Check in ...East Coast BLACKOUT

Old August 16th 03, 12:40 AM
Wizard of Draws

Roger Halstead wrote:

One thing that has changed...my posts are showing up right away...they
often take as long as 12 to 24 hours on some of the newsgroups.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

I'm only getting half of my normal allotment of SPAM. Sliver lining and
all that.
--
Jeff 'The Wizard of Draws' Bucchino

"Cartoons with a Touch of Magic"
http://www.wizardofdraws.com
http://www.cartoonclipart.com

Arnold for Governor!
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/store/terminator.html
Old August 16th 03, 01:44 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 13:31:47 -0700, "Tom S." wrote:

"Tom S." wrote in message

"Morgans" wrote in message

"Roger Halstead" wrote in message

One thing that has changed...my posts are showing up right away...they
often take as long as 12 to 24 hours on some of the newsgroups.

Roger Halstead
*****************************

Really? Mine commonly show up within 2 or 3 minutes.

Mine show up in seconds. Hit "send", then "refresh" and there it is.

Yup!

Rub it in! Rub it in! :-))

Newsgroup service here has been really poor for some time. Not sure
why, but prior to yesterday I could count on it taking as much as 12
to 24 hours for my post to appear. Yet I might see two or three
answers prior to my original showing up.

Old August 16th 03, 01:55 AM
Roger Halstead

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 23:40:11 GMT, Wizard of Draws
wrote:

Roger Halstead wrote:

One thing that has changed...my posts are showing up right away...they
often take as long as 12 to 24 hours on some of the newsgroups.

www.rogerhalstead.com
N833R World's oldest Debonair? (S# CD-2)

I'm only getting half of my normal allotment of SPAM. Sliver lining and
all that.

Ur right...it is down...Only 48 so far and almost all of those were
filtered out. It's usually about 60 a day for the past couple of
months....

However if you want spam to go down you need to shut the power off in
Florida, not the NE.

BTW, virtually every post tonight has been hit send, refresh and I
find it. Refreshing.

Old August 16th 03, 05:43 AM
John E. Carty

"Peter R." wrote in message
ds.com...
Roger Halstead ) wrote:

BTW, that "out east" is kind of a slight to the people who are without
power. It extends to the west as far as (and apparently started in
Ohio). It also covers a good portion of lower Michigan

Roger, any point east of California is out east to some!

--
Peter

That should read Back East and Out West :-)

Old August 16th 03, 04:23 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Wizard of Draws wrote:

I'm only getting half of my normal allotment of SPAM. Sliver lining and
all that.

I've been told that much of the telemarketing business is located in Toronto,
which was affected by the blackout. Wonder if it's a big center for spam
generators?

George Patterson
Brute force has an elegance all its own.
Old August 16th 03, 05:38 PM
Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo

"Peter R." wrote:

Dr. Anthony J. Lomenzo wrote:

I had to add this one...so about the 5th hour of the power outage my
wife and I are listening to the portable radio and this lady calls in
and we hear... "Perhaps it's times like these when it's inconvenient to
lose power of course but then it's also a time for the family to finally
gather together and share long overdue quality time together" and within
moments of that comment, so help me, we hear from the background a
rather blustery, "Hey! Gimme that friggin' flashlight, Joey, or I'll bop
you with it!" So much for family huddled 'quality time.'

That is classic! It must have been hilarious to hear it in real time.

--
Peter

Peter:

Normally they have these 3 seconds [or more, dunno] delays for such
things [although they themselves were on generator power and possibly
the more fancy electronic gizmos were not functioning...dunno] and there
is always the possibility of a set-up because when there's just nothing
on in those kind of large area emergency situations, radio stations turn
to the phones for folks to essentially check-in and give reports but the
stuff coming in is amazing ranging from those who feel the end is upon
us and thus all should repent or that it's a terrorist movement of some
sort and others, let us say, by the speech and demeanor being obvious
'victims of the thirst' [or grape] as the Irish brethren would say.

This one was just totally unexpected BUT as anyone who has children can
testify [or recall], it 'can' get hairy as time goes on and the kids
have nothing to do when candles and essentially staring at each other or
the ceiling is the sum total of passing the hours [I pulled out the old
folk guitar but, hey, how long can I keep that up when the fingers begin
hurting after so many years of non use!] beyond the first 3 or 4...or
so. And 91 degrees heat and 100% humidity notwithstanding. Yet, did you
catch most of those news report beginnings, Peter, where the classic
[under]-statement was "...Well, this was not supposed to happen
folks...but it did!" and then the equally classic aftermath of such
things: the fixing of the blame. So far, I've heard the fault put on
everything from the 'Big Apple' to Canada to Ohio [!] to, you guessed
it, Al Quaeda [how the hell is that properly spelled anyway!? I've seen
about 5 different versions!] operative machinations.

Doc Tony
Old August 16th 03, 07:46 PM
Robert Perkins

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 19:11:16 GMT, "Dave Stadt"
wrote:

One government nit wit gave out a WEB address on a news program for those
without power to log onto to get status of the problem. Announcer made a
comment about the guy being out of touch with reality and dumped the phone
line.

Uh... modern laptops connected to a land telephone line would have had
at least 4 hours of battery life for a careful user to shepherd all
the way through the crisis, to get updates.

But an AM or shortwave radio would have lasted much much longer.

Rob
Old August 16th 03, 10:30 PM
Roger Halstead

wrote:

One government nit wit gave out a WEB address on a news program for those
without power to log onto to get status of the problem. Announcer made a
comment about the guy being out of touch with reality and dumped the phone
line.

Uh... modern laptops connected to a land telephone line would have had
at least 4 hours of battery life for a careful user to shepherd all
the way through the crisis, to get updates.

But an AM or shortwave radio would have lasted much much longer.

Although the telephone companies use DC and *HUGE* battery banks there
were several that did go down.

I wonder how they backup the cell towers and how long the will stay up
without the power lines.

Of the modern countries the US is ranked as the lowest when it comes
to cell phones as the primary phone.

Old August 17th 03, 12:38 AM
Dave Stadt

wrote:

One government nit wit gave out a WEB address on a news program for those
without power to log onto to get status of the problem. Announcer made a
comment about the guy being out of touch with reality and dumped the

phone
line.

Uh... modern laptops connected to a land telephone line would have had
at least 4 hours of battery life for a careful user to shepherd all
the way through the crisis, to get updates.

Uh.....as they watched their solar powered TVs to get the WEB address.

But an AM or shortwave radio would have lasted much much longer.

Only if powered by batteries and fresh ones at that.

Rob