CNX-80 -> GNS-480 upgrade: no longer resets to 1200?

Old January 31st 05, 03:29 PM
Roy Smith

Default CNX-80 -> GNS-480 upgrade: no longer resets to 1200?

My club is upgrading our collection of CNX-80's to the new GNS-480
software. We've noticed that when hooked up to a slaved xponder, the
squawk code is no longer reset to 1200 when you power down the unit.
The way we noticed this is having a few people "reminded" by the tower
that they should be squawking 1200 on VFR departures :-)

The units used to power-up squawking 1200. Now they come up
remembering the last code entered on the previous flight. This
doesn't seem very useful. Is this a deliberate design decision by
Garmin? Something imposed by the FAA? Or is it just a configuration
setting that can be changed by the user?

By-the-way, the vertical guidance on non-precision LNAV/GNAV
approaches is pretty neat. Constant descent profile, instead of dive
and drive. Less workload, easier on the engine, just all around
better in every way.
Old January 31st 05, 05:48 PM
Roy Smith

In article , Scott D. wrote:
On 31 Jan 2005 10:29:41 -0500, (Roy Smith) wrote:

My club is upgrading our collection of CNX-80's to the new GNS-480
software.

Just kind of curious, but how much did the upgrade cost?

I'm not actually sure; I don't see the bills :-)
Old January 31st 05, 08:14 PM
Juan Jimenez

It would seem to me that this is a good thing. If you loose power in the
airplane, and then somehow get it to come up again, and you're still in the
air, it would be preferable to have the transponder stick to the last code.

If you're on the ground, this can be easily resolved with a club-wide
checklist item update.

Old January 31st 05, 09:57 PM
Dude

Most Garmin units that I have used do not recycle to 1200. I have used 327,
330, and G1000. They do all have a VFR button though. I am unaware of any
way to reset this.

Old January 31st 05, 10:01 PM
Doug Vetter

Roy Smith wrote:
My club is upgrading our collection of CNX-80's to the new GNS-480
software. We've noticed that when hooked up to a slaved xponder, the
squawk code is no longer reset to 1200 when you power down the unit.
The way we noticed this is having a few people "reminded" by the tower
that they should be squawking 1200 on VFR departures :-)

snip

This is intentional, and highly desired in the event of a momentary
interruption in power while in flight. The Garmin GTX330 functions in
the same way, and based on 6+ months flying with it, I'd never have it
any other way. Check out my review of the 330 for mo

Aviation - Articles - Maintenance - Avionics 2004

As far as taking off with the transponder set incorrectly, it sounds
like someone needs to teach your pilots how to use checklists, and I'm
not talking about just reading the list. Do the FLOW first, then backup
with the checklist, and stuff like this won't happen.

And, by the way, if the existing checklist doesn't have "Transponder:
CODE SET" in the Pre-Taxi or maybe Before Takeoff section...(as opposed
to Transponder: ON, which is a separate checklist item that belongs in
the In Position section), it's time to build a new checklist. You may
find some suitable raw materials on my site:

Aviation - Services - Checklists - Samples (Free)

Safe flying,

-Doug

--
--------------------
Doug Vetter, CFIMEIA

http://www.dvcfi.com
--------------------
Old January 31st 05, 10:39 PM

Ok, you 480 aces. Here's one I'd like to know the answer to.

You are out on an instrument proficiency ride. You fail the 480
by pulling its circuit breaker to see if the guy can still work the old
stuff.

Does this affect what the remote transponder is squaking?

Seems like it should reply to serial requests to change, but I don't
know.

Bill Hale BPPP

Old February 1st 05, 05:02 PM
Roy Smith

In article , Dude wrote:
Most Garmin units that I have used do not recycle to 1200. I have used 327,
330, and G1000. They do all have a VFR button though. I am unaware of any
way to reset this.

We got an answer from Garmin today:

Actually we did change it to do that. That's because of people not
realizing that the SL70 reset to 1200 and they got burned by ATC for
squitting 1200 in the D.C. ADIZ.

No, it's not user selectable. Sorry.

Regards,
John Hendrickson
Technical Support
Garmin AT Inc

Old February 2nd 05, 05:42 PM
Ron Rosenfeld

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:32:22 -0700, Scott D. wrote:

Just kind of curious, but how much did the upgrade cost?

There was no charge either from Garmin or from my shop for the upgrade --
done about 11 months after purchase.

I do not believe Garmin is charging any current owners for the upgrade.

Old February 3rd 05, 06:31 AM
Scott D.

On Wed, 02 Feb 2005 12:42:40 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 10:32:22 -0700, Scott D. wrote:

Just kind of curious, but how much did the upgrade cost?

There was no charge either from Garmin or from my shop for the upgrade --
done about 11 months after purchase.

I do not believe Garmin is charging any current owners for the upgrade.

Thanks for the Info. I haven't really checked into the differences
between the two softwares. Is it really a must or is it something
that I can be without?

Scott D

To email remove spamcatcher