I recall) had seats for passengers, very slow, very ugly and only one
built. I think I recall it was a high wing design. crashed and killed
everybody aboard, seems I remember it being late thirties.

TIA

JD
Old March 6th 09, 10:28 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Anyolmouse

"JD Cooper" wrote in message
looking for a picture of it. it was a Russian craft, had six engines

(as
I recall) had seats for passengers, very slow, very ugly and only one
built. I think I recall it was a high wing design. crashed and killed
everybody aboard, seems I remember it being late thirties.

TIA

JD

Do you mean this one? http://englishrussia.com/?p=2231 The second
photo down is the actual picture of it. Also one towards the bottom of
the page. Notice the rounded nacelles on the real one.The others are
photo graphics.

--
Anyolmouse

Old March 7th 09, 02:32 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
J.F.

The Tupolev ANT-20 (also known as the Maxim Gorky) was a Soviet six engined
aircraft, the largest in the 1930s.

The ANT-20 was a giant eight-engined propaganda monoplane, developed from
the TB-4. The ANT-20 carried 72 passengers. It also lifted a bar and buffet,
film processing lab, and a movie theater, besides a laundry, a pharmacy and
a printing press. This indicates that it was used above the more remote
areas of the USSR, places that still did without the blessing of
civilization. It was also fitted with loudspeakers.
Lost in accident after pilot of escorting fighter started to loop around the
wing and crushed into it. Its replacement was ANT-20bis;

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aeroflot_ANT-20bis.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	33122
Old March 7th 09, 03:53 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Lee[_2_]

"J.F." rudely blurted out
:

The Tupolev ANT-20 (also known as the Maxim Gorky) was a
Soviet six engined aircraft, the largest in the 1930s.

The ANT-20 was a giant eight-engined propaganda monoplane,
developed from the TB-4. The ANT-20 carried 72 passengers.
It also lifted a bar and buffet, film processing lab, and a
movie theater, besides a laundry, a pharmacy and a printing
press. This indicates that it was used above the more
remote areas of the USSR, places that still did without the
blessing of civilization. It was also fitted with
loudspeakers. Lost in accident after pilot of escorting
fighter started to loop around the wing and crushed into
it. Its replacement was ANT-20bis;

Attachment decoded: untitled-2.txt
------=_NextPart_000_0181_01C99E9A.A4348F70

Attachment decoded: Aeroflot_ANT-20bis.jpg
------=_NextPart_000_0181_01C99E9A.A4348F70--

If not the UGLIEST, certainly the
world's largest wheel pants!

Gawd, using the men as measuring
rules, the things are at least
11' tall and 8' wide!

Without doing any research on this
Antonov, I count 6 engines.
Either a variant added 2 more or
there are a pair of pushers not seen.
Waddya think? Also, is that a fuel
probe twixt #3 and the fuselage?
Old March 7th 09, 04:39 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
J.F.

I did see one image that had 2 pushers mounted between the wings. I cannot
find it...........

Old March 7th 09, 06:09 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
John Godwin

"J.F." wrote in
:

The Tupolev ANT-20 (also known as the Maxim Gorky) was a Soviet
six engined aircraft, the largest in the 1930s.

The ANT-20 was a giant eight-engined propaganda monoplane,
developed from the TB-4. The ANT-20 carried 72 passengers.

The ANT-20 had 8 engines, the ANT-20bis had 6.

Old March 7th 09, 08:56 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
TacAN

JD Cooper wrote:
looking for a picture of it. it was a Russian craft, had six engines (as
I recall) had seats for passengers, very slow, very ugly and only one
built. I think I recall it was a high wing design. crashed and killed
everybody aboard, seems I remember it being late thirties.

TIA

JD

There's a couple of unusual aircraft on this page.

The one below the picture of the KA-7

http://www.funonthenet.in/articles/b...airplanes.html

Graham
Old March 8th 09, 02:45 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Herman

NO aircraft is ever ugly.

Regards,
Herman

"J.F." schreef in bericht

Old March 10th 09, 02:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JD Cooper[_5_]

J.F. wrote:
The Tupolev ANT-20 (also known as the Maxim Gorky) was a Soviet six
engined aircraft, the largest in the 1930s.

The ANT-20 was a giant eight-engined propaganda monoplane, developed
from the TB-4. The ANT-20 carried 72 passengers. It also lifted a bar
and buffet, film processing lab, and a movie theater, besides a laundry,
a pharmacy and a printing press. This indicates that it was used above
the more remote areas of the USSR, places that still did without the
blessing of civilization. It was also fitted with loudspeakers.
Lost in accident after pilot of escorting fighter started to loop around
the wing and crushed into it. Its replacement was ANT-20bis;

Thanks! I believe this one was what I was looking for.

JD