Annuals are such fun

Old February 2nd 05, 03:39 PM

Default Annuals are such fun

Got a call from the mechanic "fuel cap gaskets are worn, need
replacement" me: fine, replace gaskets
Another call from mech "uhh, no part number on the fuel caps, not
normal piper part, therefore no approved gasket can be found, have to
replace caps AND gaskets" me: OK, I guess no choice
another call from mech: "piper wants $250 each for new caps"
me: long silence uhhmm can you find used ones?
another call from mech: " found another source, only $180 each"
me: (sigh)

Old February 2nd 05, 03:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Got a call from the mechanic "fuel cap gaskets are worn, need
replacement" me: fine, replace gaskets
Another call from mech "uhh, no part number on the fuel caps, not
normal piper part, therefore no approved gasket can be found, have to
replace caps AND gaskets" me: OK, I guess no choice
another call from mech: "piper wants $250 each for new caps"
me: long silence uhhmm can you find used ones?
another call from mech: " found another source, only $180 each"
me: (sigh)

That's total B.S. Those gaskets are easily available. (I'm assuming
you're a Cherokee-driver?)

You *are* a member of the Cherokee Pilots Association, aren't you? If so,
go to "Cherokee Chat" and inquire as to where you can obtain this gasket.

You'll get 20 answers in 10 minutes, and save yourself $350.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 2nd 05, 04:03 PM
Aaron Coolidge

Jay Honeck wrote:
: That's total B.S. Those gaskets are easily available. (I'm assuming
: you're a Cherokee-driver?)

I think the Original Poster said that the gas caps themselves were not
original Piper parts and the mech. was requiring them to be replaced.
In the past, someone made locking gas caps for the Cherokee tanks, but they
are long out of business.
--
Aaron C.
Old February 2nd 05, 04:51 PM
kage

wrote in message
oups.com...
Got a call from the mechanic "fuel cap gaskets are worn, need
replacement" me: fine, replace gaskets
Another call from mech "uhh, no part number on the fuel caps, not
normal piper part, therefore no approved gasket can be found, have to
replace caps AND gaskets" me: OK, I guess no choice
another call from mech: "piper wants $250 each for new caps"
me: long silence uhhmm can you find used ones?
another call from mech: " found another source, only $180 each"
me: (sigh)

You are extremely fortunate to have a mechanic that takes the time and
effort to find all the bogus alterations on your Piper. Especially on the
fuel system.

Subscribe to "Trade-a-Plane" and look for good deals, then count your
blessings and pull out your checkbook. Do it right!

Karl
No bucks, no Buck Rogers!

Old February 2nd 05, 07:44 PM

Aaron Coolidge wrote:

In the past, someone made locking gas caps for the Cherokee tanks,

but they
are long out of business.

I don't recall an STC or PMA for Cherokee locking gas caps, but Piper
did and currently does sell these. Probably not very many though.
Last time I checked they were better than $700 each.

I always thought these caps would be a great opportunity for a 3rd
party PMA or STC. Lots of owners seem to want them, but no one in
their right mind is going to pony up $1,400+ for a set of locking gas
caps.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old February 3rd 05, 12:17 AM
Jay Honeck

He said that the caps were not the correct caps.

Whoops -- I missed that.

Carry on...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 3rd 05, 05:19 AM
RST Engineering

21.303.b.2

Get the old fuel cap gasket. Get some cork gasket material. Get a sharp
knife. Cut a new gasket. $5 at the OUTSIDE. Owner produced part. End of
story.

Jim

oups.com...